Return to Description
The correspondence is divided into an alphabetical file covering Haurowitz's professional career (1925-July 1966) and a chronological file encompassing his post-retirement (August 1966-1985). The correspondents include several Nobel prize winners, colleagues, students and publishers. The correspondence is not indexed. A list of correspondents
in this section is available. Additional correspondence can be found throughout the collection.
- Box 1: A - G
- Box 2: H - P
- Box 3: Q - Z
- Box 4: 1966, Aug. - 1976
- Box 5: 1977 - 1985
Includes internal memorandums and other materials relating to Haurowitz's academic appointment to the Chemistry Department at Indiana University, 1948-1981.
- folders 12-39: Correspondence, 1948-July 1966. Internal correspondence including letters concerning admission of students, examinations, grants and Chemistry Department policies.
- Oversize: Account Books, 1951-1974. 3 vols. Includes purchase of equipment and supplies, use of funds.
- folders 1-3: Annual Reports, 1948/49-1980/81
- folders 4-5: Chemistry Faculty Meeting, 1953-1969
- folders 6-7: Chemistry Policy Committee, 1961-1970
- folders 8-9: Other Committees, 1949-1978
- folder 10: Biochemistry and Chemistry Seminars
- folder 11: Cumulative Examinations, 1969-1978
- folders 12-13: National Institutes of Health, 1950-1978. Applications for research grants, progress reports and correspondence
- folder 14: National Science Foundation, 1971-1979. Applications for research grants, progress reports and correspondence
- folder 15: Miscellaneous. Includes radiation material and miscellaneous Chemistry Department reports.
Includes: typescripts, research notes, some correspondence and photographs. It is organized into the following sections: Research/Writings by Haurowitz; Lectures by Haurowitz; Research/Writings by Others; Reprints. A detailed list
Includes programs, invitations and related materials. Arranged by organizing institution.
- folder 1:
- American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Section on Botanical Sciences, December 29, 1957; Conference on the History of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Brookline, Massachusetts, May 21-23, 1970
- American Association for the Advancement of Science. Gordon Research Conferences on Proteins and Nucleic Acids, New Hampton: August 23-28, 1953; August 29-September 3, 1954; June 30-July 5, 1957; June 29-July 3, 1959
- American Association for the Advancement of Science. Gordon Research Conference on: Proteins, June 24-28, 1963; Cell Structure & Metabolism, June 27-July 1, 1966; Proteins, June 25-30, 1967; Proteins, July 19-23, 1971; Immunochemistry & Immunobiology, Tilton, New Hampshire, June 25-30, 1972
- American Association of Immunologists. International Congress of Immunology, 1st, Washington, DC, August 1-6, 1971
- American Cancer Society. Scientific Program, Francis Delafield Hospital, New York, March 1969
- American Chemical Society. Symposium on the Thermodynamics and Kinetics of Protein Denaturation, 1953; Wabash Valley Section. Protein Biosynthesis and its Modification by Antigens, Terre Haute, Indiana, February 6, 1959; Indiana Section. Frontiers of Biochemical Research, Indiana University, Medical Center, December 1, 1962; National Meeting, 143rd, Cincinnati, Ohio, January 15, 1963
- American Institute of Biological Sciences. Molecular Structure and Biological Specificity, Washington, DC, October 28-29, 1955
- AMAL. Scientific Seminar, May 11 & 14, 1959
- Antibody Workshop Meeting. La Jolla, California, January 4-6, 1961; Cincinnati, Ohio, January 11 & 12, 1963; December 1-7, 1963
- Biochemical Society. Colloquium on the Proteins of Membranes, MRC National Institute for Medical Research, Mill Hill, London, February 19, 1971
- Biochemische Gesellschaft der DDR. Symposium "Einweiss-Enzyme," Suhl, September 18, 1966
- Brookhaven National Laboratory. Conference on Chemistry and Physiology of the Nucleus, August 15-17, 1951
- folder 2:
- Cambridge University. Haemoglobin Conference, Cambridge University, June 15-17, 1948.
