SMITH, L.P. MSS.
The Smith, L.P. mss., ca. 1868-1946, consist primarily of correspondence and writings of Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865-1946. In addition to letters received by Smith from various people, his original letters to Lucy Martin Donnelly are all present in this file. Writings present include marked and corrected proofs for All Trivia (Constable & Co. 1933); manuscripts for On Reading Shakespeare (Constable & Co., 1933), and notes, drafts and a final typescript for A Religious Rebel; the Letters of "H.W.S" (Mrs. Pearsall Smith) , edited by Logan Pearsall Smith (her son).
The correspondence is arranged in chronological order and the writings alphabetically by title. Also present are a few writings by other authors, some photographs, and a few printed pieces and clippings, in particular obituaries for Logan Pearsall Smith.
There is a preliminary box/folder list.
Purchase (as part of the Gathorne-Hardy mss., in 1984). 1999
ca. 250 items
- Box 1
- 1868-1949 (7 folders)
- All Trivia. 2 sets of corrected page proofs
- A Curious Correspondence. typescript. 32p.
- Death in Iceland, 1938. typescript and autograph. 12p.
- Men's rights. typescript. 8p.
- [More Trivia]. Tear sheets of printed translations in French and German
- On Reading Shakespeare. page proofs (9 folders)
- [A Religious Rebel: Letters of "HWS." holograph and types (12 folders)
- Box 2
- Writings (cont.)
- A Religious Rebel (cont'd). typescripts (4 folders)
- Reprisals. typescript. 9p.
- Robert Bridges. page proofs, with holograph corrections
- Suggestions for the B.B.C. Advisory Committee on Spoken English. carbon typescript 14p.
- [Trivia]. Tearsheets of translations in Spanish, Italian and German
- [Notes on language history - English, Anglo Saxon, early French, etc.]
- [Poetry]. mostly typescript
- Miscellaneous writings & fragments
- Writings by others
- Gathorne-Hardy, Robert. Recollections of Logan Pearsall Smith, 1928-1946. Typescript, incomplete
- Macoll, D.S. Dirge [poem]. Typescript. 1p.
- Russell, John A Portrait of Logan Pearsall Smith. New York, 1950. Photocopy of book
- Memorial service program, menu, royalty statements, etc.
- L.P.S., residences, sailboats, etc.
- Two essays in juxtaposition: a fillip, by L.P.S., 1933
- Old Battersea House
- The Serif, quarterly of the Kent State University Libraries, Sept. 1970, Vol. VII, No. 3 (description of L.P.S. papers at Kent State)
- Miscellaneous Obituaries
- Three small notebooks. LPS cat. of his library?
- Writings (cont.)
Collection size: 250 items
NOTE: Access to this collection requires advance notice. Please contact the Curator of Manuscripts for additional information.