Arranged alphabetically by correspondent. Individual names with significant number of letters may have separate folders and are filed immediately after the folder in which they would have been included.
A complete list of names is available.
- A - Porter, Andrew
- Porter, Andrew (cont.) - Z
- Personal ads correspondence
- First names and/or illegible names
- Organized into the following sections: articles; books; Grove's; lectures; scripts; notebooks.
Box 2 (cont.)
Articles. Arranged alphabetically by title.
- Beno Blachut - tenor. photocopy, 5pp.
- Benjamin Britten. holograph, 11pp.; two carbon typescripts, 7pp. each; one holograph of an additional article, 21pp.; holograph of an outline, 6pp. (1 folder)
- Bernard Shaw as Music Critic. two carbon typescripts, 63pp. and 25pp.
- Extending the Opera Repertory. corrected printer's copy, 8pp.
- Manon Lescaut: The Novel and the Operas. holograph, 21pp.
- Mathis der Maler. holograph, 10pp.
- The Music of Roberto Gerhard. holograph, 17pp.
- Musical Chaos. carbon typescript, 9pp. (incomplete)
- The Musical Theatre in London Since 1947. carbon typescript, 5pp.
- New Music. galley
- Noel Mewton-Wood. holograph, 6pp.
- A Nordic Diary. carbon typescript, 4pp. (incomplete) (on verso of: Musical Chaos
- The Operas of Leoš Janácek. Proof
- An Outburst of Opera. carbon typescript, 5pp.
- Personal Preference. carbon typescript, 6pp.
- An Urgent Appeal to Every Reader of the Gramophone. carbon typescript, 7pp.
- Vaughan Williams. holograph, 9pp.
- What Matters Most in Opera? typescript, 7pp.
- [untitled record reviews]. carbon typescript and mimeograph, 6pp.
- Covent Garden. Contains: Bibliography, several draft pages, an insert, etc. (1 folder)
- Research and proofs for entries in New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians (1 folder)
- Grove's (cont.) (3 folders)
- Benjamin Britten. typescript, 12pp.
- Mozart as Opera Composer. typescript, 11pp.
- Style in the Singing of Mozart. holograph, 5pp.; typescript, 9pp.; printed syllabus from the University of London (1953-1954) which includes this title
- Yvette Guilbert. Given Apr. 19, 1980. typescript, 16pp. and various research materials.
- Mostly BBC broadcast scripts. Transmission date given, when known.
- Adelina Patti (1843-1919). mimeograph 6pp..
- Arabella. carbon typescript, 10pp.
- The Art of Beno Blachut. For Radio 3, May 20, 1977. mimeograph, 12pp.
- The Art of Ivan Kozlovsky. Recorded Jan. 9, 1979. typescript, 8pp.
- The Art of Lotte Lehmann. For BBC World Sevice, recorded Mar. 28, 1972. mimeograph, 7pp.
- Beniamino Gigli (1). Apr. 19, 1971. mimeograph, 6pp.
- Benjamin Britten: A Retrospective Survey. For BBC Home Service, Nov. 21, 1963. carbon typescript, 12pp. and mimeograph, 18pp. (1 folder)
- Benjamin Britten and English Poetry. typescript and carbon typescript, 24pp. each(1 folder)
- La Cenerentola and Its Interpreters. photocopy, 5pp.
- Changing Styles in Mozart Singing. typescript, 12pp. and carbon typescript, 11pp.
- Characterisation in Mozart's Operas: 1 - Con Giovanni. For BBC Third Programme, Apr. 22, 1948. carbon typescript
- Characterisation in Mozart's Operas: 2 - The Marriage of Figaro. For BBC Third Programme, Apr. 29, 1948. two typescripts and carbon typescript, 5pp. each
- The Classical Style, by Charles Rosen. Book review by Shawe-Taylor. mimeograph, 8pp.
- Conchita Supervia (5). May 18, 1971. carbon typescript, 5pp.; mimeograph, 7pp.; and 3pp. of notes
- Conchita Supervia and Rossini. carbon typescript, 9pp.
- Discovering Opera. Series of six programs, Oct.-Nov. 1945. typescripts. 10pp., 9pp., 8pp., 7pp., 7pp., 8pp.
- Dvorak's The Jacobin. typescript, 3pp.
- Enrico Caruso (1873-1921). For Music Magazine, Feb. 20, 1973. carbon typescript 4pp.; mimeograph, 8pp. and one page of holograph notes
- Feodor Chaliapin (1873-1938). For Music Magazine, Feb. 6, 1973. mimeograph, 8pp.
