Primary Sources for Women's Movements in the U.S.
- Indiana University Libraries' catalog. Contains records for 85% of
Libraries' collections. Remember to check the card catalog for materials
published before 1976, if they are not listed in IUCAT.
- Useful subject headings:
- women--suffrage--united states--history
- womens rights--united states--history
- equal rights amendments--united states
Cline, Cheryl. Women's diaries, journals, and letters : an annotated
bibliography. New York : Garland Pub., 1989. (Reference Room,
Goodfriend, Joyce D.
The published diaries and letters of American women : an annotated
bibliography. Boston, Mass. : G.K. Hall, c1987. (Reference Room,
American diaries : an annotated bibliography of published American
diaries and journals. Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research, c1983-c1987.
(Reference Room, Z5305.U5A74 1983).
Magazine and Newspaper Articles
19th Century Reader's Guide (1890-1899)
Reader's Guide to Periodical Literature (1900-present)
- Complete index of 150-200 most widely circulated American
periodicals. (Citations only; all or most of the
are available in the IU Libraries. Reader's Guide is shelved
across from Reference Desk, AI3 .R21).
- Entries are alphabetical by subject. Look under:
- Woman Suffrage
- Woman--Rights of Women
- Woman--Equal Rights
- United States--Constitution--Amendments
Periodicals Contents Index (PCI)
Searchable index of nearly 2,500 scholarly journals in the humanities and
social sciences, from their first issues (the earliest is 1780) through
(Citations only; all or most of the sources are available in
the IU Libraries.)
- Useful search terms include:
- woman suffrage
- women's liberation
- Electronic index to the New York Times, 1851-1923 and the London
Times, 1790-1945. (Citations only; text is available in Microforms,
AN2.N5 T5 and AN4.L8 T5)
- III. Microfilm Collections
History of Women
- Filmed from the holdings of the foremost U.S. women's history
collection, the Schlesinger
Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe College.
- Collection is cataloged in IUCAT. Sample search within
collection in IUCAT:
k=(history women.ti.) and families
Papers of the Women's Trade Union League and its principal
- Official records, letters, newspaper clippings, leaflets, scrapbooks,
diaries, etc. Guide to the collection includes detailed biographical
information on early 19th-century women activists. (Microforms, HD6079.2
.U5 P37 1979).
- Newspapers, journals and newsletters by and about women and
women's organizations, published primarily between 1969 and
1971, from the collections of the Women's History Research
Center, Berkeley. (Microforms, HQ27).
women's organizations. Women's suffrage in
- Records of the Wisconsin Woman Suffrage Association, 1816-1952
(Microforms, JK1911.W5 G73 1989).
- IV. Texts and Images on the
Making of America
- A digital library of primary sources in American social history from
the antebellum period through reconstruction.
approximately 1,600 books and 50,000 journal articles with
19th century imprints. From the University of Michigan and Cornell
Votes for Women:
Selections from the National American Woman Suffrage Association
- From the Library of Congress. Provides fulltext and page images of a
Women: Suffrage Pictures, 1850-1920
Women and Social Movements in
the United States, 1775-2000
Primary sources grouped around specific topics in U.S. women's history. Full
but no page images. (Many of the original documents are available in the History of Women microfilm collection, above).
Internet Women's History Sourcebook
- Collection of resources from various sites, such as
Suffragists Oral History Project from Berkeley.
Museum of Women's History
- See "Featured Exhibit" for images of events, publications, buttons,