Sources for Research in British History
I. Library Catalogs
- Indiana University Libraries' catalog. Contains records for 85% of
Libraries' collections. Remember to check the card catalog for materials
published before 1976, if they are not listed in IUCAT.
- Some possibly useful subject heading searches:
- s=national characteristics british
- s=national characteristics english
- s=national characteristics scottish
- s=celts--great britain
- s=scotland--social life and customs
- s=ireland--social life and customs
- Database containing the combined online catalogs of most of
the libraries in
the US and a selection of European libraries.
helpful for locating manuscripts, archival materials , rare books in
microform, and other formats that can be difficult to find.
For older materials not in WorldCat, try its print counterparts, the
Union Catalog (located behind the card catalog) and the National
Union Catalog for Manuscript Collections (located in the Reference
- Search tips for WorldCat:
- Use the Advanced Search option to limit searches by date and/or format
- Leave out punctuation in subject heading searches (but not in title
- Similar to WorldCat, but includes different libraries, and offers
different search options.
Center for Research Libraries (CRL) Catalog
- The CRL is a repository for rare and obscure publications, especially
journals and newspapers. Materials usually arrive very
promptly through interlibrary
loan and can be kept for at least a month.
Short Title Catalog (ESTC)
Contains over 400,000 records for books and pamphlets published anywhere in
Britain or its colonies or in English anywhere from
1473 through the end of 18th century. The vast majority of 18th-century
materials found in
ESTC are readily available, either at IU Bloomington or through interlibrary loan.
Reference Works and Guides
- Bibliography of British history; the
eighteenth century, 1714-1789. Edited by Stanley Pargellis and D. J.
Medley. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1951.
(Main Library Reference Reading Room,
- Bibliography of British history, 1789-1851.
Edited by Lucy
M. Brown and Ian R. Christie.
Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1977. (Main Library Reference Reading Room,
- Bibliography of British history, 1851-1914. Compiled and
edited by H. J. Hanham.
Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1976. (Main Library Reference Reading Room,
- Catalogue of political and personal satires preserved in the
Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum.
London : Published for the Trustees of the British Museum by
British Museum Publications, 1978. (Main Library, Microforms, NE55.L7
- Dictionary of national biography.
London: Oxford University Press, [1949-1950]. (Main Library Reference
Reading Room, CT773 .D51. See Biographical
Research for more biographical sources.)
An encyclopaedia of parliament. Norman Wilding and Philip
Laundy. London: Cassell, 1972. (Main Library Reference Reading Room, JN555
Encyclopedia of romanticism : culture in Britain, 1780s-1830s.
Edited by Laura Dabundo.
New York: Garland Pub., 1992. (Main Library Reference Reading Room,
DA529 .E53 1992)
Spartacus Internet Encyclopedia: British History, 1700-1950
- Produced by the British
Virtual Teacher Centre.
Victorian Britain: an encyclopedia. Edited by Sally Mitchell.
New York: Garland Pub., 1988. (Main Library Reference Reading Room, DA550
The Victorian Web
- A web-based encyclopedia of the Victorian period, by George P.
Landow, Brown University
Voice of the Shuttle: History: U.K.
- A web guide, by Alan Liu, University of
California, Santa Barbara.
- III. Electronic Indexes
- Internet Library of Early
- Digitized page images and searchable full text of 6 key British journals
from the 18th and 19th centuries. (Primary sources; citations and full text)
Periodicals Contents Index (PCI)
Searchable index of nearly 2,500 scholarly journals in the humanities and
social sciences, from their first issues (the earliest is 1780) through
1990/1991. It includes an entry for each article or book review appearing
on the table of contents page of each issue. (Primary and secondary
sources; citations only)
- Electronic version of
William Frederick Poole's Index to Periodical
Literature. Very little overlap with PCI: publications covered are
generally less academic, more popular in nature. (Primary sources; citations
- Historical Newspapers Online
- Electronic index to the New York Times, 1851-1923 and the London
Times, 1790-1945. (Primary sources; citations only)
- Historical Abstracts
- Index to articles from about
2,000 journals; includes some books and dissertations.
(Secondary sources; citations and 75-100 word abstracts)
- A journal-digitizing project that contains searchable fulltext from
important scholarly journals in history
from their first issues to the early 90s. (Mostly secondary
sources; citations and full text)
- IU Bloomington Libraries'
- Other electronic indexes of possible interest include
Database and MLA Bibliography
(language and literature).
- IV. Texts on the
Locating Online Fulltext Journals and Newspapers
- A searchable list
of all the electronic journals subscribed to by the IU Libraries
Electronic Texts from the WWW Virtual Library: History
- Links to collections of digitized primary sources.
The Complete Works of Jane Austen
- Works of 30 major 18th-century writers
English Poetry Database
- Searchable database of over 165,920 poems, up to ca. 1900.
English Verse Drama, 1500-1900
Past Master's British Philosophers
- Works of Hume, Locke, Mill and others
Victorian Women Writers
- Anthologies, novels, political pamphlets, and volumes of poetry and
verse drama by British women.