Library Resources for American Diplomatic History
Reader's Guide to Periodical Literature (1900-present)
- Complete index of 150-200 most widely circulated American
periodicals. Entries are alphabetical by subject.
(Primary and secondary sources; citations only;
all or most of the sources
are available in the IU Libraries. Reader's Guide is shelved
across from Reference Desk, AI3 .R21).
York Times Index
- This is the only index of the New York Times for 1922-1969.
(Primary and secondary
sources; citations only. Shelved across from the Reference Desk. Text is
available in the Microforms Room on the ground floor).
Facts on File
- Week-by-week record of news events. Helpful in establishing exact
chronology of events, finding key people to research, etc. (Full text of
brief articles. Shelved next to New York Times Index.
Periodical Contents Index
- One of the few electronic tools helpful in locating historical
material. Covers nearly 2,500 scholarly journals in the humanities
social sciences, from their first issues (the earliest is 1780)
1990/1991. It includes an entry for each article or book review
on the table of contents page of each issue. (Primary and secondary
sources; citations only.)
America: History and Life
Indexes about 2,000 scholarly journals devoted to American history.
(Secondary sources; citations and abstracts.)
- A journal-digitizing project containing searchable fulltext from
twenty important scholarly journals in history (such as the American
Historical Review) from their first issues to the early 90s. (Primary
and secondary sources; full text.)
- Interdisciplinary database containing references to articles more
than 3000 magazines and journals. Coverage goes back only to 1989.
(Mostly secondary sources; full text for 1000 journals, with citations and
abstracts for the rest. Interactive
- Indexing and full text of news media, including some
radio transcripts. Coverage varies, but no full text before 1980 (most
publications only go back to mid 1990s).
Dow Jones Interactive
- Similar to Lexis-Nexis. Interface is slightly more user-friendly.
- Provides indexing of congressional publications and
some full-text of reports, bills and
resolutions, and laws. Coverage goes back to 1968.
(Primary and secondary sources; citations and some full text. For
more in-depth sources for government publications, see Government Publications
Documents Reference System, U.S
- Searchable collection of more than 70,000 declassified documents from
presidential libraries. Includes both page images and text.