The following resources are also available for this collection:
MUIR MSS. II
Return to Description
I. Elkin Mathews, Ltd. Mimeographs lists of books for sale, followed by chronologically arranged business materials.
- Early catalogues, pre-1900
- Publications lists, 1894, 1908-1909
- Catalogues of the private library of Elkin Mathews, 1922
- Numbered lists: Nos. 42, 47, 56, 78, 81, 85, 86 (2 folders)
- Quarto lists, 1, 3–5, 8, 9, one unnumbered (2 folders)
- Unnumbered and incomplete lists.
- Stop Gap, 1 & 2; catalogue #7 new series; publications catalogue for Elkin Mathews and Marrot Ltd., July-Dec. 1933; John Ruskin first editions catalogue
- Elkin Mathews catalogues (master copies), 1-35
- Elkin Mathews catalogues (master copies), 36-73 (lacks 57)
- Elkin Mathews catalogues (master copies), 74-108
- Elkin Mathews catalogues (master copies), 109-133 (lacks 121)
- Elkin Mathews catalogues (master copies), 134-150
- Elkin Mathews catalogues (master copies), 151-166
- Elkin Mathews catalogues (master copies), 167-189
- Duval & Muir catalogues (master copies), 1-56 (lacking 6, 30, 41)
Box 1 (continued)
- ca. 1886–1916. Bibliographical Wrinkles. Bound volume, plus one folder of items formerly laid–in
- 1892–1893. John Lane letters to Grant Richards
- 1893–1917. Elkin Mathews correspondence, including letters from Richard le Gallienne, from Mathews to Holbrook Jackson, and from Jack B. Yeats, enclosing three Elkin Mathews logo designs.
- 1894. Stock on hand. 4 ledger sheets
- ca. 1896–1981. Miscellaneous notes, invoices, printed pieces
- ca. 1922–1980. Share register
- 1922–1980. Stock transfers
- 1930. Edmund Blunden letter to A.W. Evans, enclosing an introduction for a catalogue.
- 1932–1933. Trial balances
- 1933. Two leases
- 1930s–1960s. Ledger volume,
- 1943–1968. Annual returns
- 1949, Apr. 30. Stock. 8 ledger pages
- 1969–1977. Share certificates
- 1927–1929. Oversized share certificates
II. Muir. Correspondence followed by writings.
Correspondence. Arranged alphabetically by correspondent or subject. Range of years of the correspondence follows each name
- Antiquarian Booksellers' Association. 1958, Apr.–1959, May (4 folders)
- Davis, Rupert Hart. 1958–1986
- Deval, Laurie E. 1932–1970
- McLean, Ruari. 1964–1966
- Property concerns. 1935–1938, 1962
- Sendak, Maurice. 1966, 1968–1969
Writings by Muir: Articles and books. Arranged alphabetically by title or subject of book or article, followed by reviews
Andre Poursin, obituary. 1969
- The Antiquarian Booksellers Association. 1st item in volume of miscellaneous writings
- Beaumarchais: Biography of a Bourgeois. Unfinished (8 folders)
- Bibliographical Notes & Queries. Concerns Toy Books designed by Walter Crane. 1968
- Bibliographical Notes & Queries. "Tauchnitz editions of nineteenth–century English novels...[1st line]" 1955
- Book–collecting: More letters to Everyman.
- Book–collecting II: More letters to Everyman.
- Casanova's memoirs.
- "Come on Kate! said the little boy . . . " First line of chapter one of untitled volume
- Commentary on Weston, W.J. Law and the Countryman. 1953
- Edward Seago art exhibition. 1953
- An Elizabethan Writing Master, Peter Bales (1547–1610?).
- Encyclopedia Britannica: Bibliographic comparison of 1773 London printing and 1771 Edinburgh. (incomplete). 1969
- February 14 and all that. Also draft of introduction
- The First Edition of Rousseau's Émile, 1762. 1952
- Further letters to Everyman; preface to Book Collecting as a Hobby, etc. Bound volume Includes "The International Congress at Copenhagen (Preliminary Report)"
- Goethe Bibliography with special reference to Faust, ein Fragment, 1790. 1977
- Gregynog Press. 1957
- History of science and philosophy collectors; et al.
- The Incunabula of Progress.
- Introduction to Little Wide Awake by Leonard De Vries. Includes two letters from M. Joy Fisher to Muir, Oct. 12 and Nov. 4, 1966
- Journal. Chiefly concerns Muir's work with the ABA. Jan.–Feb. 1967
- Just in time. Bound volume Partial memoir?
- Limited Editions and Spurious Values.
- London letters. Bound volume
- Minding My Own Business. Bound volume
- Miscellaneous notes, concerning authors: Dr. Newman, Samuel Pepys, Adam Smith, et al.
