The following resources are also available for this collection:
Part or all of this collection is housed at the Auxiliary Library Facility. For
details, see Using
Lilly Library ALF Materials.
Return to Description
I. General correspondence
- Additional correspondence can be found throughout the collection. The correspondence is not indexed.
- Box 1: 1933-1960
- Box 2: 1961-1974
- Box 3: 1975-1992
II. Research and writings
- A complete list is available.
- Box 3, folder 27 - Box 7, folder 2: By Rhoades. Arranged alphabetically by title.
- Box 7, folders 3-13: By others. Arranged alphabetically by author
- Includes materials relating to Rhoades's position at the United States Department of Agriculture and his various university appointments. Arranged in chronological order.
- folder 14: 1935-1940. United States Department of Agriculture. Arlington Farm, Virginia.
- folders 15-16: 1940-1948. Columbia University
- folder 17: 1948-1958. University of Illinois
- folders 18-31: 1958-1968. Indiana University
- Includes notes, tests, etc. pertaining to classes Rhoades attended and those he taught. Arranged alphabetically by subject or title of class.
- folder 32: Accidents of meiosis
- folder 33: Apomixis
- folder 34: Bacteriology 405: Genetics of microorganisms
- folder 35: Botany 31 (1925)
- folders 36-37: Botany 201-202
- folder 38: Botany 320 - Cytology
- folder 39: Centromere
- folder 40: Chemical induction of mutation
- folder 1: Chromosome structure
- folder 2: Chromosome structure, composition and replication
- folders 3-7: Crossing over
- folder 8: Cytogenetics, 1968
- folder 9: Cytogenetics, 1974
- folder 10: Cytology, 1929
- folder 11: Cytology, 1933
- folder 12: Embryo sac development
- folder 13: Endomitosis
- folder 14: Evolution of chromosome form and number
- folder 15: Gene and cytoplasm, iojap and plastids
- folder 16: Genetics 101 - University of California
- folder 17: Genetics 530 - Iowa State College 1934
- folder 18: Genic control (Ds-Ac)
- folder 19: Heterochromatin
- folder 20: Inversions
- folder 21: Meiosis
- folder 22: Meiotic drive
- folder 23: Microtechnique
- folder 24: Mitosis
- folder 25: Molecular genetics
- folder 26: Mutation
- folder 27: Mutation Ac Ds
- folder 28: Mutation Dt gene
- folder 29: Mutation Rr,A b
- folder 30: Neurospora crossing over
- folder 31: Nucleolus
- folder 32: Pericentric inversions
- folder 33: Polyploidy
- folder 34: Position effect
- folder 35: Recombination - centromere
- folder 36: Sex determination
- folder 37: Sister strand crossing over
- folder 38: Somatic crossing over
- folder 39: Temperature-moisture-time complex
- folders 40-42: Translocations
- folder 43: Unequal crossing over
- folder 44: Unusual genetic mechanisms
- Committees served on by Rhoades at universities and institutes outside his full-time appointments. Includes materials concerning personnel selection and reviews of departments.
- folder 1: Brookhaven National Lab, visiting committee, 1968
- folders 2-7: Cornell University, Biology Studies, 1963
- folder 8: Harvard University, Department of Biology, 1968
- folder 9: Harvard University, faculty appointment, 1968
- folder 10: University of Copenhagen, faculty appointment, 1975
- folder 11: University of Rochester, training grant renewal, 1970
- folder 12: University of Vermont, Department of Plant and Soil, and Department of Botany, 1975
VI. Conferences and organizations
- folder 13: Agricultural Research Service, information kit
- folder 14: Allerton meeting, 1959
- folder 15: American Genetic Association, 1960-1963
- folder 16: American Institute of Biological Sciences, 1969-1970
- folder 17: American Philosophical Society, 1987
- folder 18: American Society of Naturalists, 1950-1951
- folder 19: Biology Research Conference on Chromosome Mechanics at the Molecular Level, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Apr. 10-13, 1967
- folder 20: Botanical Society of America, Hoblitzelle National Award, 1957-1965
- folders 21-23: Genetics, Inc., 1939-1962
- folders 24-25: Genetics Society of America, 1941-1980
- folders 1-5: Genetics Society of America, 1941-1980 (con't)
- folders 6-8: Guggenheim, 1964-1976
- folder 9: Hybrid Corn Industry Conference, Nov. 28-29, 1951
- folders 10-11: International Committee on Genetic Symbols and Nomenclature, 1954-1973
- folder 12: International Conference on Replication and Recombination of Genetic Material, Canberra, Australia, Aug. 28-Sept. 1, 1967
- folder 13: International Congress of Genetics - Exhibition, Scotland, 1939
- folder 14: International Genetics Symposia, Japan, Sept. 6-12, 1956
- folder 15: International Maize Symposium, University of Illinois, 1975
- folder 16: Methodology in Medical Genetics symposium, Austin, Texas, May 3-5, 1961
- folder 17: National Academy of Sciences, Joseph Henry Fund, 1965-1970
- folder 18: National Institutes of Health, Division of Research Grants applications, 1962
- folder 19: National Institutes of Health, Fundamental Genetics proposal, n.d.
