I. CORRESPONDENCE AND MEMORABILIA
- folder 1: Correspondence, 1953; 1963-1965
- folder 2: Correspondence, 1966-1979
- folder 3: Correspondence, 1980-1997; undated
- folder 4: Benson, Mary. 1964-1966 [twelve letters from Mary Benson, political activist, author; biographer of Nelson Mandela]
- folder 5: Berry, John, et al. 1963-1970. Includes nine letters from the American director and collaborator John Berry, Circle in the Square Theatre, and eleven letters from Margie Goldsmith, close friend of Berry and the costume designer for Boesman and Lena, all concerning the production of Fugard's plays, 1960s. Also 12 pages of typed notes for Boesman and Lena, May 9, 1970.
- folder 6: [John Berry] News clippings, May-June 1970, sent to Fugard, mostly re: production of Boesman and Lena, also about Fugard's passport problems, etc.
- folder 7: British Broadcasting Corp./South African Broadcasting Corp., 1967-1976. Includes Robin Midgley and Leslie James Seth-Smith, et al.
- folder 8: Fugard, Athol. 1953-1954. Seven letters to his mother or parents.
- folder 9: Fugard, Sheila. 1963-1964. Four letters from Fugard's wife to him in New York after he was deported from Zambia; one from her, 1970, to Athol Fugard's mother.
- folder 10: Gordimer, Nadine. 1961, 1964. Two letters
- folder 11: Mokae, Zakes. 1962-1971. Six letters from longtime friend and lead actor in many of Fugard's plays.
- folder 12: Schneider, Irving. 1964-1965; 1967. Twenty-four letters from Irving Schneider, the producer of People are Living There, regarding the script and production. Also a five page letter from Lindsay Anderson, June 23, 1965, enclosing six pages of "Notes on Specific Points in the Script."
- folder 13: "Letters from black actors in my Port Elizabeth theatre group who were sentenced various periods of imprisonment on Robben Island." 1965-1967
- folder 14: Documents re: Council scholarship for Fugard, 1945
- folder 15: re: The Serpent Players, 1965
- folder 16: re: withdrawal of Athol Fugard's passport, 1967-1968
- folder 17: "receipt from Security Police for material taken from my house after Police Raid." Oct. 24, 1971
- folder 18: personal and family related memorabilia, 1918-1970. Includes notes, receipts, bills, sister's wedding announcement, etc.
- folder 19: memorabilia, printed
II. JOURNALS, DIARIES, NOTEBOOKS
- folders 20-39: 1960-1982 (17 volumes)
- folders 1-27: 1982-1997 (23 volumes)
The Blood KnotFirst production: Rehearsal Room of the African Music and Drama Association, Dorkay House, Johannesburg, Sept. 1961
Published: Cape Town: Simondium, 1963
- folder 28: Notes, 5p.
- folder 29: Typescript, heavily corrected, 101p.
- folder 30: Correspondence and clippings re: Brazilian production, 19p.
- folder 31: Review of the play - news clipping
- folder 32: BBC rehearsal script, 102p.
- folder 33: BBC camera script, 91p.
Boesman and Lena (see also: Journals,... 1973-1976)First production: Rhodes University Theatre, 10 July 1969
Published: Cape Town: Buren, 1969
- folder 1: Typescript and holograph script, 62p.
The Captain's TigerPublished: New York: Theatre Communications Group, 1999
- folder 2: Notebook, holograph, 41p. ["Notes for The Captain's Tiger made during the Australian tour of Valley Song."]
- folder 3: First draft script, holograph, 77p.
- folder 4: Second draft, typescript with holograph insertions and corrections, 105p.
- folder 5: Third and final draft, typescript, 103p.
The Coat: A theatre exercise from Serpent Players, New BrightonFirst production: privately, Port Elizabeth, Oct. 1967
Published: Cape Town: A.A. Balkema, 1971
- folder 6: Typescript, heavily corrected, 26p.
Cousins, A MemoirPublished: New York: Theatre Communications Group, 1994
- folder 7: Typescript, first draft, with numerous holograph changes and insertions, 118p.
Dialogue With a Madonna
- Early, unpublished play
- folder 8: Typescript, heavily corrected and with holograph insertions and additions, 82p.
Dimetos (see also: Oversize)First public performance: Church Hill Theatre, Edinburgh, 27 Aug. 1975
Published in Dimetos and Two Early Plays. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1977.
- folder 9: Holograph notes in notebook, 7p. and holograph insertions, 6p.
- folder 10: Script, with holograph insertions and changes, p.
- folder 11: Printed theatre program - Nottingham Playhouse - starring Paul Scofield
Drivers (see also: Mille Miglia )Stage adaptation of Fugard's Mille Miglia, by David Muir
Production: Outer Space, Cape Town, 18 July 1973
- folder 12: Carbon typescript, 36p. [lacking p.32-35]
The DrummerFirst production: Actors' Theatre, Louisville, Kentucky, March 1980
Published: in My Children! My Africa! and Selected Shorter Plays. Johannesburg: Witwatersrand University Press, 1990.
