Miscellaneous uncataloged materials relating to William Beckford
To request these materials for use, complete a Lilly Library charge card
indicating the collection and specific box and item number. Example:
Box 1, no.13
Books and Pamphlets About Beckford
1. William Beckford, some notes on his life in Bath, 1822-1844, and a
catalogue of the exhibition in the Holburne of Menstrie Museum,
14 June to 3 July 1966, by Peter Summers and Philippa Bishop.
London. The Curwen Press. 1966.
2. Catalogue of ... the well-known library from Killadoon, Co. Kildare,
formed by the late H.J.B. Clements. The first part, comprising a
collection of books from the library of William Beckford of Fonthill.
Sold at auction by Sotheby & Co. 1966.
Periodical Articles About Beckford
3. "Beckford's gothic wests," by Albert Ten Eyck Gardner. In The Metropolitan
Museum of Art Bulletin Vol 13, No 2, Page 41-49. Removed to Mss. Dept. with
T.L.S. Boyd Alexander to Charles Ballantyne. Dated 7 Dec 1954.
4. "William Beckford of Fonthill," by James T. Babb. In the Yale
University Library Gazette. Oct 1966. Page 60-69.
5. "Fonthill and portraits of William Beckford (1760-1844)" by Boyd
Alexander. In The Register of the Museum of Art, the University
of Kansas. Winter 1967. Page 2-13.
6. "William Beckford (1744-1799), patron of painters of Jamaica," by
Richard B. Sheridan. In The Register of the Museum of Art, the
University of Kansas. Winter 1967. Page 14-23.
7. "The Lausanne edition of Beckford's Vathek," by John Carter. In
Transactions of the Bibliographical Society. March 1937.
8. "William Beckford, man of taste," by Boyd Alexander. In History
Today. Oct 1960. Page 686-694.
9. "William Beckford as patron," by Boyd Alexander. In Apollo. July
1962. Page 360-364. Inscribed by author to Charles Ballantyne.
10. "Beckford the caliph, a traveller of two worlds: passion and fantasy,".
From The Times Literary Supplement. 6 May 1944. Page 222.
11. "The mask of Beckford" [a review of William Beckford, 1760-1844,
by Andre Parreaux]. From The Times Literary Supplement. 10 Feb
1961. Page 81.
12. "William Beckford at Yale" [a review of the Yale University Library
catalog of William Beckford's library, compiled by Boyd Alexander].
From The Times Literary Supplement. 20 Oct 1966.
13. "William Beckford in the salesroom," From The Times Literary
Supplement. 20 Oct 1966.
14. "An eccentric drawn to his doom" [a review of England's wealthiest son,
William Beckford, by Boyd Alexander]. By Moray McLaren,
identified by a ms. note. From The Scotsman Week-end
magazine section. 17 Feb 1962.
15. "Beckford's letters to George Clarke," From The Times Literary Supplement.
16 Feb 1962.
16. "Fonthill, Wiltshire, I, alderman Beckford's houses," by John Harris.
From Country Life. 24 Nov 1966. Page 1370-1374.
17. "Fonthill, Wiltshire, II, the abbey and its creator," by Boyd Alexander.
From Country Life. 1 Dec 1966. Page 1430-1434.
18. "Fonthill, Wilshire, III, William Beckford as collector," by Boyd
Alexander. From Country Life. 8 Dec 1966. Page 1572-1576.
19. 2 views of Lansdown Tower.
20. 9 clippings concerning bibliographical points about Beckford's writings.