- folders 20-21: National Research Council, Division of Biology and Agriculture, 1942-1967
- folder 22: National Science Foundation: reports of meetings, National Medal of Science award, and proposals, 1962-1981
- folders 1-5: National Science Foundation:... (cont'd)
- folder 6: Stadler Genetics Symposium, University of Missouri-Columbia, Apr. 13-14, 1973
- folder 7: Unités Biologiques Douées de Continuité Génétique, Paris, June 25-July 3, 1948
VII. Editorial boards
- Includes correspondence, critiques and reviews by Rhoades and others, as well as the papers submitted for publication in the following journals: Caryologia, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, and Science.
- folder 8: Correspondence and critiques.
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Includes critiques, correspondence and manuscripts. Arranged alphabetically by author.
- folder 9: Alleman, Mary and Michael Freeling. The Mu transposable element of maize: Evidence for transposition and copy number regulation during development
- folder 10: Ausich, Rodney L. and Rose M. Murphy. Infection of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii by Agrobacterium tumefaciens
- folder 11: Blamire, John, Valerie R. Flechtner, and Ruth Sager. Regulation of nuclear DNA replication by the chloroplast in Chlamydomonas
- folder 12: Blumenthal, Thomas, James Douglass and Daniel Smith. Conformational alteration of protein synthesis elongation factor EF-Tu by EF-Ts and by kirromycin
- folder 13: Boynton, J.E., W.G. Burton, N.G. Gillham, and E.H. Harris. Can a mom-Mendelian mutation affect both chloroplasts and mitochondrial ribosome?
- folder 14: Brewen, J.G., and W.J. Peacock. Restricted rejoining of chromosomal subunits in aberration formation: A test for subunit dissimilarity.
- folder 15: Crandall, Marjorie, Lawrence M. Lawrence, and Robert M. Saunders. Molecular complementarity of yeast glycoprotein mating factors.
- folder 16: Drets, Maximo E., and Margery W. Shaw. Specific banding patterns of human chromosomes.
- folder 17: Ferl, Robert J. and Drew Schwartz. Mutations of maize alcohol dehydrogenase-l isozymes which influence electrophoretic mobility in the presence of sodium dodecyl sulfate
- folder 18: Forest, Charlene L. and Robert K. Togasaki. Selection for conditional gametogenesis in Chlamydomonas reinhardi.
- folder 19: Goldstein, David J., Robert K. Naviaux, Mary M. Davis, M. Edward Hodes and Thomas M. Ulbright. Pancreatic amylase specific monoclonal antibody binds salivary gland ducts
- folder 20: Helentjaris, Tim, David F. Weber, and Scott Wright. Use of monosomics to map cloned DNA fragments in maize
- folder 21:Lemieux, Claude, Monique Turmel, Verner L. Seligy and Robert W. Lee. Chloroplast DNA recombination in interspecific hybrids of Chlamydomonas.
- folder 22: Lien, Stephen, Anthony San Pietro, and Howard Gest. Mutational and physiological enhancement of photosynthetic energy-conversion in Rhodopseudomonas capsulata
- folder 23: Lowery-Goldhammer, Carolyn and John P. Richardson. An RNA-dependent nucleoside triphosphate phosphohydrolase (ATPase) associated with Rho termination factor.
- folder 24: Mahler, Henry R. and Karl Dawidowicz. Autonomy of mitochondria of Saccharomyces cerevisiae in their production of messenger RNA.
- folder 25: Marvo, Sandra L., Steven R. King, and S. Richard Jaskunas. The role of short regions of homology in intermolecular illegitimate recombinations.
- folder 26: Miller, Carlos O. Cytokinin inhibition of electron transport in mitochondria
- folder 27: Miller, Carlos O. Zeatin ribonucleoside: A major cytokinin produced by crown gall tumor tissue
- folder 28: Newton, Kathleen J. and Virginia Walbot. Maize mitochondria synthesize organ-specific polypeptides.
