Lilly Library Manuscript Collections

PLATH MSS. X

The Plath mss. X, ca. 1945-1946, consists of five volumes of The Phillipian. The Phillipian was a quarterly publication of the Alice L. Phillips Junior High School, in Wellesley Hill, Massachusetts. Sylvia Plath contributed literary pieces to each of these five volumes, and is also named in different academic roles throughout.

Sylvia Plath was born in Boston, Massachusetts, and began writing poetry as a child. Plath moved to Wellesley, Massachusetts from Winthrop, Massachusetts in 1942, after the death of her father, Otto Plath. Sylvia Plath attended the Alice J. Phillips Junior High School. Plath entered Smith College in 1950 and, after an abortive suicide attempt in August of 1953, graduated in 1955. She then attended Newnham College in Cambridge for two years on a Fulbright Fellowship where late in her first year she met and shortly thereafter married poet Ted Hughes. Plath took her degree in June 1957, after which she and Hughes sailed to America for a year of teaching and a second year of writing and travel. In late 1959 they returned to England where Plath lived until her death in February 1963.

An inventory is available.

Collection size: 5 items

Related manuscripts: Plath mss., Plath mss. II, Plath mss. III, Plath mss. IV, Plath mss. V, Plath mss. XI, Plath mss. VI, Plath mss. VII, Plath mss. VIII, Plath mss. IX

For more information about this collection and any related materials contact the Public Services Department, Lilly Library, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405. Call (812) 855-2452 or send an email using our Ask a Question form.