WILLIAMS, K.P. MSS.
The Williams, K.P. mss., 1820-1958, consist of letters and papers of Kenneth Powers Williams, 1887-1958, professor of mathematics at Indiana University and author of Lincoln Finds a General .
Career: born, August 25, 1887, Urbana, Ohio; son of John H. and Eva Augusta (Powers) Williams; A.B., Indiana University, 1908, A.M., 1909; PhD., Princeton University, 1913; married Mrs. Ellen (Laughlin) Scott, August 20, 1920; member of the faculty of the Department of Mathematics, Indiana University, 1909-1958; first lieutenant, Indiana National Guard, Mexican border, 1916; captain, Field Artillery, U.S. Army, with American Expeditionary Force, 1917-1919; officer, Field Artillery, Indiana National Guard, 1921-1931; colonel and chief of staff, 38th division, National Guard, 1931-1939; Colonel, Quartermaster corps, commanding 113th Quartermaster Regiment, and Quartermaster, 38th division in national service, 1941; died, September 25, 1958.
This collection consists of correspondence, 1926-1958, of Kenneth Powers Williams; drafts, illustrations, maps, notes, galley and page proofs, and a scrapbook of reviews of Williams' Lincoln Finds A General, volumes I-IV, 1949-1956; mathematics notes and problems, including worked out problems from courses taken at Indiana University and Princeton University and notes of early lecture courses given by him at Indiana University; and reprints of articles, 1910-1954, on mathematical, military and historical subjects written by Williams and published in periodicals. A box list is available.
The correspondence is concerned mainly with Lincoln Finds A General . Other subjects dealt with include the relation of Anna Ella Carroll, 1815-1893, to the Tennessee River Campaign in the Civil war and Williams' controversy with Sydney Greenbie, 1889-1960, and his wife, Mrs. Marjorie Latta (Barstow) Greenbie, 1891- , arising from Williams' article "The Tennessee River Campaign and Anna Ella Carroll," which appeared in the Indiana Magazine of History, XLVI: 221-248, September 1950; the Ku Klux Klan; the history of the Chicago & Eastern Illinois Railroad, the Illinois Central Railroad, and the Virginia Central Railroad during and after the Civil War; cartridges for loading arms before and after the Civil War; problems in astronomy and mathematics in colleges; the European situation in 1938; and the discharge of Jewish professors in Vienna and Prague in 1939.
Correspondence with Edwin W. Atwood, 1879- , mayor of Flint, Michigan, relates to his collection of Civil War materials and includes copies of letters of Ulysses Simpson Grant, Abraham Lincoln, William Tecumseh Sherman, and others, 1845-1882, which were sent to Williams by Atwood.
Correspondents represented in the collection include: Maxwell Aley, Paul McClelland Angle, John Edwin Bakeless, Richard Bardolph, John Donald Barnhart, Roy Prentice Basler, William Worth Balknap, Everett Newton Bowman, J.A.B.F. Brady, Erdmann Neumeister Brandt, Benjamin William Brice, Orville Hickman Browning, William Lowe Bryan, Frederic Lauriston Bullard, Ernest Franklin Canaday, Edward Richard Sprigg Canby, Clarence Selmer Carlson, Anna Ella Carroll, Thomas Nixon Carver, Robert Francis Catterson, Bruce Catton, Bennett Alfred Cerf, Gordon Keith Chalmers, Verner Warren Clapp, Gerald Maurice Clemence, Monroe Fulkeron Cockrell, William Edward Cole, Milton Conover, Roy Bird Cook, Watson M. Davis, Bernard Augustine De Voto, Glen H. Draper, Trevor Nevitt Dupuy, Clement Eaton, Robert Lawrence Eichelberger, Otto Eisenchmil, John Chipman Farrar, Samuel Wilson Fleming, 1885-1966, David Mansfield Frederick, Douglas