- Cold Spring Harbor, Long Island Biological Association. Symposia on Quantitative Biology, June 8-16, 1949
- Czechoslovak Academy of Science. Developmental Aspects of Antibody Formation and Structure, Prague and Slapy, June 1-7, 1969
- Deutsche Akademie der Naturforscher Leopoldina. Jahreversammlung, Halle an der Saale, October 30-November 2, 1969
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Hygiene und Mikrobiologie. Tagung, Düsseldorf, May 1-5, 1961
- Duke University Medical Center. Division of Immunology. 3rd annual Seminar Series, February 28, 1966
- Faraday Society. A General Discussion on the Physical Chemistry of Enzymes, University Laboratory of Physiology, Oxford, August 10-12, 1955
- Gesellschaft Deutscher Chemiker. Strucktur und Bildung der Antikörper, Freiberg, July 3, 1963
- Gesellschaft Deutscher Naturforscher und Ärzte. Versammlung, 100, Wiesbaden, September 28-October 2, 1958; Versammlumg, 105, Heidelberg, October 6-10, 1968
- folder 3:
- Henry Ford Hospital. 8th International Symposium on the Mechanisms of Hypersensitivity, Detroit, March 27-29, 1958
- Histochemical Society. 9th Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, April 13-14, 1958
- Indiana Public Health Association. Spring Meeting, Medical Center, Indianapolis, May 9, 1958. Laboratory Section.
- Indiana University. Conference on Coordination Compounds, Bloomington, August 18-21, 1953; Department of Chemistry. Seminar on Biophysical Chemistry of the Nucleic Acids, Spring Semester, 1961; Chemical Colloquium, Bloomington, May 12, 1965; School of Medicine. 2nd Annual Biochemical Pathology Short Course, Indiana University Medical Center, Indianapolis, June 10-12, 1970; New Frontiers in Immunology: a Symposium in honor of Felix Haurowitz, Bloomington, February 28-March 2, 1973; Chemistry Colloquium, Bloomington, April 14, 1977.
- Institute of Polymer Research. Symposium on Biosynthesis, Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn, November 14,1953
- International Society for Cell Biology. 9th International Congress for Cell Biology, August 28-September 3, 1957
- International Union of Biochemistry. 1st International Congress of Biochemistry, Cambridge, August 19-25, 1949; 3rd Congrès International de Biochimie, Bruxelles, Aug. 1-6, 1955; 4th Internationalen Kongresses für Biochemie, Wien, 1958; 5th International Congress of Biochemistry, Ploshchadka, Russia, August 12, 1961; 9th International Congress of Biochemistry, 1972; 10th International Congress of Biochemistry, July 29, 1976
- Internationales Symposium der Probleme der Immunkrankheiten, Grosse Ledder, October 11-13, 1968.
- Istanbul Faculty of Medicine. 6th Convention of Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul, September 20-25, 1981.
- folder 4:
- Michigan Biochemical Society. Protein and Polypeptide Synthesis, Augusta, Michigan, September 27, 1969
- Michigan State College. 4th Annual Symposium in Fundamental Biology on Proteins and Protein Metabolism, East Lansing, Michigan, February 2-4
- Michigan University. Molecular Structure and Biological Function: Summer Symposium on Biophysics, Biophysics Research Center, Ann Arbor, July 3-19, 1956
- Mid-west Autumn Immunology Conference. Annual Meetings:, Chicago, November 3-5, 1974; 4th, Chicago, November 9-11, 1975; 6th, Chicago, November 6-8, 1977; 8th, Detroit, November 4-6, 1979
- Mid-winter Conference of Immunologists. 8th, Pasadena, California, January 25-28, 1969; 10th, Pacific Grove, California, January 23-26, 1971
- National Academy of Sciences. Conference on Complement, Shelter Island, New York, June 12-15, 1950; Subcommittee on Blood and Related Problems. Conference on Red Cell Metabolism, Washington, DC, November 19-20, 1954; Subcommittee on Blood and Related Problems. Conference on Hemoglobin, Washington, DC, May 2-3, 1957; Symposium on Antibody Formation, Bloomington, Indiana, November 16-18, 1959; Division of Medical Sciences. Symposium on Gamma Globulin, Washington DC, October 26-27, 1962
- National Institutes of Health. Complement Workshop, Bethesda, Maryland, March 1, 1963
- NATO Advanced Study Institute. Cellular and Genetic Aspects of Antibody Formation, Val Morin, Quebec, June 30-July 12, 1968
- New York Academy of Medicine. Section of Microbiology. Symposium on Nature and Significance of the Antibody Response, New York, March 21-22, 1951
- New York Academy of Sciences. Section of Biology. Conference on Proteolytic Enzymes and their Clinical Application, New York, November 8-9, 1956; Section of Biological and Medical Sciences. Conference on Autoimmunity - Experimental and Clinical Aspects, New York, February 3-5, 1964; Section of Biological and Medical Sciences. Conference on Specificity of Serological Reactions: Landsteiner Centennial, December 5-7, 1968; Conference on Membrane Structure and its Biological Applications, New York, June 2-4, 1971; Section of Biological and Medical Sciences. International Conference on RNA in Immune Response, New York, April 19-21, 1972
