The Gaither mss., 1955-1986, consist of correspondence and writings of Indiana University Professor Emeritus of English, Mary Elizabeth Gaither, relating primarily to work on Leonard and Virginia Woolf and on the publications of their Hogarth Press.
The collection is organized into two series: correspondence and writings. The first folder of correspondence is between Leonard Woolf and Mary E. Gaither, 1955-1961. In 1961 Gaither interviewed Woolf and the notes for that interview are in the first folder of writings. The majority of the correspondence is from 1974-1986 and is primarily with book dealer and bibliographer J. Howard Woolmer, first of Andes, New York, later of Revere, Pennsylvania. In 1976, Woolmer's A Checklist of the Hogarth Press, with a Short History of the Press by Mary E. Gaither, was published by the Hogarth Press in London and by Woolmer-Brotherton in the US. Work on the revised edition began in 1985 and was published in late 1986. In addition to "the Short History" present in the writings section, there are offprints of two articles that Gaither did for The Dictionary of Literary Biography , vol. 112, in 1991: "Hogarth Press" and "Nonesuch Press."
A few miscellaneous items at the end of the collection include a photographic copy of a portrait of Leonard Woolf that is in the National Portrait Gallery, and a group of news clippings about him, mostly from the 1960s.
An inventory of the collection follows this description.
Gift. Mary E. Gaither. Bloomington, IN 1999
Additions to the Gaither mss. include receipts and invoices, 1961-1969, for the purchase of Hogarth Press books by Mary Gaither. Her main source for her collection was British bookseller R.A. Brimmell, first located in Middlesex then in Sussex. Also present in this group is an exchange with American bookseller Robert A. Wilson relating to the purchase of Virginia Woolf's Two Stories in 1965.
Gift. Mary E. Gaither. Bloomington, IN 2001
A finding aid is also available.
- Folder 1: 1955-1961. Correspondence with Leonard Woolf
- Folder 2: 1965-1974. Correspondence - general
- Folder 3: 1974-1986: Correspondence re: Hogarth checklist and history, chiefly with J. Howard Woolmer
- Folder 4: Writings: interview with Leonard Woolf, 1961
- Folder 5: Writings, 1968, re: Hogarth Press manuscript
- Folder 6: Hogarth Press Bibliography, draft, ca. 1968
- Folder 7: [Short history of Hogarth Press], 1976, and Appendix
- Folder 8: Offprints: review of Hogarth Press checklist; "Hogarth Press" from DLB 112; "Nonesuch Press" from DLB 112
- Folder 9: Notes, pencil, re: Lytton Strachey / Virginia Woolf correspondence
- Folder 10: Photograph of portrait of Leonard Woolf
- Folder 11: Miscellaneous clippings and printed items.
- Folder 12: Receipts and invoices, 1961-1964, for purchase of Hogarth Press books.
- Folder 13: Receipts and invoices, 1965-1969
Collection size: 125 items