Southall Freeman, Perring C. Galpin, Christian Gauss, Harry Merrill Gehman, Wilber H. Glover, Edgar Johnson Goodspeed, Jesse Root Grant, Ulysses Simpson Grant, Ulysses S. Grant, 1881-1968, Mrs. Marjorie Latta (Barstow) Greenbie, Sydney Greenbie, Cornelius Greenway, Farnham Pond Griffiths, Maruice Théodore Adolphe Hamy, Edwin Forrest Harding, Carl Haverlin, Archibald Henderson, Robert Selph Henry, Don Herold, Ernest Leopold Mettich, James Ernest Hicks, Jesse Hildebrand, Robert Lynn Hogg, Chauncey Benton Humphrey, Andrew Atkinson Humphreys, Edward Eyre Hunt, W.P. Isham, Samuel Richey Kamm, Louis Charles Karpinski, Estes Kefauver, Frank W. Kimball, Robert Lee Kincaid, Alfred Charles Kinsey, Edward Chase Kirkland, Harry Dexter Kitson, Alfred A. Knopf, Gustav Philipp Körner, Bertram Wallace Korn, Foreman Michael Lebold, Derrick Henry Lehmer, Basil Henry Liddell Hart, Abraham Lincoln, Robert Rutherford McCormick, Robert Gerald McMurtry, Charles Frederick Manderson, Sir Frederick Maurice, George Gordon Meade, David Chambers Mearns, Frederick Hill Meserve, Vernon Xavier Miller, Robert Houston Milroy, John Robert Moore, Herbert Rollo Morgan, Jonathan David Morris, Charles Helvetius Mottier, Forest Ray Moulton, Herbert George Moulton, Charles Love Mullins, Jr., Ralph Geoffrey Newman, Reno Odlin, Charles Norton Owen, Elwin Lawrence Page, Howard Henry Peckham, Herbert Shaw Philbrick, David Morris Potter, Charles Percy Powell, Harry Edward Pratt, Clark Ray, Henry Jarvis Raymond, John Davis Reichard, Edgar Taylor Rigg, F. Ray Risdon, Ashbel Sellew Roberts, L.W. Salinas Rodriguez, Leland Livingston Sage, George Sarton, Richard Schuster, Thomas Alexander Scott, George Pope Shannon, William Tecumseh Sherman, Carl Paxson Sherwin, Elmer William Sherwood, Harry Joseph Sievers, William Milligan Sloane, 1906- , Henry Warner Slocum, Alfred Whital Stern, Robert Roth Stoll, Hudson Strode, James Arthur Stuart, Charles Pelot Summerall, Alexander Campbell Tener, Maurice Emerson Tennant, Benjamin Platt Thomas, Robert Spencer Thomas, Stith Thompson, Joseph Jaqcobs Thorndike, 1913- , William Henry Townsend, Edwin Robert Van Kleeck, Edward Campbell Von Trees, Guy Alwyn Wainwright, Clyde Cameron Walton, William S. Warford, Ezra J. Warner, Louis Austin Warren, Chester Burleigh Watts, Herman B Wells, J. Randall Williams, 3d, Thomas Harry Williams, David Wilmot, Lewis Albert Wilson, and Charles Ballard Zimmerman.
In addition to correspondence and the Lincoln Finds A General materials the collection contains a survey on the certification of teachers, 1944 papers on the history and teaching of mathematics at Indiana University, 1938, 1944; a mathematical manuscript textbook by Milo G. Williams, 1820; and an autographed copy of the mimeographed "Introduction to Plane Algebraic Geometry" by Václav Hlavatý.
Some of the maps and papers in the collection are in a folio folder.
The drafts, illustrations, maps, notes and galley and page proofs of Lincoln Finds A General, volumes I-V, are described below.
Williams, Kenneth Powers, 1887-1958, professor. Lincoln Finds A General: A Military Study of the Civil War, with Maps by Clark Ray. A.&T.D. p. 13-28cm.
Comprises vol. I-IV of work by same title, published, New York, Macmillan, 1949-1959.
- Drafts: vol. I. No.  Printer's copy. T.D. with holograph revisions. , 534 [i.e. 535]p. 28cm. Lacks footnotes, list of illustrations and permission to quote copyrighted material; no.  carbon copy of printer's copy. T.D. with holograph revisions. [12,683]p. 28cm. Lacks permission to quote copyrighted material. Footnote numbering varies from printed version.
