The Nadaud mss., 1980-1988, consist of correspondence and manuscripts of French author and translator Alain Nadaud, 1948- . The correspondence is primarily between Nadaud and Indiana University professor and translator, Breon Mitchell, concerning Mitchell's translation of a Nadaud story, "Entretien avec Samuel Astonguet," and it's publication by New Directions in 1981. The later correspondence relates to the various writing projects, particularly translations, of both men. The writings present include a photocopy of the original text of "Entretien avec Samuel Astonguet" and two drafts of Mitchell's English translation; a copy of an early typescript of Archéologie du zero, inscribed by Nadaud to Breon Mitchell in 1982; copy of Nadaud's introduction to the French edition of the short stories of Vilas Sarang, along with Mitchell's English translation of it; and a copy of the complete manuscript of Le Terroriste et autres récits, Nadaud's French translation of the stories of Vilas Sarang. A folder list of the collection is available.
Gift. Breon Mitchell, Bloomington, IN 2002
- Folder 1: Correspondence, 1980-1988, between Alain Nadaud and Breon Mitchell
- Folder 2: Correspondence, 1980-1983, between Mitchell and American publishers about Nadaud
- Folders 3-4: Archéologie du zero (roman). Photocopy of typescript, 196p. Inscribed by Alain Nadaud to Breon Mitchell, 22 June 1982
- Folder 5: "Entretien avec Samuel Astonguet." Photocopy of printed text as published in La Tache Aveugle. Paris: 1980. Accompanied by two drafts of Breon Mitchell's translation: "Interview with Samuel Astonguet." T.D., 10p.; T.D., 20p.
- Folder 6: "L'Ecriture de Vilas Sarang ou de la circularite dans la nouvelle." T.(copy)D.S., 14p. Nadaud's introduction to the French edition of Sarang's Le Terroriste et autres récits (Paris: Denoël, 1988). Accompanied by Mitchell's English translation, "Vilas Sarang and the Art of Circularity." T.D., 16p.
- Folders 7-8: Sarang, Vilas. Le Terroriste et autres récits. Préface et traduction d'Alain Nadaud. T(photocopy)D.
Collection size: 27 items