Harrison Spring: One of the Largest in the Midwest (GM-13)
The largest spring in Indiana, and one of the first to be used to power a mill, is Harrison Spring, just north of White Cloud in Harrison County. The spring issues beneath a pool about 100 feet long, 80 feet wide, and at least 35 feet deep. The water rises from a large cavern that apparently has been buried by Pleistocene alluvium.

The amount of water the spring discharges varies greatly, but its minimum flow is more than 3 million gallons a day and increases to about 10 times that amount following heavy rains. Much of the spring water is diverted from 4 miles to the northeast; from the spring these waters flow southward about half a mile into the Blue River.

William Henry Harrison, governor of Indiana Territory from 1800 to 1812, constructed a gristmill and a sawmill just downstream from the spring in 1807. Harrison maintained a farm at the spring, and the area became known as Harrison Valley.

Our Hoosier State Beneath Us: Geomorphology


[Previous Page] [Next Page]
[Home Page]