New Harmony: 19th Century Center of Culture and Science (HI-09)
For much of the mid-19th century, New Harmony was a center of culture and geologic research in the United States. Beginning in 1826, Scottish industrialist Robert Owen sought outstanding scientists and educators in Europe and the eastern United States and brought them to his newly acquired community. "The Boatload of Knowledge" included notable scientists William MacLure, Thomas Say, Charles Alexander Leseur, and Gerald Troost, and also other well-known scientists, educators and artisans.

David Dale Owen, Robert Owen's son, made the first geologic reconnaissance of Indiana in 1837-38. In 1839, the Federal Government appointed him principal agent of the U.S. Land Office in Illinois, Iowa and Wisconsin. Using his laboratory in New Harmony as headquarters, he later conducted detailed geologic reconnaissance for those states and for Kentucky and Arkansas. Owen's early work was the forerunner of geologic research done by the U.S. Geological Survey after it was organized in 1879.

Our Hoosier State Beneath Us: Historical


[Previous Page] [Next Page]
[Home Page]