The following resources are also available for this collection:
Part or all of this collection is housed at the Auxiliary Library Facility. For
details, see Using
Lilly Library ALF Materials.
PAYNE, L. MSS.
Return to Description
I. Correspondence. Arranged in chronological order.
- Box 1: 1871-1932 (34 folders)
- Box 2: 1933-1972 (10 folders)
II. Writings (Box 2, except where noted).
- Arranged in chronological order.
- 1876. Riley, James Whitcomb. Humorous sketches
- 1883-1886. Payne, Frank. Diary
- 1906, Oct. 3-1907, Oct. Payne, Lesley. Musical journal
- 1931, Nov. Scott, M.W. Observance of James Whitcomb Riley's birthday
- 1931. Payne, Lesley. Diary
- 1942-1943. Payne, Lesley. Riley and a Newly Discovered Poem
- 1971. Purcell, Royal. Indiana's Poet Riley and Painter Steele
- n.d. Kendall, Lyle H. Rubaiyat of Doc Sifers.
- n.d. Payne, Lesley. Brittany Profile
- n.d. Payne, Lesley. James Whitcomb Riley: Random Recollections of a Niece (see also: Oversize 2)
- n.d. Payne, Lesley. There is one abuse of rights...[first line]
- n.d. Payne, Mary (Riley). [James Whitcomb Riley]
- n.d. unknown. As An Outgrowth of Riley Day,...[first line]
- n.d. unknown. Indiana, How We Love Her...[first line]
- n.d. unknown. "J.W.R. Film notes"
- n.d. unknown. Play about James Whitcomb Riley
- n.d. unknown. Poems by James Whitcomb Riley
- n.d. unknown. miscellaneous notes
III. Biographical material (Box 2).
- Includes contracts, wills, clippings, etc. (1 folder)
IV. Photographs (Box 2, except where noted).
- Arranged alphabetically by subject (8 folders)
- Carrington, Hereward (1 photograph)
- Catherwood, Mary (Hartwell) (1 photograph)
- Desk of James Whitcomb Riley (4 photographs)
- Group photos, including Henry F. Schricker, etc. (2 photographs)
- Panoramic view of Turin. Enclosure to letter from Vittorio Assale to Lesley Payne, June 3, 1913 (filed: Oversize 1)
- Payne, Frank C. (9 photographs)
- Payne, Lesley (1 photograph)
- Riley, James Whitcomb. Riley sitting for sculptress Myra (Reynolds) Richards, copyrighted by Shideler in 1916; undated snapshot of Riley with his chauffeur George W. Ray (2 photographs)
- Unidentified (67 photographs, including four tintypes)
V. Printed material (Box 2).
- Includes theater programs, clippings, etc. (1 folder)
VI. Miscellaneous (Box 2, except where noted).
- Includes: Legal case, Appendices H-K; Lists of letters to Riley and of his assets as well as letters to Mary Elizabeth (Riley) Payne and Lesley Payne; List of musical settings for Riley poems; Note regarding Clara Louise Bottsford and Riley; Royalty record of Riley estate for 1922-1924 (6 folders). Honorary degree from Yale awarded to James Whitcomb Riley, June 25, 1902 (filed: Oversize 3)