LEW WALLACE (1827-1905)
Miscellaneous uncataloged materials.
3 boxes, 3 folders in map case
Includes clippings and articles concerning Lew Wallace as well as posters, programs, advertisements, photographs, and brochures concerning the 1959 motion picture Ben-Hur.
To request these materials for use, complete a Lilly Library charge card indicating the collection and specific item number.
Box 2, Item 14
Items marked with an asterisk are in oversize storage as specified.
- * 1. Twelve giant advertising posters for the MGM movie Ben Hur. Includes photos from the movie and prints of paintings by Ben Stahl. c1959. (in map case).
- 2. 576 unsorted clippings concerning Lew Wallace.
- * 3. "General Wallace's New Book," The Independent, September 7, 1893. A clipping. (in map case)
- * 4. "Lew Wallace's Great Novel Now on Screen," The Crawfordsville Journal, Crawfordsville, Ind., January 5,
1926, vol. XXXVIII, no. 234. A clipping. (in map case)
- * 5. "How I Came to Write 'Ben Hur', by General Lew Wallace," The
Youth Companion, February 2, 1893. A Photostat. (in map case)
- * 6. Nineteen theater programs on Ben Hur. (two shelved in map case)
- * 7. "Lew Wallace's Novel, 'Ben Hur', Outsold All Books but Bible," Indianapolis Star, September 18, 1966. A clipping. (in map case)
- 8. The Stereopticon Illustrator of 'Ben Hur', a Tale of the Christ, by Lew Wallace. New York, Riley Brothers [n.d.] An advertisement.
- 9. Three photographs of scenes from the movie Ben Hur and one photograph of an actress who played in Ben Hur.
- 10. A Guide to the Discussion and Appreciation of the Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Production 'Ben Hur' directed by William
Wyler. Photoplay Studies, November, 1959, vol. 24, no. 5.  p.
- 11. The Story of the Making of Ben Hur, a Tale of the Christ. Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Random House, c1959.  p. Includes a folded card with "The Chariot Race," by Ben Stahl on front and a ms. invitation inside to a special preview of MGM's Ben Hur at the Bloomington Indiana Theatre on January 18, 1961. Includes a 10 p. brochure advertising MGM's Ben-Hur.
- 12. Souvenir Album, Scenes of the Play. Ben Hur. Klaw & Erlanger, c1900. .
- * 13. A broadside advertising Klaw & Erlanger's production of Gen. Lew Wallace's Ben Hur. 71 x 42 cm. (in map case)
- " 14. Unpublished facts about a great novel, by J.M.," The Transylvanian, Lexington, Ky., November, 1919, vol. XXIX, no. 1, p. 10-13.
- * 15. A brochure advertising a grand illustrated lecture entitled "Ben Hur," given by the Rev. E. Homer Wellman, Ph.D. (in map case)
- 16. Lew Wallace's Ben Hur, a play arranged for the stage by William Young. [n.p.] Harper & Brothers, 1899. -116 p. (Catalogued separately. See Lilly PS3134 .B45 1899.)
- 17. Two broadsides advertising anniversary observance of the publication of Ben Hur, November 14. 22.2 x 28 cm. and 28 x 21.6 cm.
- * 18. Theatre program on a reading given by Virginia Saffel Mercer, a dramatic reader, entitled "The Healing of the Lepers," an entire evening from Ben Hur. (in map case)
- 19. A brochure advertising Miss Zara McCosh's dramatic readings, one of which is Ben Hur. Salem, Ohio, Amusement Bureau [n.d.]
- 20. Two post cards on Ben Hur.
- 21. An advertisement for Supreme Tribe Ben Hur, A Fraternal Beneficial Society. Home Office: Crawfordsville, Indiana
- 22. Possibly a script to accompany a slide show based on Ben Hur.
- 23. A brochure advertising stereopticon slides of Ben Hur.
- 24. Ben-Hur, A Tale of the Christ, by Lew Wallace. London: "Review of Reviews" Office [n.d.]
- 25. Selections for Tableaux from Ben-Hur. Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ, by Lew Wallace. [n.p.] Harper & Brothers, c1880.  p.
- 26. "Ben Hur Centennial." [Crawfordsville, Indiana] 1980.  p.
- 27. Montgomery, Your County Magazine, Vol. 5, No. 11 for November 1980. [Special issue on Lew Wallace and Ben Hur]  p.
- 28. Three theater programs on The Prince of India.
- * 29. A broadside advertising The Wooing of Malkatoon and Commodus. Harper and Brothers, Publishers. 42.1 x 29.2 cm. (in map case)
- * 30. A broadside advertising The Prince of India or Why Constantinople Fell. Harper and Brothers, Publishers. 40 x 52 cm. (in map case)
- 31. A souvenir of the Loving Cup Presentation to Major-General Lew Wallace ... December 16, 1898. Indianapolis, Sentinel Printing Company [n.d.]
- 32. Six photographs of paintings of Lew Wallace's The Fair God.
- 33. Press notes from San Francisco papers on lectures by General Lew Wallace, October 30, 1894 and November 2, 1894.
- 34. Three programs for lectures on Lew Wallace.
- 35. "The Faith of Lew Wallace [by] Joseph Myers, Jr.," The Transylvanian, Lexington, Kentucky, February 1919, vol. XXVIII, no. 3, p. 22-25.
- 36. "General Lew Wallace, by Mary L.D. Ferris," Society of American Authors, Dobbs Ferry, New York, April 1902, vol. I, no. 5, p. -131.
- 37. The Benevolent Raid of General Lew Wallace; How Mexico was Saved in 1864 ... Compiled by A.W. Barber. Washington D.C., R. Beresford, 1914, p. 3-20.
- 38. In Memoriam Major-General Lew Wallace ... State of Indiana, Order of the Commandery, May 5, 1905, p. -33.
- 39. A collection of music and photographs, mostly associated with General Lew Wallace. 11 pieces.
- 40. United States District Court, For the Southern District of New York. Harper & Brothers & Henry L. Wallace, Complainants, against Marc Klaw & Abraham [L.] Erlanger, Defendants. Bill of Review. 1-10 p.
- 41. United States Circuit Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. Harper & Brothers & Henry L. Wallace, Petitioners-Appellants, against Marc Klaw & Abraham Erlanger,
Respondents. Petition and Affidavits for Leave, &c., to file Bill of Review. (2 copies with manuscript annotations) 1-70 p.
- 42. Program for "Picture Drama ... 'Ben-Hur,' a Tale of the Christ. Delineated in Song and Story." [n.p., n.d., 4 p.]