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Biology Division. Gatlinburg, Tennessee. Biology Research Conference on Enzyme and Protein Structure, April 4-6, 1955; Biology Research Conference on Antibodies: Their Production and Mechanism of Action, April 8-10, 1957; Symposium on Differentiation and Growth of Hemoglobin and Immunoglobulin Synthesizing Cells, April 4-7, 1966
- Rutgers University. 10th Annual Conference Protein Conference, January 29-30, 1954; 14th Annual Protein Conference, January 24-25, 1958; Institute of Microbiology. Immunochemical Approaches to Problems in Microbiology, September 6-8, 1960
- Rutgers University. Institute of Microbiology. Nucleic Acids in Immunology, October 16-18, 1967
- Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine. Ohio Valley Section. Meeting, Bloomington, November 9-10, 1962
- Symposium on Sulfur and Proteins. Farmouth, Massachusetts, May 23-24, 1958
- Toronto University. Regulation of the Antibody Response, January 20-22, 1966
- Universität Würzburg. Probleme der Antikörperstrucktur und der Antikörperbildung, November 3, 1969
- Vanderbilt University. School of Medicine. Symposium on Immunity and Virus Infection, Vanderbilt University, May 1-2, 1958
- Wayne State University. College of Medicine. 8th Annual Symposium on Blood, Wayne State University, January 16-17, 1959
- Western Reserve University. Institute of Pathology. Enrique E. Ecker Annual Seminar in Experimental Pathology, Cleveland, Ohio, June 12, 1957
- World Congress on Surface Activity. 2nd, London, April 8-12, 1957
- folder 5:
- Abstracts of Conferences, 1959-1977. Contains printed abstracts of papers and annotated typescript abstracts. Arranged chronologically.
Includes correspondence, certificates, printed materials, and policy documents concerning scientific societies. Arranged alphabetically by name of Society.
- folder 6: American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 1959-1986
- folder 7: American Association for the Advancement of Science, 1951
- folder 8: American Cancer Society, 1952-1955
- folder 9: American Chemical Society, 1959-1963
- folder 10: American Society for Cell Biology
- folder 11: American Society of Hematology, 1973
- folder 12: American Society for Microbiology, 1975
- folder 13: American Society of Naturalists, 1950
- folder 14: Biochemical Society, 1945; Czechoslovak Medical Society, 1972
- folder 15: Deutsche Akademie der Naturforscher Leopoldina, 1956; Deutsche Gesellschaft für Hygiene und Mikrobiologie, 1961
- folder 16: Gesellschaft für Biologische Chemie, 1966-1968; Gesellschaft Deutscher Naturforscher und Ärzte; Gesellschaft für Immunologie, 1967; Gesellschaft für Physiologische Chemie, 1955
- folder 17: Indiana Academy of Science, 1949-1980
- folder 18: Indiana University societies, 1950-1966: Alpha Epsilon Delta, 1950; Indiana University Alumni Association 1974; Phi Beta Kappa, 1966; Phi Lambda Upsilon, 1949; Sigma Xi, 1946-1978
- folder 19: International Society of Hematology, 1954
- folders 1-3: National Academy of Sciences, 1961-1986
- folder 4: New York Academy of Sciences, 1951-1955
- folder 5: Societè Française d'Immunologie, 1973
- folder 6: Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine, 1952-1962
- folder 7: Swedish Royal Academy of Sciences, 1947-1960
- folder 8: Weiner Biologische Gesellschaft, 1934; Weizmann Institute of Science, 1971
Some photographs are accompanied by related materials, such as: newspaper and journal clippings; printed material concerning awards and prizes, including some certificates; autobiographical and biographical material; and obituaries.
- folders 9-13: Photographs of Felix Haurowitz, ca. 1938-1976. 169 photographs
- folders 14-17: Photographs of Others, 1948-1982. 31 photographs. Arranged alphabetically. Mostly of scientists, many with whom Haurowitz corresponded, as well as those of researchers and coworkers at Indiana University.
- folder 18: Photographs of groups and American Chemical Society Jubilee, ca. 1938-1974. 20 photographs. Includes group photographs of scientists and conference photographs.
- folders 19-22: Newspaper and journal clippings on scientific topics and some political issues, particularly concerning the former Czechoslovakia and some book reviews. Also includes newsletters, pamphlets, articles and publisher's advertisements.
- folder 23: Names and addresses