The following resources are also available for this collection:
Return to Description
I. English translations of Naguib Mahfouz's Cairo Trilogy (Boxes 1-7)
- Palace Walk. Translated by William Hutchins and Olive Kenny (New York: Doubleday, 1990)
- 1. First unpublished version by Olive Kenny, with revisions by William Hutchins (7 folders)
- 2. William Hutchins' complete draft, with revisions, as sent to editors for suggestions (5 folders)
- 3. Multiple drafts of translation, partially in photocopy, some with suggestions by Doubleday editor, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, in pencil and Martha Levin in green ink, revised by the translator in red ink (7 folders)
- Palace Walk, cont.
- 4. Complete draft of translation, partially in photocopy, edited by Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis in pencil and Martha Levin in green ink, revised by the translator in red ink (6 folders)
- 5. Copy of translation sent to the publishers after final revisions taking into account editors' suggestions (5 folders)
- 6. Copy-edited photocopy of computer print-out of translation (5 folders)
- 7. Master-set of galley proofs of translation, corrected by publisher's proofreader (4 folders)
- Palace of Desire: Cairo Trilogy II. Translated by William Maynard Hutchins, Lorne M. Kenny and Olive E. Kenny (New York: Doubleday, 1991)
- 1. First unpublished version by Olive and Lorne Kenny (4 folders)
- 2. Multiple drafts, by chapter, of William Hutchins' translation of Palace of Desire, several with suggestions and queries in pencil by Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, and revisions in red ink by the translator (11 folders)
- Palace of Desire, cont.
- 3. Print-out draft, chapters 1-40, of translation with few additional revisions (lacks final chapters 41-44) (4 folders)
- 4. Photocopy of translation edited by Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis in pencil and Martha Levin in ink (4 folders)
- 5. Photocopy of translation sent to the publishers after final revisions taking into account editor's suggestions (4 folders)
- 6. Copy-edited computer print-out of translation (4 folders)
- Palace of Desire, cont.
- 7. Uncorrected galley proofs of translation (3 folders)
- 8. Master-set of galley proofs, corrected by proofreader and translator (3 folders)
- 9. Revised proofs of translation, with revised pages (3 folders)
- 10. Final galley proofs, incorporating changes of previous set (3 folders)
- Sugar Street: Cairo Trilogy III. Translated by William Maynard Hutchins and Angele Botros Samaan (New York: Doubleday, 1992)
- 1. First unpublished version translated by Angele Botros Samaan and revised by Olive Kenny (3 folders)
- 2. Multiple drafts, arranged by chapter, of William Hutchins' translation, several with suggestions and queries in pencil by Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, and revised in red ink by the translator, through chap. 35 (4 folders)
- Sugar Street, cont.
- 2. Multiple drafts, arranged by chapter, cont., ...chap. 36-end (6 folders)
- 3. Draft of translation edited by Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis in pencil and Martha Levin in ink (4 folders)
- 4. Copy of translation sent to the publishers after final revisions taking into account editors' suggestions (4 folders)
- 5. Copy-edited manuscript of translation (4 folders)
- Sugar Street, cont.
- 6. Master galley proofs, corrected by the translator (3 folders)
- 7. Revised galley proofs (2 folders)
- 8. Confirmation galley proofs (2 folders)
- Correspondence with publishers relating to William Hutchins' translation of Mahfouz's Cairo Trilogy, 1989-1992 (3 folders)
- "Translating and Editing the Cairo Trilogy of Naguib Mahfouz. Paper scheduled to be delivered Friday, December, 1989, ...a Panel for the Modern Language Association." 3 drafts, each 17p., all heavily revised
- WMH translation fragments and queries of Mahfouz, 1991
- WMH miscellaneous notes re: Cairo Trilogy translation
- Mahfouz: "Nobel Lecture, 1988." [copy]
- Clippings, etc. re: Mahfouz; Doubleday acquiring American rights to Mahfouz writings; WMH as translator of Mahfouz, etc.
II. Translations of other Arabic writers: al-Hakim, al-Jahiz, et al. (Boxes 7-10)
- 1. Metaphysical Tales by Tawfīq al-Hakīm, Selected and translated by William Maynard Hutchins. Computer print-out draft with pencil corrections and marginal comments (2 folders)
- 2. al-Hakī's Return of the Spirit (Washington, D.C.: Three Continents Press, 1990) Corrected page proofs
- 3. Return of the Spirit. Later set of corrected page proofs with further corrections in red ink by the translator
- 4. Final corrected page proofs for Return of the Spirit, taking into account translator's previous corrections
- 5. Early drafts of three stories by al-Hakīm: "Show me God," (2 - A.D., 5p.; T.D., 4p.), "Satan Triumphs," (T.D., 4p.); My Donkey and Hypocrisy" (incomplete). The stories are from al-Hakim's In the Tavern of Life & other Stories (Boulder: Lynne Rienner Publisher, 1998)
- 6. "The Theology of Tawfīq al-Hakīm: An Exposition with Examples." Corrected galleys for July/October issue of Muslim World
- 7. al-Hakīm's Plays (Washington, D.C.: Three Continents Press) Incomplete print-out of manuscript of volume II (3 folders)
- 8. Tawfīq al-Hakīm's Plays, Volume Two: Theatre of Society. Photocopy of corrected page layouts (4 folders)
- 9. "The Pride of Ninth Century Baghdad and Basra: Eight Essays of al-Jahiz." Draft of essays by Abu Uthman Amr ibn al-Jahiz, with translator's revisions, later published in Nine Essays of al-Jahiz (New York: Peter Lang, 1989) (2 folders)
- 10. [Nine Essays of al-Jahiz.] Photocopy of corrected page proofs (3 folders)
- 11. Al-Mazini's Egypt (Washington, D.C.: Three Continents Press, 1983). With translator's extensive revisions in pencil for "enlarged and revised Second Edition"
- 12. Computer draft of revised version of Al-Mazini's Egypt, with translator's revisions in red ink
- 13. Copy of computer draft of revised edition of Al-Mazini's Egypt with further revisions in red ink by the translator, as sent to Three Continents Press, Sept. 1995
- 14. Partial computer draft of revised edition of Al-Mazini's Egypt
- 15. "Egyptian Stories of the Seventies and Eighties." Complete manuscript for printer. Published as Egyptian Tales and Short Stories of the 1970's and 1980's, edited by William M. Hutchins (Cairo, Egypt: American University in Cairo Press, 1987) (3 folders)
- 16. "The Pages of My Life [My Life, My Fiction] The Autobiography of Dr. Nawal El Saadawi. Translated by W.M. Hutchins. October 11, 1997. The Free Press." T.D., 152p. Apparently unpublished. Her autobiography appeared in English as A Daughter of Isis: the autobiography of Nawal El Saadawi, translated by Serif Hetata (London, New York: Zed Books, 1999)
- 17. Stories submitted to Playboy for Ribald Classic: "Coral Beads from The Precious Necklace" by Ibn Abd Rabbih. T.D. Draft with revisions and changes, 5p.; T.D., 9p.
- "Stories from the 'Book of Women' of Uyan al-Akhbar by Ibn Qutayba." T.D. draft with revisions and changes, 4p.; T.D., 6p. Accompanied by a rejection letter from Playboy fiction editor Robie Macauley, August 9, 1976 and a photocopy of a Hutchins translation published in Playboy, "Ribald Classic," July 1975.
- 18. Miscellaneous - notes and fragments, 3p.
- 19. "Translating Arabic Literature: A Personal Note" Paper presented April 8, 2002 at Lilly Library, Indiana University. T.D., 23p.