The Muir mss., 1959-1963, consist of correspondence and writings of book and manuscript dealer Percival Horace Muir, 1894-1979, relating specifically to items later acquired by the Lilly Library of Indiana University. The collection is divided into three groups that are filed roughly chronologically. The first relates to English author Henry Williamson and his papers and includes six letters, dating Oct.-Dec. 1959, from Ann Thomas, owner of the papers, to Percy Muir regarding their sale to an American university, and Muir's handwritten description and accounting of the collection. The second group concerns the discovery of the manuscript "Campagnes tirees mot pour mot des memoires de Jacques Stuart" (later published as The Memoirs of James II: His Campaigns as Duke of York, 1652-1660 , by Indiana University Press in 1962), descriptions of the nature and provenance of the manuscript, and a typescript draft of the Preface to the published volume written by Percy Muir and David A. Randall. The final item is a draft letter or description which Percy Muir has titled "Ian Fleming Deceased" that details the terms of acquisition of Fleming's papers by Indiana University. A folder list of the collection if available.
Purchase. Barbara Muir (Mrs. Percival Muir). Norfolk, England. 1996
Williamson papers. 1959
- folder 1: Thomas, Ann. Correspondence
- folder 2: Muir, Percy. Collection description and accounting
Memoirs of James, II. ca. 1960-63
- folder 3: Correspondence re: Memoirs, 1963
- folder 4: "Nature and provenance of this manuscript." [3 items]
- folder 5: Muir, Percy and David A. Randall: Preface (final typescript, 7/12/60)
- folder 6: Muir, Percy and Barbara Muir [accounts of the manuscript's discovery] 3 items
Ian Fleming papers
- folder 7: "Ian Fleming Deceased" [Dec. 1964?] A.D. 2p.
Collection size: 17 items
Related manuscripts: Muir mss. II