- Drafts: vol. II. no.  Printer's copy. T.D. with Holograph revisions. p. 535-1339 [804, i.e. 805]p. 28cm. Footnotes and bibliography for vol. I. included. Lacks half-title, title-page, copyright notice, permission to quote copyrighted material, contents, and list of illustrations; no.  Carbon copy of printer's copy. T.D. with holograph revisions. [775, i.e. 795]p. 28cm. Lacks half-title, title-page, copyright notice, and permission to quote copyrighted material. Footnote numbering varies from printed version.
- Drafts: vol. III. no.  Printer's copy. T.D. with holograph revisions. 780, 76p. 28cm. Dedication varies from printed copy. Number of footnotes to appendix varies from printed copy; no.  Carbon of Printer's copy. T.D. with holograph revisions. 846 [i.e. 852]p. 28cm.Dedication varies from printed copy. Number of footnotes to appendix varies from printed copy. Lacks acknowledgments and copyright note; no.  Drafts of bibliography. T.D. with holograph revisions. 10p. 28cm., and 2 incomplete copies of index. T.D. with holograph revision 15, 16p. 28cm.
- Drafts: vol. IV. no.  Printer's copy. T.D. with holograph revision. , 868p. 28cm. Lacks acknowledgments and index; no.  Carbon copy of printer's copy. T.D. with holograph revisions. p. 28cm. Lacks half-title and acknowledgements; no.  Draft of half-title and acknowledgments; no.  Draft of preface, chapter I, appendix II and bibliography. T.D. with holograph revisions. 81p. 28cm.
- Drafts: vol. V. no.  seven drafts of text, four drafts of footnotes of chapter I, T.D. with holograph revisions, and suggested changes in the hand of someone other than Williams, p. 20 1/2, 28cm.; four drafts of text, two drafts of footnotes of Chapter II, T.D. with holograph revisions; suggested changes by John M. Hill and notes, p. 13-28cm. two drafts of text, one draft of text and footnotes of Chapter III with holograph revisions and notes, p. 12-28cm.; one draft of text, draft of a portion of the text, draft of footnotes, two complete drafts of chapter IV, T.D. with holograph revisions, and notes by someone other than Williams, p. 13-28cm.; Two drafts of chapter V, and notes, T.D. with holograph revisions, p. 13-28cm; two drafts of chapter VI, T.D. with holograph revisions p. 13-28cm.; two drafts of chapter VII, T.D. with holograph revision, p. 15-28cm.; one draft of text and one complete draft of chapter VIII, T.D. with holograph revision, p. 14-28.; two drafts of chapter IX, T.D. with holograph revisions, p. 15-28cm.; drafts of letters used in appendix, p. 28cm., drafts of bibliography T.D. with holograph revisions, and notes, p. 8-28cm.; drafts of chapter X, last chapter, Grant's trip to Washington, which were not published in printed version, and notes p. 8-28cm. no.  carbon of text of chapter IV. T.D. with holograph revisions, p. 28cm.; carbon of chapter VI, T.D. with holograph revisions, p. 28cm. no.  Printer's copy. T.D. with holograph revisions. 583+62 [i.e. 646]p. 28cm. Lacks acknowledgements and speech made by Lincoln at White House March 9, 1864, which is on back flyleaf of printed copy.
- Illustrations: vol. I & II. 10 negatives of illustrations. 12 1/2 cm. Lacks negative of Lieutenant General Ulysses S. Grant.
- Illustrations: vol. III. Printer's copy. 7p. 28cm.
- Illustrations: vol. IV. Printer's copy. 6p. 28cm.; Proofs of illustrations. 6p. 26 1/2cm.
- Illustrations: vol V. Printer's copy. p. 28cm. Lacks picture of Major General Ethan A. Hitchcock.
- Illustrations: Not used 1 glossy print of "Edwin M. Stanton." 25cm.; 1 glossy print of "Abraham Lincoln in Gen. McClellan's tent," 25 cm.; 22 negatives of illustrations. 9 1/2 x 12 1/2cm.; 1 negative of "Firing on the 'Star of the West';" 12 glossy prints of illustrations. 25cm.; 2 negative photostats from Harper's Weekly. 30cm.; receipts for rent of illustrations copied. 2p. 7cm.; notes. 7p. 7 1/2 x 28cm.
- Maps: vol. I. Printer's copy, 24p. 28 x 43cm. (elephant folio) Lacks map of "Vicinity of Warrenton," p. 283 of printed text.