- Miscellaneous notes and fragments concerning books and editions of various books.
- Miscellaneous notes. 8 items, all untitled
- Murder? Unpublished short story. ca. 1940s.
- My first suit. Bound volume
- Note concerning death of William Kundig. 1952
- Novel fragment. p. 179–211; 232–234 (latter pages are on verso of p. 3–5 of "What is a Working Majority?")
- An Open Letter to Paul Hirsch on His Seventieth Birthday. Feb. 1951. Tear sheets, p. 3–6 of The Music Review edited and revised to include only story of original manuscript of Mozart's Haffner Symphony
- Otto Eric Deutsch. A Profile. Incomplete, accompanied by untitled Muir reminiscence of OED, 1975
- "...Paul Louis Bader has closed his shop...[first line]" Accompanied by letter from Bader to Muir, 29 Oct. 1965
- A Picture Bible. Includes clipping of article from Sunday Chronicle, July 11, 1954
- Private Presses. 1965
- The Rake's Progress. Complete set of the eight plates, 1735–1763, plus other bibliographic descriptions
- Robert Burns and the Scots Musical Museum. Incomplete
- Robert John Thornton and his "Temple of Flora," etc. Bound volume
- Round a Curious Tree. 1968
- Some Whys and Wherefores of Book Collecting (a.k.a. Book Collecting and the Man in the Street). 1951
- Thomas Moore's Irish Melodies, 1808–1834. 1933
- Two Library Hoaxes (for ABA Newsletter, 1961)
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Original Manuscripts of the Haffner Symphony (K.385).
- Words. 3 versions. "PHM succeeds Dr. Flower (Address)" in pencil on cover of bound volume. 1964
Writings by Muir: Reviews. Arranged alphabetically by author and title of book reviewed.
- Abbey, J.R. Life in England in Aquatint and Lithography, 1770–1860... 1953
- Amman, Jost. Kunst und Lehrbüchlein. 1971
- Bentley, Eric. Shaw on Music: A Selection From the Music Criticism of Bernard Shaw. 1955
- Childs, J. Rives. Casanoviana: An Annotated World Bibliographyâ...1956
- Fletcher, Ifan Kyrle and Arnold Rood. Edward Gordon Craig: A Bibliography. 1969
- Hamilton, Sinclair. Early American Book Illustrators and Wood Engravers, 1670–1870. 1968.
- Hofstätter, Hans Hellmut. Jugendstil: Druckkunst. 1968
- Humphries, Charles. Music Publishing in The British Isles... A Dictionary of Engravers, Printers, Publishers and Music Sellers ... 1955
- King, A. Hyatt. Some British Collectors of Music. The Sanders Lectures for 1961. 1963
- McGrath, Daniel F. Bookman's Price Index: An Annual Guide to the Values of Rare and Other Out–of–Print Books and Sets of Periodicals... 1964
- McLean, Ruari. Victorian Book Design and Colour Printing. 1963
- Morison, Stanley. Calligraphy, 1535–1885: A Collection of 72 Writing–Books. 1962.
- Neuberg, Victor E. The Penny Histories: A study of chapbooks... 1968
- Newbery, John. A Little Pretty Pocket–Book. 1963
- Newman, Ernest. The Life of Wagner. 1948
- Roscoe, S. Newbery–Carnan–Power: A Provisional Check–List of Books... 1966
- Schauer, Georg Kurt. Deutsche Buchkunst: 1890 Bis 1960. Vol. I: Text by G.K. Schauer. Vol. II: Illustrations & bibliography... 1964
- Shaw, J.M. Childhood in Poetry: A Catalogue of the Shaw Childhood in Poetry Collection in the Library of the Florida State University. 1968. Accompanied by correspondence between Shaw and Muir, July 24, Aug. 27, and Sept. 11, 1974.
- Spielmann, Percy Edwin . Catalogue of the Library of Miniature Books. 1961
- Taubert, Sigfred. Bibliopola. Pictures and Text About the Book Trade. 1967
- Thwaite, Mary Florence. From Primer to Pleasure in Reading. 1963
- Tooley, R. V. English Books with Coloured Plates, 1790 to 1860: A Bibliographical Account... 1955
- Uden, Grant. Collector's Casebook. 1963
- Wagner, Richard. Sämtliche Briefe... 1969
- Wegehaupt, Heinz. 150 Jahre Kinder–und Hausmärchen der Brüder Grimm. 1965
- Wendt, Bernhard . Der Antiquariats–Buchhandel.... 1975
- no author. Book Auction Records, Vol. 62, August 1964 to July 1965
- no author. Book Auction Records, Vol. 64, September 1966 to August 1967
- no author. Jahrbuch der Auktionspreise für Buchen, Handschriften und Autographen. 1976