- folder 13: Typescript, p.
The Guest: An Episode in the Life of Eugene Nielen MaraisPremiered: on BBC-2 TV, as a 'Film International,' 5 March 1977
Published: Johannesburg: Donker, 1977
- folder 14: Typescript with holograph corrections, revisions, and insertions, p.
Hello and GoodbyeFirst production: Library Theatre, Johannesburg, 29 Oct. 1965
Published: Cape Town: Balkema, 1971; New York: Samuel French, 1971
- folder 15: Holograph [draft], 62p.
- folder 16: Holograph, [later version], 62p.
- folder 17: "Production copy," typescript with holograph corrections and insertions, 52p.
[The Island]First production: The Space Theatre, Cape Town, 2 July 1973
Published: in Statements: Three Plays. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1974
- folder 18: Notes and drafts, holograph; typescript of Act Two. 43p.
A Lesson From AloesFirst production: Market Theatre, Johannesburg, 30 Nov. 1978
Published: Oxford; New York: Oxford University Press, 1981
- folder 19: "Notes. 25/1/72" in bound volume - 26p.
- folder 20: ..."First draft of Aloes at the Market Theatre Jhb. November 1978 (typed pages). Pencilled corrections and additions - rewriting in March-May of 1979," p.
- folder 21: "(Market script) from their archives." Photocopy of typescript, 63p.
- folder 22: "Final and Definitive version of the text as staged at the National Theatre (London) in July 1980." Typescript with holograph changes and insertions, p.
- folder 23: miscellaneous re: Aloes - 2 letters, two poems and one news clipping [review], Dec. 1978-Jan. 1979
Marigolds in AugustPremiered: at the Johannesburg Film Festival, 21 Apr. 1980
Published: Johannesburg: Donker, 1982
- folder 24: "Synopsis" Typescript with holograph corrections, 10p.
- folder 25: A Synopsis of a Proposed New Devenish - Fugard Film for Television." Photocopy of holograph, 10p. and typescript, 6p.
- folder 26: ..."Screenplay...." Typescript with paste-ins and holograph changes, p.
- folder 27: Mimeo script with numerous typed and holograph insertions and changes, p.
- folder 28: Mimeograph script, [iii], 39p.
- folder 29: "Post production dialogue script," mimeograph, p.
Master Harold...and the Boys (see also: Journals,... 1979, Feb.)First production: Yale Repertory Theatre, 12 March 1982
Published: New York: Knopf, 1982
- folder 30: Notebook: "Master Harold New Haven" Holograph, 15p. (photograph [of cast?] laid-in)
- folder 31: "... for Sam" Holograph draft, 46p.
- folder 32: "...a personal memoir for Sam" Holograph [later draft], 56p.
- folder 33: "...For Sam and H.D.F." Typescript with holograph corrections and changes, 58p.
- folder 34: Master Harold...and the Boys. New York: Knopf, 1982. Marked galleys
Mille Miglia (see also: Drivers)First production: A play for television, 5 Aug. 1968
Published: in My Children! My Africa! and Selected Shorter Plays. Johannesburg: Witwatersrand University Press, 1990
- folder 1: Notes, holograph, in "examination book," p.
- folder 2: Incomplete draft of script, typescript with holograph insertions and corrections, p.
- folder 3: Carbon typescript, with scene number changes, p.
- folder 4: Holograph insertions for typescript, p.
- folder 5: Retyped pages and scenes, p.
- folder 6: Holograph script, 62p.
- folder 7: "Theatre 625" "Mille Miglia" Photocopy of television script in recording order, 89p.
My Children! My Africa!First production: Market Theatre, Johannesburg, 27 June 1989
Published: London: Faber and Faber, 1990
- folder 8: Typescript with holograph insertions and changes, 88[i.e.100]p.
My LifePublished: My Life; and Valley Song. Johannesburg: Hodder & Stoughton and Witwatersrand University Press, 1996
- folder 9: Notes by Rebecca Waddell re: development of My Life, Typescript (fax), 9p.
- folder 10: Typescript, 30p.
NongogoFirst production: Trades Hall, Johannesburg, 8 June 1959
Published in Dimetos and Two Early Plays. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1977
- folder 11: "First typed [carbon] copy...--Johannesburg, 1959." 62p.
The OccupationPublished: in Contrast 8. Cape Town, Apr. 1964
- folder 12: ..."A script for the camera." Typescript with holograph corrections and insertions, 36p., accompanied by letter from editor of Contrast to Fugard, 3-3-64, 2p.
Orestes (see also: Oversize)First production: Castlemarine Auditorium, Cape Town, 21 March 1971
Published: Theatre One: New South African Drama. Johannesburg: Donker, 1973
- folder 13: Script: "Text" Holograph, p.
- folder 14: Script, holograph (pencil), p.
