The Jones mss., 1815-1867, consist of three daybooks, November 28, 1815- May 8, 1824 and October 29, 1835-March 7, 1867, of the Jones & Stockwell merchandise store of Princeton, Indiana.
In March 1815, James W. Jones and Robert Stockwell opened a mercantile establishment in Princeton, Indiana. On March 7, 1820, Jones retired from the firm to enter the wholesale business. Stockwell continued in business by himself until 1846, when Samuel Archer became his partner. Some years later Stockwell entered a business at Lafayette, Indiana. Information on the Princeton firm is contained in James T. Tartt & Co., History of Gibson County, Indiana (Edwardsville, Ill., 1884), p. 158.
Prominent customers included in the daybooks are: Morris Birbeck, Robert Morgan Evans, George Flower, Elias Pym Fordham, Samuel Hall, David Hart, John Ingle, General Washington Johnston, James Kirkman, Donald Macdonald, James McClure, William Prince, David Robb, John Woods.
Collection size: 3 items