- Maps: vol. II. Printer's copy, 22p 28 x 43cm. (elephant folio) Lacks map of "Battle of Gettysburg third day, July 3, 1863, 4:30P.M.," p. 714 of printed text.
- Maps: vols. I & II. Original maps and notes returned by Clark Ray, maps, 47p. 28cm., notes, 17p. 28cm.; original maps, retained copies with notes and photostats of some of the maps, original maps, 46p. 28cm., notes 22p. 28cm; photostats, 3 positives and 3 negatives, 12 x 14cm.; original maps not used, vol. I, 4p. 28cm.; end map, transparent sheet, 60cm. (elephant folio); notes on end maps, 12p. 14 x 28cm.; photostats of end maps, 4 positives and 3 negatives, 15 x 35 1/2cm. (elephant folio); photostats, 18 positives and 28 negatives, 8 x 21cm.; proof of maps, 47p. 28cm.; proof of 3 end maps, 38 1/2 x 43cm. (elephant folio)
- Maps: vol. III. Original maps with notes and photostats of some of the maps, maps, 27p. 28cm., notes, 24p. 12 1/2 x 28cm., photostats, 9 negatives, 13 x 22cm.; original maps, retained copies with notes and photostats of some of the maps, maps, 25p. 28cm., notes, 38p. 12 1/2 x 28cm., photostats, 24 positives and 4 negatives. 10 x 28cm.; legends to go below maps, 2p. 28cm.; printer's copy, 25p. 19 x 34cm. (elephant folio), lacks "The Missouri-Arkansas Theater," p. 288 of printed text, and "The Tennessee-Alabama theater," p. 401 of printed text.
- Maps: vol. IV. Original maps and notes, maps, 39p. 28cm., notes, 50p. 12 1/2 x 28cm.; photostats, 15 positives and 17 negatives, 14 x 29cm.; photostats returned by Macmillan company, 24 positives, 10 1/2 x 18cm.; printer's copy, 21p. 25 x 38cm. (elephant folio), lacks "Region of Buell's advance from Corinth," p. 28 of printed text, "The Hard approach to Chattanooga," p. 36 of printed text, Region of Banks's operations," p. 3540 of printed text.
- Maps: vols. III & IV, end map. Transparent sheet. 57 x 73cm. (elephant folio); photostats, 1 positive and 1 negative, 34 x 45cm. (elephant folio); proof for end map. 1p. 32 1/2cm. (elephant folio); printed section of end map and notes. 2p. 28cm.
- Maps: vol. V. Original maps with notes and photostats. Maps p. 28 x 71cm. Lacks nos. 1, 3, 10. Notes p. 3-28cm.; photostats, 7 positives, 7 negatives, 9-32cm.; printer's copy p. 17-38cm.; proof of maps p. 28cm. Some of these maps are in elephant (folio) folder.
- Maps: Not used. 4 photostats, 1 positive and 3 negatives. 20 1/2 x 30cm.
- Notes: vol. I-V
- Proofs: vol. I. Galley sheets. 123 [i.e. 124]p. 60 1/2 x 15 1/2cm.; page proof. 443 [i.e. 453]p. 15 3/4 x 5 3/4cm.
- Proofs: vol. II. Galley sheets p. 124-278 [i.e. 155]p. 60 1/2 x 15 1/2cm.; page proof. p. 445-865 [i.e. 423]p. 15 3/4 x 5 3/4cm.
- Proofs: vol. III. Galley sheets. 208p. 60 1/2 x 15 1/2cm.; page proof 525 [i.e. 532]p. 15 3/4 x 5 3/4cm.
- Proofs: vol. IV. Galley sheets. 195p. 60 1/2 x 15 1/2cm.; page proof. 595p. 15 3/4 x 5 3/4cm.
- Proofs: vol. V. Galley sheets. 126p. 60 1/2 x 15 1/2cm., lacks galley sheet 111; page proof. 395 [i.e. 424]p. 15 3/4 x 5 3/4cm.
- Scrapbook of reviews. 95p. 33cm.
- Gift. Kenneth P. Williams, Bloomington, Indiana. 1950, 1958, 1959, 1960
Collection size: 3,646 items