- The First Version of Fidelio. typescript, 5pp.
- The Flying Dutchman. For BBC Home Service, Jan. 19, 1961. carbon typescript, 4pp.
- Four Great Singers. For BBC Third Programme, Sept.-Oct. 1947 (1 folder)
- 1. Nellie Melba (1859-1931). two typescripts, 6pp. and 7pp.
- 2. Ernestine Schumann-Heink (1861-1936). two typescripts, 6pp. and 5pp.; carbon typescript, 6pp.
- 3. John McCormack. typescript, 5pp.; carbon typescript, 6pp.; one page of discography
- 4. Pol Plançon (1854-1914). typescript, 6pp.; carbon typescript, 6pp.; typescript, with holograph sections, 6pp.
- Frida Leider and Jahhie Teyte: Two Birthday Tributes. mimeograph, 7pp. and 4pp. of holograph notes
- Frida Leider in Some of Famous Roles (series: Historic Performances on Record). For BBC Third Programme, Mar. 21, 1964. mimeograph, 7pp.
- Fritz Kreisler (1875-1962). Jan. 18, 1972. mimeograph, 6pp.
- Gigli. For BBC Home Service: Dec. 25, 1957. carbon typescript, 5pp.; Mar. 17, 1958. typescript, 6pp.
- Giovanni Martinelli. For BBC Home Service, Aug. 9, 1960. carbon typescript, 6pp.
- Handel's Messiah. photocopy, 4pp.
- The Interpreters of Gluck's Orpheus. For BBC Radio 3, Jan. 31, 1971. mimeograph, 6pp.
- Ivor Newton. For Music Magazine, Dec. 10, 1972. carbon typescript, 4pp.
- Janacek's Jenufa. For Music Weekly, Mar. 2, 1975. mimeograph, 5pp.
- Janacek's Operas. For BBC Third Programme, Apr. 13, 1959. mimeograph, 17pp.
- Kirsten Flagstad. typescript, 4pp.
- Lakmé: Interval Talk. Aug. 22, 1971. photocopy, 4pp.
- Lucia di Lammermoor and its Interpreters. typescript, 4pp.
- Manon and its Interpreters. photocopy, 4pp.
- Mary Garden (1874-1967). mimeograph, 5pp. and 3 pp. of holograph notes
- Mattia Battistini. Famous Singers series. For BBC Third Programme, Oct. 2, 1956. mimeograph, 6pp.
- A Melba Biography, book review. carbon typescript, 3pp.; mimeograph, 6pp.; and one page of holograph notes
- The Metropolitan Opera. For BBC Third Programme, Oct. 7, 1954. two carbon typescripts, 10pp. each
- Music-Lovers' Calendar [Verdi's early operas]. For BBC Home Service, Oct. 1, 1944. carbon typescript, 7pp.
- Music Magazine extracts: [L'Enfant et les Sortilèges], Dec. 12, 1948, typescript; [review of biography of Enrico Caruso, by T.R. Ybarra], Feb. 27, 1955, carbon typescript; [review of book Leos Janacek, His Life and Works, translated from the Czech of Jaroslav Vogel by Geraldine Thomsen-Muchová], June 23, 1963, mimeograph; [Donizetti], undated, typescript (1 folder)
- Music of the Western Masters. For BBC Eastern Service (1 folder)
- Verdi and Rossini, Nov. 12, . typescript, 6pp.
- Gluck, Nov. 19, . typescript, 5pp.
- Johann Strauss, Jan. 21, 1948. typescript, 4pp.; carbon typescript, 5pp.
- Musical Profile: Geraldine Farrar. Pre-recorded May 24, 1967. typescript, 4pp.; carbon typescript, 6pp.; and two pages of holograph notes
- On Wings of Song. For BBC Home Service, Sept. 24, 1956. typescript, carbon typescript, 8pp. each and one page of holograph notes
- Scenes from Bellini's Opera La Sonnambula. For BBC Home Service, Jan. 26, 1960. mimeograph, 5pp. and two pages of holograph notes
- Siegfried - Narration. carbon typescript, 7pp.
