Lilly Library Manuscript Collections

ROGERS, A.J. MSS.

The Rogers, A.J. mss., 1926-1968, consist primarily of original drawings, sketches, blueprints, photographs, and specifications for houses designed by Brown County, Indiana, architect Alvah Judson Rogers, 1894-1977.

Rogers was born October 19, 1894, in Gloversville, New York. In the late 1920's he joined his brother Clesson in California and the two of them began Rogers and Rogers, architectural contractors. For about five or six years they built homes in Oakland and Berkeley, California, and a few clippings in the collection document these projects. Sometime during the mid 1930's, Rogers returned east, and in the late 1940's settled in Nashville, Indiana. His major period of architectural work was 1949-1969. Although he continued to specialize in private homes, he also did some designs for public buildings, apartments, and country clubs.

In addition to the drawings and blueprints, there is a small file of correspondence, a work diary for the years 1953-1955, and several newspaper clippings about his work. The drawings and photographs represent both completed and unrealized projects, and include houses in Bloomington and other areas of Indiana, in Kentucky, and in Michigan, as well as Nashville and Brown County, Indiana.

Collection size: 1,988 items

For more information about this collection and any related materials contact the Public Services Department, Lilly Library, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405. Call (812) 855-2452 or send an email using our Ask a Question form.