LANE, H.S. MSS. II
The Lane, H.S. mss. II, 1858-1871, consist of letters and documents from various people to Indiana politician and U.S. Senator Henry Smith Lane, 1811-1881.
The materials include personal correspondence regarding politics and the presidential election of 1860. The 1866 letters include a petition from citizens of Richmond, Indiana supporting the appointment of General Solomon Meredith, 1810-1875, as tax assessor for Indiana's fifth congressional district, as well as letters opposing the appointment. Lane's appointment to the Commission of Indian Affairs made by President Ulysses S. Grant and an undated draft of a speech given by Lane on the legacy of Andrew Jackson and Henry Clay complete the collection.
Correspondents in the collection include: Thomas Jefferson Brady, Schuyler Colfax, Silas Colgrove, John Dougherty Defrees, Robert C. Gregory, David Pearson Holloway, Isaac Newton Phipps, Caleb Blood Smith, and Nelson Trusler.
An inventory is available.
Folder 1: Correspondence, 1858-1865. Letters to Henry Smith Lane
- 1858, Nov. 10; 1859, July 13. Defrees, John Dougherty, 1810-1882, editor
- 1861, Dec. 26. Phipps, Isaac Newton, 1799- , businessman
Folder 2: Correspondence, 1866-1871; undated
- 1866, May 21. Colgrove, Silas, 1816-1907, judge. To President Andrew Johnson
- 1866, May 22. Brady, Thomas Jefferson, 1839-1904, army officer
- 1866, May 23. McCarty, T.B., auditor
- 1866, May 23. Trusler, Nelson, 1823-1880, U.S. district attorney
- 1866, May 24. Citizens of Richmond, Indiana. Petition
- 1866, May 26. Gregory, Robert C., 1811-1885, judge
- 1866, May 26, 31. Holloway, David Pearson, 1809-1883, congressman
- 1871, Oct. 24. Colfax, Schuyler, 1823-1885, Vice President, U.S.
- undated. Smith, Caleb Blood, 1808-1864, cabinet officer
- Grant, Ulysses Simpson, 1822-1885, President, U.S. Commission granted to Henry Smith Lane, June 7, 1869
- Speech, undated. A.D., 73p. bound
Collection size: 14 items
Related manuscripts: Lane, H.S. mss.