- Singer and Accompanist: book review. For Music Magazine. carbon typescript, 3pp.; mimeograph, 6pp.; and one page of holograph notes
- Sounds of Music. Two part programme for BBC Third Programme. June 20, 1966. two mimeographs, 11pp. and 15pp.; three pages of holograph notes; The Acoustics of Concert Halls, by Peter Parkin, mimeograph, 19pp. (1 folder)
- Studies in Interpretation: Three talks. For BBC Third Programme, May 18, Nov. 16, 23, 1950. mimeographs, 8pp., 6pp., 6pp. (1 folder)
- Til Eulenspiegel. For BBC Light Programme, July 8, 1946. carbon typescript, 6pp.
- Il Trovatore and its Interpreters. For Music Magazine. 6pp.
- Turandot and the Gramophone. For Radio Three, Mar. 9, 1972. carbon typescript, 4pp.; and mimeograph, 5pp.
- The Two Ariadnes. For BBC Third Programme, Aug, 21, 1950. mimeograph, 7pp.
- A Vanished Style. typescript, 2pp.
- Voice and Style. For BBC Third Programme. Three talks, Oct.-Nov. 1951 (1 folder)
- 1. Giovanni Martinelli. two mimeographs, 11pp. each
- 2. Conchita Supervia. two mimeographs, 10pp. each
- 3. Giuseppe de Luca. mimeograph, 8pp.
- Voice and Style. For BBC Third Programme. Four talks, Feb. 1953. (1 folder)
- 1. L'Eloge des Vieux. two mimeographs, 7pp. each
- 2. A Vanished Style. mimeograph, 7pp.
- 3. The Voice of France. mimeograph, 7pp.
- 4. Three Lieder Singers. carbon typescript, 7pp.
- Die Walküre and Its Interpreters. carbon typescript, 4pp.
- Walton's Operas. For Music Magazine, Mar. 26, 1972. photocopy, 4pp.
- War and Peace. mimeograph, 9pp.
- Miscellaneous notes.
- 1) Brief critiques of recordings and live performances; 2) Lists of recordings, operas and opera singers.
Writings by others.
- Mostly mimeograph articles, but also includes: Uncorrected copy of Hans Werner Henze's We Come to the River; interview with Sir Edward Downes about the Australian Opera
Box 3 (cont.)
- E.S. Cope estate. Chiefly correspondence with lawyers and relatives concerning the settlement of estate.
- Insurance. Property, vehicle and home insurance policies and related correspondence
- Lloyd's Bank. Statements, 1935-1988 (4 folders)
- Lloyd's Bank (cont.). (2 folders)
- Rathbone. Correspondence, 1942-1995, with "Rathbone Bros. & Co. (investors)" (3 folders)
- Statements of investments, 1940-1995. (3 folders)
- Miscellaneous financial materials.
Box 4 (cont.)
- Shawe-Taylor, Desmond. 16 photographs, including one snapshot. see also: Snapshots
- Shawe-Taylor, Fannie (Mrs. Wm. C. Trench). Shawe-Taylor's aunt, holding tennis racket about 1890
- Military. 35 snapshots of unidentified men in military uniforms
- Singers. 19 photographs of various operatic singers, mostly in costume. Includes seven portraits of Emma Eames
- Snapshots. 99 photographs, mostly of friends. A few include Shawe-Taylor (2 folders)
- Arranged alphabetically by subject.
Box 4 (cont.)
- Historic Masters Ltd., 1984-1995. (Issues 78rpm records in their original form.) Shawe-Taylor was on the Board of Directors. Contains correspondence, minutes of board and general meetings and financial accounts. Arranged chronologically. (2 folders)
- Oxford. Programs and menus from Shawe-Taylor's college years at Oxford University
- Personal. Materials unrelated to Shawe-Taylor's writing career, such as receipts concerning utilities, membership in The Wine Society, BUPA, etc.
- Postcards. 75 postcards, chiefly depicting scenery.
- Press releases. English National Opera, Glyndebourne Festival Opera, The Royal Opera, and The Welsh National Opera
- Programs. Chiefly music programs
- Record catalogs. Includes catalogs from: Collector's Corner, The Complete Record Company, EMI, Harmonia Mundi, and many other record selling companies (5 folders)
- Record catalogs (cont.) (2 folders)
- Travel. Notes, maps, brochures, notebook of contacts in the U.S. and Mexico for trips to Iran, U.S., Australia and Europe (2 folders)
- Miscellany. (2 folders)
Box 5 (cont.)
- Articles written by Shawe-Taylor, 1930-1966. (4 folders)
- Letters to editors, or articles about Shawe-Taylor. (1 folder)
- Articles by and about others (4 folders)
- Scrapbook of articles by Edward Sackville-West