Slavic &
  East
  European
  Section
      Section Information
What Is SEES
SEES Committees
SEES Officers
Annual Newsletter

      Conference Information
SEES Programs
Conference Minutes
Conference Schedule

      Other Information
Internet Links

Automated Bibliographic Control Committee
Minutes
January 16, 2010



  • Welcome and introductions: Patricia Thurston (observer, Yale), Jon Giullian (observer/visitor, Kansas), Tatyana Chubaryan (Texas A&M), Larisa Walsh (Chicago), Kirill Tolpygo (UNC at Chapel Hill), Sandra Levy (Chicago), Heghine Hakobyan (Oregon)

  • Minutes: Minutes from the ALA in Chicago 2009 are approved.

  • RDA: Larisa gave updates on Resource Description and Access (RDA) which will be published in June 2010. The RDA team is currently incorporating revisions and making sure that the software is interchangeable in order to put it into operation in June 2010. Twenty-six RDA testing partner-libraries have been selected, including the University of Chicago.

    Patricia: I don't know if Yale has been selected or not.

    Larisa: Some preparation of software, toolkit, various files, etc. is required before the test implementation starts. The test will last for about a year or nine months:

    • three months for introducing the software to the testing partners
    • three months for preparing records according to the AACR2 and RDA rules, and sending them to the Library of Congress to be stored locally for future review
    • three months will be spent to analyze, share, and decide what to do.

    Core set of resources will be cataloged twice by two people. There are also regular materials selected for the RDA testing. Each RDA testing partner will catalog the same set of monographs, audio-visual materials, serials and integrating resources. Each resource will be described twice: first, according to currently existing cataloging rules, such as AACR2, AMIM and others, and secondly, according to the newly developed RDA.

    Patricia: At yesterday's RDA testing meeting they tried to explain what they meant by regular material, common BIBCO and NACO. LC seemed to be vague about testing."

    Larisa: LC will conduct a workshop bringing together 50 people: 26 LC catalogers and other specialists from LC's divisions of Maps, Special materials and other formats. After training and evaluating the records created by the test partners, LC will decide whether they are going to implement the RDA or not by the end of 2010.

    Larisa: We'll see what happens when they release it in June.

  • Update on the PCC Task Force on Non-Latin Script Cataloging Documentation: The PCC Task Force (Diana Brooking is in the TF) was charged with providing cataloging guidelines applicable to all non-Latin scripts/languages to be used for PCC bibliographic records. Last September the PCC TF on Non-Latin produced their first draft. We sent our comments and observations to the chair. One of the controversial items was whether to provide the qualifiers in vernacular language in the parallel field instead of leaving them in Latin script. The other controversial issue that was discussed was whether to provide non-Latin data for headings only as cross-references in authority records, and not in the bibliographic records.

    The final report should be coming out in March 2010. It gives us more time to work with Task Force and provide better guidelines for Non-Latin fields.

  • Update on the ALCTS Non-English Access Working Group: ALCTS working group on Romanization is considering two models: Model A with provision of the vernacular and romanized parallel fields in the bibliographic records, and Model B providing information only in vernacular script. The Working Group concluded that implementation of the Model B is premature at this point, and that it requires further research. The Working Group makes a suggestion for different language communities to gradually move to Model B if there is a need. The Working Group will submit its final report in May 2010.

    Larisa: How about our Cyrillic community? Should we start moving to Model B?

    Patricia: At Yale we find that Romanization is much needed by acquisition people, student community, scholars and many others.

    Tatyana: What is the definition of Romanization? If the Romanization of Library of Congress is a rule for us, then it is completely different Romanization for a German publisher, for example.

    Sandra: There are many different Romanization systems within the United States.

    Patricia: We should establish the Russian name using the LC Romanization table, and create a reference to the name in a variant Romanization if it appears on title page.

  • Report on the newly formed ABC SEES Task Force on reviewing the Slavic Cataloging Manual's "Pre-Revolutionary Russian" section: The suggestion to review and create improvements in the Slavic Cataloging Manual for publications in pre-revolutionary Russian has been made by Michael Herrick, Holy Trinity Seminary Library, and Kirill Tolpygo, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Michael and Kirill approached the ABC Committee with a suggestion to review Slavic Cataloging Manual guidelines on transliterating Church Slavic language and providing access to materials in Slavic languages from regions where orthographic reform took place. The ABC Committee called for volunteers to participate in this project. Task Force will have its first meeting at 6.30 p.m.

    Task Force members are:

    • Michael Herrick (Holy Trinity Seminary, Jordanville, N.Y.)
    • Larisa Walsh (University of Chicago)
    • Kirill Tolpygo (University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill)
    • Barbara L. Dash (Library of Congress)
    • Walter Iwaskiw (Library of Congress)
    • Geoff Husic (University of Kansas)
    • Heghine Hakobyan (University of Oregon)
    • Jackie Byrd (University of Indiana, Slavic Cataloging Manual, editor)
    • Tatyana Chubaryan (Texas A&M University)
    • Walter Slater (University of Michigan)

    The Task Force will complete its work by May 1st for consideration by the Automation and Bibliographic Control Committee.

  • ABC SEES website -- new host, new editor, new content: SEES ABC website is separate from all the sections. We recently discovered that the website had broken links and needed updates. Inna Gudanets from Stanford University helped to find the zip files of the ABC web pages after Kim Soobum, the ABC Committee previous webmaster, left Stanford. Brenda Carter from University of Pittsburgh agreed to recover the zip files and update our website. Brenda is our new webmaster. Does ABC section of SEES really need its own web presence, or can we simply incorporate our info (membership, documents, etc.) into the general SEES webpages?

    Sandra: We decided long ago to have a main page for SEES and separate web pages for committees. It's a good idea to continue maintenance of the ABC webpage. Maybe other Committees should start developing and maintaining their own web pages.

    The ABC Committee members think that it is good to have a webpage.

    Larisa: While restoring the ABC web pages Diana Brooking and I looked through the documentation and content. The question is how we can improve. Activities links need updating: archives and 1 new page with most current activities.

    Sandra: In order to search a message in Slavlibs, you need an IP address to establish with Alan Urbanic. There is no password, but without the IP address any message bounces back. I think the Slavlibs search mechanism has the same protocol.

    Larisa: Diana Brooking asked me to find out about your experience of tracing series, if there is some extra time. Diana was curious how the LC's policy of not providing series authority control affected libraries nationwide. Diana does a lot of series authority work retrospectively at the University of Washington. She wants to know from the catalogers if they do series authority work retrospectively. Do you create more series because you see more untraced series? Does it take a lot of time?

    Heghine: We create new series records for untraced ones only when we are either enhancing or creating an original record. It's not very time consuming.

    Tatyana: At Texas A&M, whenever you touch a record with an untraced series, a message will pop-up and warn you that you need to work on the series record.

    Larisa: Copy catalogers of my institution provide series authority record if it exists. If the series is not established, the copy cataloger will pass it to a specialized cataloger to create a series record.

    Patricia: We don't have a policy that we have to establish series records.

  • News on membership: We have 2 new members who volunteered recently - Marek Sroka from the University of Illinois and Kirill Tolpygo from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Last updated March 5, 2010