The following resources are also available for this collection:
PAYNE, L. MSS.
Return to Description
I. Correspondence. Arranged in chronological order.
- Box 1: 1871-1932 (34 folders)
- Box 2: 1933-1972 (10 folders)
II. Writings (Box 2, except where noted).
- Arranged in chronological order.
- 1876. Riley, James Whitcomb. Humorous sketches
- 1883-1886. Payne, Frank. Diary
- 1906, Oct. 3-1907, Oct. Payne, Lesley. Musical journal
- 1931, Nov. Scott, M.W. Observance of James Whitcomb Riley's birthday
- 1931. Payne, Lesley. Diary
- 1942-1943. Payne, Lesley. Riley and a Newly Discovered Poem
- 1971. Purcell, Royal. Indiana's Poet Riley and Painter Steele
- n.d. Kendall, Lyle H. Rubaiyat of Doc Sifers.
- n.d. Payne, Lesley. Brittany Profile
- n.d. Payne, Lesley. James Whitcomb Riley: Random Recollections of a Niece (see also: Oversize 2)
- n.d. Payne, Lesley. There is one abuse of rights...[first line]
- n.d. Payne, Mary (Riley). [James Whitcomb Riley]
- n.d. unknown. As An Outgrowth of Riley Day,...[first line]
- n.d. unknown. Indiana, How We Love Her...[first line]
- n.d. unknown. "J.W.R. Film notes"
- n.d. unknown. Play about James Whitcomb Riley
- n.d. unknown. Poems by James Whitcomb Riley
- n.d. unknown. miscellaneous notes
III. Biographical material (Box 2).
- Includes contracts, wills, clippings, etc. (1 folder)
IV. Photographs (Box 2, except where noted).
- Arranged alphabetically by subject (8 folders)
- Carrington, Hereward (1 photograph)
- Catherwood, Mary (Hartwell) (1 photograph)
- Desk of James Whitcomb Riley (4 photographs)
- Group photos, including Henry F. Schricker, etc. (2 photographs)
- Panoramic view of Turin. Enclosure to letter from Vittorio Assale to Lesley Payne, June 3, 1913 (filed: Oversize 1)
- Payne, Frank C. (9 photographs)
- Payne, Lesley (1 photograph)
- Riley, James Whitcomb. Riley sitting for sculptress Myra (Reynolds) Richards, copyrighted by Shideler in 1916; undated snapshot of Riley with his chauffeur George W. Ray (2 photographs)
- Unidentified (67 photographs, including four tintypes)
V. Printed material (Box 2).
- Includes theater programs, clippings, etc. (1 folder)
VI. Miscellaneous (Box 2, except where noted).
- Includes: Legal case, Appendices H-K; Lists of letters to Riley and of his assets as well as letters to Mary Elizabeth (Riley) Payne and Lesley Payne; List of musical settings for Riley poems; Note regarding Clara Louise Bottsford and Riley; Royalty record of Riley estate for 1922-1924 (6 folders). Honorary degree from Yale awarded to James Whitcomb Riley, June 25, 1902 (filed: Oversize 3)