The Solt mss., ca. 1960-1974, consist primarily of the correspondence of Indiana University Professor and poet, Mary Ellen Solt, with other poets and writers. Present are letters from Robert Creeley, Denise Levertov, George Oppen, John Thirwall, and Louis Zukofsky. Also present is a notebook prepared and titled by Professor Solt "Index to Robert Creeley Ms Material - Lilly Library"; two Christmas cards from Florence (Mrs. William Carlos Williams) Williams; a holiday card and two color transparencies from Paul Williams relating to his father, William Carlos Williams; and a file of eighteen photographs and negatives of William Carlos Williams and family members, labeled by Professor Solt as "photos for book."
The files are arranged alphabetically by correspondent or subject in the case of the Creeley "Ms Material" notebook and the Williams photographs and transparencies.
A folder list and finding aid are available.
Gift. Mary Ellen Solt. Stevenson Ranch, CA 2001
- 1. Creeley, Robert. Correspondence 1961-1965
- 2. Creeley: "Index to Robert Creeley Ms Material - Lilly Library"
- 3. Levertov, Denise. Correspondence, 1974. (includes carbon copies of two letters from Solt to Levertov)
- 4. Oppen, George. Correspondence, 1961-1962 (includes an exchange between Solt and Rachel Blau DuPlessis about Oppen's letters)
- 5. Thirlwall, John. Correspondence, 1960-1962
- 6. Williams, William Carlos. Holiday cards from Florence Williams, 1960; 1972
- 7. Re: William Carlos Williams. Card and transparencies from Paul Williams
- 8. Re: William Carlos Williams: "Photos for Book"
- 9-10. Zukofsky, Louis. Correspondence, 1960-1972
- 11. Zukofsky, Louis. Miscellaneous: includes an exchange between Solt and Marcella Spann re: a selected letters of LZ volume; also 2 printed items re: Zukofsky's son Paul, a concert violinist
Collection size: 75 items
Related manuscripts: Solt mss. II