Lilly Library Manuscript Collections

LOCAL COUNCIL OF WOMEN MSS.

The Local Council of Women mss., 1902-1992, consist of the papers, financial records, and publications by and about this Bloomington, Indiana, service organization, as well as of the Bloomington Hospital. In 1897 representatives of all women's clubs in Bloomington were called together to form the Federation of Bloomington Women's Clubs for the purpose of "City Improvement". By February 1899 the Federation had changed names to become the "Local Council of Women of Bloomington," today it is the Local Council of Women, Inc.

The major work of the Local Council since late 1904-05 has been the Bloomington Hospital. That organization was responsible for the site selection and the money raised for construction. The hospital opened Nov. 29, 1905, and since then the Local Council has spent most of its time on that project, successfully bringing it through four expansion programs. In 1965 the Bloomington Hospital Foundation was established within the framework of the Local Council for the actual operation of the hospital. The Bloomington Convalescent Center, Nurse Call Plus, Meals on Wheels, and Hospice of Bloomington are all part of the health care system in Bloomington that has developed out of the Local Council's work and dedication to the Bloomington community.

Minutes of meetings, financial records, clippings, and publications of both the Local Council and of the hospital are present in this collection and document the history and development of both.

A box inventory is available in the Library.

Gift. Local Council of Women, Inc. 1994

ca. 5000 items

Addition. 1997-2001. Articles of Incorporation and By-laws as amended, February 2001; agenda, minutes of meetings, etc., September 2000-September 2001; scholarship award, 1997-2001; 9 photographs; photographs of scholarship winners for 2000

Gift. Local Council of Women. 2001

ca. 150 items

Addition. 1918-2003. Includes minutes of meetings, financial material, correspondence and documents relating to the construction and expansion of the Bloomington Hospital and materials on Homecare, Inc.

Gift. Local Council of Women. 2003

ca. 5,500 items

Collection size: 5,150 items

NOTE: Access to this collection requires advance notice. Please contact the Curator of Manuscripts for additional information.

For more information about this collection and any related materials contact the Public Services Department, Lilly Library, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405. Call (812) 855-2452 or send an email using our Ask a Question form.