Lilly Library Manuscript Collections


The Kingsbury mss., 1811-1815, are War of 1812 papers of Jacob Kingsbury, 1755-1837, general, who entered the Continental Army as a private in 1775 and rose by regular promotion to the rank of Colonel Inspector-General, in which he served from April 8, 1813, until Oct. 31, 1814. He saw service in Anthony Wayne's Indian campaign, was on duty for many years at Detroit and Mackinac, and later was stationed at Bellefontaine, Ohio, and New Orleans. On June 23, 1812, he was placed in command of the U. S. troops and militia at Newport, Rhode Island, and of the fortifications of the harbor there by General Henry Dearborn, who, on July 17, 1812, extended the command to include troops and garrisons on the seacoast of Rhode Island and Connecticut. On June 15, 1815, he retired from the service and took up residence in Missouri, where he lived until his death.

This collection is composed principally of official papers of Kingsbury's command for the War of 1812 period. A large part of these are the garrison records of Fort Adams and Fort Walcott in Newport harbor, Rhode Island, Fort Trumbull at New London, Connecticut, and Fort Griswold at Groton, Connecticut, including muster rolls, morning reports, monthly returns, guard reports, inspection returns, provision returns, returns of quartermasters' stores, ordnance returns, doctors' certificates for discharge, etc. Letters from subordinate officers at those forts to Kingsbury and letters and orders from his superiors.

Among the correspondents are John Armstrong, Erkuries Beatty, Henry Burbeck, Thomas Humphrey Cushing, Alexander James Dallas, Henry Dearborn, Samuel H. Eakin, Julius Frederick Heileman, Ebenezer Huntington, William Jones, Peter Philip Schuyler, and Amos Stoddard.

Some of the manuscripts are in an oversize folder.

Collection size: 731 items

For more information about this collection and any related materials contact the Public Services Department, Lilly Library, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405. Call (812) 855-2452 or send an email using our Ask a Question form.