- folder 29: Paul, Anna-Lisa, Vimla Vasil, Indra K. Vasil and Robert J. Ferl. Constitutive and anaerobically induced DNase-I hypersensitive sites in the 5' region of the maize Adh1 gene
- folder 30: Peralta, Ernest G. and Lloyd Walter Ream. T-DNA border sequences required for crown gall tumorigenesis.
- folder 31: Prensky, Wolf, Dale M. Steffensen, and W.L. Hughes. The use of iodinated RNA for gene localization.
- folder 32:Schlanger, Gladys and Ruth Sager. Localization of five antibiotic resistances at the subunit level in chloroplast ribosomes of Chlamydomonas.
- folder 33: Schwartz, Drew. Gene controlled cytosine demethylation in the promoter region of the Ac transposable element in maize.
- folder 34: Schwartz, Drew. On the control of embryonic development in maize
- folder 35: Schwartz, Drew. On the tissue specific regulation of gene function: Pre-setting and erasure
- folder 36: Schwartz, Drew. Regulation of the expression of the Adh genes in maize.
- folder 37: Simon, Anne E. and Milton W. Taylor. High frequency mutation at the ademine phosphor-ribosyltransferase locus in CHO cells due to deletion of the gene.
- folder 38: Steffensen, Dale M. and D.E. Wimber. Localization of tRHA genes in the salivary chromosomes of drosophila by RNA:DNA hybridization
- folder 39: Strausberg, Robert L. and Ronald A. Butow. Gene conversion at the vari locus on yeast mitochondrial DNA
- folder 40: Sun, N.C., C.R.Y. Sun, A.W. Hsie and R.W. Tennant. Selective growth of some rodent epithelial cells in a medium containing citrulline
- folder 41: Surzycki, Stefan J. and N.W. Gillham. Organelle mutations and their expression in Chlamydomonas
- folder 42: Surzycki, Stefan J. and David L. Schellenbager. Purification and characterization of a putative igma factor from Chlamydomonas reinhardi reinhardi
- folder 1: Tischfield, Jay A. and John J. Trill. Genetic instability at the adenine phosphoribosyl transferase locus In mouse L cells
- folder 2: Trofatter, James A., Stephen R. Dlouhy, William DeMyer, P. Michael Conneally, and M.E. Hodes. Pelizaeus-Merzbacher disease: Tight linkage to proteolopid protein (PLP) gene exon variant.
- folder 3: Van Winkle-Swift, Karen P. Mating-type control of zygospore germination in Chlamydomonas: evidence from the homothallic species, C. monoica.
- folder 4: von Wettstein, D. The synaptinemal complex and four strand crossing over.
- folder 5: Watson, John C. and Stefan J. Surzycki. Extensive sequence homology in the DNA coding for elongation factor Tu from Escherichia coli and the Chlamydomonas reinhardi chloroplast
- folder 6: Williams, Gene R., Alice S. Williams and S.A. George. Hybridization of leucyl-tRNA isoacceptors from green leaves with nuclear and chloroplast DNA
- folder 7: Includes critiques only
- folders 8-9: American Cancer Society. Research in genetically induced mutations of cytoplasmic entities (plastids), 1946-1948
IX. Jones patent
- folder 10: Materials concerning patent on the method of producing hybrid seed corn secured by Donald Jones.
- Materials pertaining to Barbara McClintock including papers concerning awards, correspondence with Rhoades, research and writings, etc. (see also: Correspondence: 1942, Jan 13, Randolph to Rhoades; Editorial boards: PNAS, Drets and Shaw)
Awards (includes letters and printed materials)
- folder 11: Kimber award - 1967
- folder 12: Lasker award - 1981
- folder 13: MacArthur Foundation Prize Fellow - 1982
- folder 14: National Medal of Science - 1970
- folder 15: Nobel Prize - 1982
- folder 16: Wolf Prize - 1981
- folder 17: Biographical
- folders 18-22: Correspondence, 1935-1989
- folder 23: Demonstrations
- folder 24: Lectures: 1939
- folder 25: Lectures: 1941, cytogenetics
- folder 26: Annual report, 1947-1948
- folder 27: The AC locus, Part I. March, 1949
- folder 28: Chromosome organization and genic expression. June 1951
- folder 29: Control of gene action in maize
- folder 30: The Ds locus, Part III. April, 1949
- folder 31: Memorandum to Marcus Rhoades. First Section. Jan. 1949
- folder 32: The origin and location of transposed Ds 4710
- folder 33: Translocation
- folder 34: Printed
- folder 35: Five group photos.
Oversize: Group photo