- folder 15: Letter from Fugard to Bruce Davidson. Typed (carbon), 10p.
- folder 16: "Orestes An experiment in theatre as described in a letter to Bruce Davidson, the American photographer," Typed carbon with holograph corrections, 12p., and typescript with title change: "Orestes An experiment in theatre as described in a letter to an American friend," June 1973, 1p.
People are Living ThereFirst production: Close Theatre, Glasgow, 13 March 1968
Published: Cape Town: Buren, 1969.
- folder 17: Holograph notes, in "Reporter's Spiral Note Book" p.
- folder 18: Typescript with holograph insertions and corrections, p.
A Place with the PigsFirst production: Yale Repertory Theatre, 24 March 1987
Published: London: Faber and Faber, 1988
- folder 19: First draft, holograph, p.
- folder 20: Second draft, holograph, 63p.
- folder 21: Third draft, typescript with holograph insertions and corrections, p.
PlaylandFirst production: Cape Town, South Africa, 1992
Published: London: Faber and Faber, 1992
- folder 22: First Outline, holograph, p.
- folder 23: First draft, holograph, p. Accompanied by T.L.S. (fax), Kenny Leon to AF, May 14, 1992. 1p.
- folder 24: Second draft, typescript (word processed) and holograph, p.
- folder 25: Third draft, typescript (word processed) with holograph insertions and corrections, p.
- folder 26: Final draft, typescript (word processed), with holograph corrections and changes, p.
The Road to MeccaFirst production: Yale Repertory Theatre, 1 May 1984
Published: London: Faber and Faber, 1985
- folder 27: Typescript (photocopy) of Yale Repertory Theatre/Yale School of Drama script, [ii] 123p.
Sizwe Banzi is DeadFirst production: The Space Theatre, Cape Town, 8 Oct. 1972
Published: in Statements: Three Plays. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1974
- folder 28: Notes and draft script, holograph and typescript p.
Statements After an Arrest Under the Immorality ActFirst performance: The Space Theatre, Cape Town, 28 March 1972
Published: Statements: Three Plays. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1974
- folder 29: Typescript, draft with holograph insertions and changes, p.
- folder 30: "...script for the 1st London production...." Typescript (photocopy), p.
- folder 31: "Rehearsal log for the London Premier...." Holograph, p.
Tsotsi (novel)Published: Johannesburg: Donker, 1980
- folder 32: "earlier draft...." [incomplete], holograph, p.
- folder 33: Notes and later draft, holograph, p.
Valley SongProductions: Market Theatre, Johannesburg, South Africa, and McCarter Theater, Princeton, New Jersey, 1995
Published: My Life; and Valley Song. Johannesburg: Hodder & Stoughton and Witwatersrand University Press, 1996
- folder 34: First version, 1st draft, holograph, p.
- folder 35: First version, Act One, 2nd draft, typescript with holograph insertions and changes, p.
- folder 36: First version, Act Two, 2nd draft, typescript with holgraph corrections, p.
- folder 37: Second version, 1st draft, typescript/holograph, p.
- folder 38: Second version, 2nd draft, typescript with holograph insertions and changes, p.
- folder 39: Second version, 3rd draft, typescript with holograph changes and insertions, p.
- folder 40: Second version, 4th and final draft, typescript (word processed), with holograph corrections, p.
- folder 41: notes for plays[?]: "The Silkworms;" "The Fordsburg Native Comm. Court"; etc. Holograph and typescript, p.
Short stories and writing fragments, ca. early 1960s - all unpublished
- folder 42: Father is a Thorn Tree. Four holograph drafts: 10p., 2p., 2p., 2p.
- folder 43: Night-Call. Two typescript drafts: 25p. and 21p.
- folder 44: Pavane to a Dead Princess. Typescript (title in pencil), 16p.
- folder 45: The Roots of Matter. Holograph draft, 2p.; [storyline], holograph, 1p.
- folder 46: The Two Friends. Typescript (title in pencil), 9p.; holograph notes, 1p.
- folder 47: "He died at [t]wo o'clock in the morning, or at least...." [1st line]. Typescript fragments, [7p.]
New York Times article by Fugard
- folder 48: Typescript with holograph changes and corrections, 6p. [possibly "African Stages: South Africa is Likely to Offer Most Valuable Contribution to Theatre" New York Times, 20 September 1964]
Lecture by Fugard: "Some Problems of a Playwright from South Africa." Delivered at NYU, Oct. 16, 1990.
- folder 49: Draft transcript of speech, T.D., 12p.; Edited transcript, T.D., 10p.
[Review of a play by George Pemba. Reviewer unknown, undated].
- folder 50: Carbon typescript, 4p.
- [Dimetos]. Holograph, written in a 12x16½ "drawing book," 7p.
- Orestes. Holograph, written in three 12x16½ drawing pads, with insertions, ca. 50p., including some inserts. Written on drawing pad covers: 1. "Dec. 1970 - Feb. 71"; 2. "Cape Town final"; 3. "[JHB]"