LEW WALLACE (1827-1905)
Miscellaneous uncataloged materials.
3 boxes, 3 folders in map case
Includes clippings and articles concerning Lew Wallace as well as posters, programs, advertisements, photographs, and brochures concerning the 1959 motion picture Ben-Hur.
To request these materials for use, click IUCAT to go to the collection's catalog record, then click the "Lilly Library: Request This" button. You will be prompted to create an account in our Lilly Library request system if you have not already created one. Selected information will automatically appear on the request form. Please add the box number in the Volume/Box field and its item number in the Issue/Copy field to select a specific box and item number from the collection.
Items marked with an asterisk are in oversize storage as specified.
- * 1. Twelve giant advertising posters for the MGM movie Ben Hur. Includes photos from the movie and prints of paintings by Ben Stahl. c1959. (in map case).
- 2. 576 unsorted clippings concerning Lew Wallace.
- * 3. "General Wallace's New Book," The Independent, September 7, 1893. A clipping. (in map case)
- * 4. "Lew Wallace's Great Novel Now on Screen," The Crawfordsville Journal, Crawfordsville, Ind., January 5,
1926, vol. XXXVIII, no. 234. A clipping. (in map case)
- * 5. "How I Came to Write 'Ben Hur', by General Lew Wallace," The
Youth Companion, February 2, 1893. A Photostat. (in map case)
- * 6. Nineteen theater programs on Ben Hur. (two shelved in map case)
- * 7. "Lew Wallace's Novel, 'Ben Hur', Outsold All Books but Bible," Indianapolis Star, September 18, 1966. A clipping. (in map case)
- 8. The Stereopticon Illustrator of 'Ben Hur', a Tale of the Christ, by Lew Wallace. New York, Riley Brothers [n.d.] An advertisement.
- 9. Three photographs of scenes from the movie Ben Hur and one photograph of an actress who played in Ben Hur.
- 10. A Guide to the Discussion and Appreciation of the Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Production 'Ben Hur' directed by William
Wyler. Photoplay Studies, November, 1959, vol. 24, no. 5.  p.
- 11. The Story of the Making of Ben Hur, a Tale of the Christ. Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Random House, c1959.  p. Includes a folded card with "The Chariot Race," by Ben Stahl on front and a ms. invitation inside to a special preview of MGM's Ben Hur at the Bloomington Indiana Theatre on January 18, 1961. Includes a 10 p. brochure advertising MGM's Ben-Hur.
- 12. Souvenir Album, Scenes of the Play. Ben Hur. Klaw & Erlanger, c1900. .
- * 13. A broadside advertising Klaw & Erlanger's production of Gen. Lew Wallace's Ben Hur. 71 x 42 cm. (in map case)
- " 14. Unpublished facts about a great novel, by J.M.," The Transylvanian, Lexington, Ky., November, 1919, vol. XXIX, no. 1, p. 10-13.
- * 15. A brochure advertising a grand illustrated lecture entitled "Ben Hur," given by the Rev. E. Homer Wellman, Ph.D. (in map case)
- 16. Lew Wallace's Ben Hur, a play arranged for the stage by William Young. [n.p.] Harper & Brothers, 1899. -116 p. (Catalogued separately. See Lilly PS3134 .B45 1899.)
- 17. Two broadsides advertising anniversary observance of the publication of Ben Hur, November 14. 22.2 x 28 cm. and 28 x 21.6 cm.
- * 18. Theatre program on a reading given by Virginia Saffel Mercer, a dramatic reader, entitled "The Healing of the Lepers," an entire evening from Ben Hur. (in map case)
- 19. A brochure advertising Miss Zara McCosh's dramatic readings, one of which is Ben Hur. Salem, Ohio, Amusement Bureau [n.d.]
- 20. Two post cards on Ben Hur.
- 21. An advertisement for Supreme Tribe Ben Hur, A Fraternal Beneficial Society. Home Office: Crawfordsville, Indiana
- 22. Possibly a script to accompany a slide show based on Ben Hur.
- 23. A brochure advertising stereopticon slides of Ben Hur.
- 24. Ben-Hur, A Tale of the Christ, by Lew Wallace. London: "Review of Reviews" Office [n.d.]
- 25. Selections for Tableaux from Ben-Hur. Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ, by Lew Wallace. [n.p.] Harper & Brothers, c1880.  p.
- 26. "Ben Hur Centennial." [Crawfordsville, Indiana] 1980.  p.
- 27. Montgomery, Your County Magazine, Vol. 5, No. 11 for November 1980. [Special issue on Lew Wallace and Ben Hur]  p.
- 28. Three theater programs on The Prince of India.
- * 29. A broadside advertising The Wooing of Malkatoon and Commodus. Harper and Brothers, Publishers. 42.1 x 29.2 cm. (in map case)
- * 30. A broadside advertising The Prince of India or Why Constantinople Fell. Harper and Brothers, Publishers. 40 x 52 cm. (in map case)
- 31. A souvenir of the Loving Cup Presentation to Major-General Lew Wallace ... December 16, 1898. Indianapolis, Sentinel Printing Company [n.d.]
- 32. Six photographs of paintings of Lew Wallace's The Fair God.
- 33. Press notes from San Francisco papers on lectures by General Lew Wallace, October 30, 1894 and November 2, 1894.
- 34. Three programs for lectures on Lew Wallace.
- 35. "The Faith of Lew Wallace [by] Joseph Myers, Jr.," The Transylvanian, Lexington, Kentucky, February 1919, vol. XXVIII, no. 3, p. 22-25.
- 36. "General Lew Wallace, by Mary L.D. Ferris," Society of American Authors, Dobbs Ferry, New York, April 1902, vol. I, no. 5, p. -131.
- 37. The Benevolent Raid of General Lew Wallace; How Mexico was Saved in 1864 ... Compiled by A.W. Barber. Washington D.C., R. Beresford, 1914, p. 3-20.
- 38. In Memoriam Major-General Lew Wallace ... State of Indiana, Order of the Commandery, May 5, 1905, p. -33.
- 39. A collection of music and photographs, mostly associated with General Lew Wallace. 11 pieces.
- 40. United States District Court, For the Southern District of New York. Harper & Brothers & Henry L. Wallace, Complainants, against Marc Klaw & Abraham [L.] Erlanger, Defendants. Bill of Review. 1-10 p.
- 41. United States Circuit Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. Harper & Brothers & Henry L. Wallace, Petitioners-Appellants, against Marc Klaw & Abraham Erlanger,
Respondents. Petition and Affidavits for Leave, &c., to file Bill of Review. (2 copies with manuscript annotations) 1-70 p.
- 42. Program for "Picture Drama ... 'Ben-Hur,' a Tale of the Christ. Delineated in Song and Story." [n.p., n.d., 4 p.]