The items listed here are from the collection of William Adolphus Ashton (1903-1870), who emigrated with a group from Manchester, England, to establish a co-operative community in Franklin County, Indiana, in 1834. When this community failed in 1836, Ashton turned first to the manufacture of oilcloth, then to the study and practice of medicine, and last to farming, for his livelihood. This collection contains materials related to his commercial, agricultural, and medical ventures. It also reflects the variety of interests - political, religious, and economic - which would have been of great concern to such an advocate of social reform as was Ashton. Ashton's papers and other materials concerning him are located in the Lilly Manuscript Division.
To request these materials for use, complete a Lilly Library charge card indicating the collection and specific box and item number. Example:
HX 519 Box 1, no. 6