Slavic &
  East
  European
  Section
      Section Information
What Is SEES
SEES Committees
SEES Officers
Annual Newsletter

      Conference Information
SEES Programs
Conference Minutes
Conference Schedule

      Other Information
Internet Links

Executive Committee
Minutes
January 16, 2010



  • Present: Larisa Walsh (Chicago), Kirill Tolpygo (UNC at Chapel Hill), Terri Miller (MSU), Brad Schaffner (Harvard), Sandra Levy (Chicago), Jon Giullian (Kansas), Adam Burling (ACRL), Cathy Zeljak (George Washington), Heghine Hakobyan (Oregon)

  • Welcome, Introductions, and Announcement: (Jon Giullian and Sandra Levy). As I learn what to do in this position, I've managed to correct room assignments. Please take a look at the agenda and let me know if there is anything you'd like me to change. I will put the agendas on ALA Connect. Put a link from there to Jackie's page of the minutes.

  • Minutes: Minutes from 2009 ALA Annual in Chicago are approved.

  • SEES membership news (Jon Giullian and Sandra Levy): Current SEES membership at the end of 2009 was 185, a 5% decline from 2008. ACRL general membership dropped by 6 % in 2009. There is a good deal of turnover among SEES membership. Although a larger number of members than usual has did not renew their SEES membership, there was an influx of new members in the Section. This is encouraging. Over the past year we have appended a few brief survey questions to the letters sent out to new, renewed, and departing members of the section. The purpose of this form is to help SEES leadership understand members' interest in SEES, willingness to serve, and reasons for joining/dropping, etc. We hope that this information will be useful in recruitment and retention of members. Comments from the ongoing survey will be presented during SEES meetings at the 2010 ALA Annual Conference in June. SEES officers have also been sending out letters of introduction / information to new members of the Slavlibs listserv. Reaching out to new and potential members is extremely important and essential to the life of SEES. Copies of the letters and surveys should be sent to ACRL for their files. The letters and forms are posted on Google documents, where they can be viewed and edited as needed.

  • ACRL news (Jon Giullian and Sandra Levy):

    • The 2011 ACRL National Conference will take place March 30-April 2 in Philadelphia, PA. The theme is "A Declaration of Interdependence."
    • ACRL leadership reported ACRL Strategic Plan Achievements for 2004-2009. The document is posted on ALA Connect under the ACRL group. The list of achievements is impressive. The ACRL strategic plan for 2010-2013 is in the final stages of preparation. ACRL leadership requested feedback from representatives of Divisional Committees and the Communities of Practice Assembly (Sections Council) who attended Leadership Council. They also sought feedback on the 2010-2013 ALA strategic goals.
    • The ACRL Communities of Practice Assembly has eliminated the Action Plan program. Action Plans approved through 2011 will be funded. Future proposals for new projects should be submitted to the ACRL Board according to the deadline schedule. The Friends of ACRL also currently has funds available. No funds were disbursed in 2009 because no proposals were received. Part of the problem was the lack of promotion. In the future, the Friends of ACRL will send out a call for proposals several times a year with several deadlines for proposals.
    • ACRL is looking at different ways of assigning funds to Communities of Practice. The purpose is not to reduce the amount of money each Section receives, but to explore different models that might be more efficient. One possible model might include a base amount of funds for every section with an additional amount per member of the section.
    • The discussion about face to face vs. virtual meetings continues. The number of virtual meetings among sections is increasing. In one Section, only the executive committee meets face to face; all other committee meetings are held virtually. Sections asked the leadership to explore the possibility of live + virtual meetings, but at present the cost of internet access for all meetings is prohibitive. Internet access is available in the conference center. Requests for meeting locations in the conference center are not guaranteed. Some sections have used cell phones and internet connection to enable members to attend meetings virtually, but the cell phone speaker does not work very well.
    • Contact ACRL if you want to recommend nominees for ACRL president and ACRL Academic Librarian of the Year Award.
    • The interest group on diversity welcomes opportunities to work with all sections in order to promote a more diverse community within ACRL.

  • SEES Committee Reports:

    • Access and Preservation Committee (Brad Schaffner): We had a full house and a good discussion. Several guests outside of Slavic and East European Studies attended, providing new ideas and perspectives. We agreed to try to do another mini-presentation at ALA Annual and will invite someone from the Yale Press to talk about their Stalin archives project. If this doesn't work, we may see if Grant Harris could talk about the Yeltsin Presidential Library project. It was agreed that the committee would explore the possibility of working with the B&D Committee of AAASS on a project to track Slavic digital projects. A representative from the US GPO offered suggestions on how to use open access software to allow people to add and maintain their own materials. Patricia Thurston agreed to take the lead on this. The committee will also consider adding more content to its portion of the SEES web page. The Access and Preservation Committee welcomes new members.
    • Automated Bibliographic Control (Larisa Walsh): ABC met in a very cold room at 1:30 p.m. There was a lively discussion in spite of small numbers. We discussed the RDA and its testing time-line for 2010. We talked about the current work of two task forces. The first is working on cataloging guidelines for Non-Latin materials and Romanization. Last October the ABC committee sent recommendations to the PCC Task Force on Non-Latin Cataloging for their consideration. The Cyrillic section was somewhat underdeveloped, so we hope they will consider our suggestions on how to solve the controversial issues. We did not send recommendations to the Non-English Access Working Group on Romanization. The Working Group states that Model B with no Romanization is still pre-mature, though different language communities can consider moving towards Model B. The second task force is charged with revising the Slavic Cataloging Manual (SCM), specifically to review guidelines for the cataloging of materials published in pre-revolutionary Russian and or Church Slavic orthography. SCM TF will study and introduce their findings by May 2010. The ABC also has a new web master, Brenda Carter, from the University of Pittsburgh. New content is up and running. We also discussed how to improve several pages.
    • Newsletter Committee (Terri Miller): The committee met virtually using DimDim software, the subscription to which was provided by ACRL. The virtual meeting was well attended and went smoothly with one exception; we did not get the transcript of the meeting. We discussed the forthcoming 2010 issue, the last paper issue of the newsletter. The new bibliography will be prepared at Penn State by Jason Reuscher. This seems to be an ideal time to transition to electronic format, given the departure of several members of the committee, including Kay Simenna, Tatiana bar, Sandra Levy, Alan Urbanic and Terri Miller. Many thanks for their tireless efforts over many years to make the newsletter a success. Anna, Shparburg, Jean Dickenson, Jason Reuscher, and Heghine Hakobyan cannot take over the whole operation. Terri Miller will send an announcement on Slavlibs that SEES Newsletter Committee is looking for new members and a new editor. Call for newsletter editor should mention that we are converting to e-format. This will be easier, and it will cut down a chunk of work. Because Terri will not be able to attend the annual meeting, Sandra Levy has agreed to chair the committee's annual meeting. Until a new editor is found, Larisa Walsh offered to do some technical editing. Each person assigned to a section is responsible only for editing. Only the "Transitions" section required original writing. Discussion included questions about ACRL archives of section newsletters. Current practice is to archive ACRL print formats at the University of Illinois, e-newsletters are kept by ACRL. Mary Ellen Davis, ACRL will develop a long-term plan for archiving ACRL newsletters and creating an e-repository.
    • SEES-WESS ad-hoc Committee on Proposed Merger (Terri Miller): The Committee met on Saturday morning at 8:00 am and discussed the pros and cons of a potential merger. Minutes are posted on ALA Connect. Rather than attempt a wholesale merger of the two sections, the committee recommended cooperation on a small scale, such as a joint program committee for the 2012 Annual program. It was also recommended that the committee begin drafting a survey to be sent to SEES and WESS membership. These recommendations were reported to both SEES and WESS Executive Committees. During ensuing discussion in the SEES Executive Committee meeting, several questions emerged. While some thought that a joint committee could be more successful meeting virtually, others were concerned that a joint program planning committee needs to meet in person to discuss, mesh and come up with a program that will be of interest to a broad audience. There was also a question as to whether in subsequent years the program planning committee would always be a joint committee; or whether SEES and WESS would be able to do separate programs if desirable. The SEES Executive Committee authorized the committee to work together virtually to create a survey regarding cooperation between SEES and WESS. Upon completion, the survey will then need to be reviewed by both executive committees before being sent on to the ACRL representative responsible checking the validity of survey questions. The final survey must then be reviewed and approved by both executive committees before being distributed to SEES and WESS members.


  • SEES 2009-2010 Action Plan Report (Jon Giullian): In 2009 SEES cooperated with the AAASS B&D committee to sponsor a joint roundtable discussion on "Librarianship as Career Path for Scholars in Slavic and Eurasian Studies." The roundtable consisted of five panelists with a wide range of responsibilities and duties. Forty people attended. The purpose of the roundtable was to each graduate students and graduate student advisors in an effort to promote librarianship among the emerging cadre of Slavic and Eurasian studies specialist. Unfortunately only 3 grad students attended. The low turnout could have been the result of a lackluster promotion. But also AAASS is a busy conference, which does not draw grad students. The discussion was lively. We asked for feedback and put together an online participant survey that was distributed a month later. A summary of responses was passed out at the SEES Executive Committee meeting. Each student who attended the roundtable found the discussion very useful. We were supposed to do environmental scan and collect data to be presented at the roundtable, but this was not done. The Environmental scan will be conducted post-roundtable. The plan also called for results to be submitted to SEEIR for publication as a special column. Participants have agreed to write a summary of their comments. Notes from the roundtable will also be used to provide a general summary of the session. . There was a proposal to organize similar panels at conferences geared toward graduate students, such as the Midwest and Central Slavic Conferences.

  • SEES 2010 Program (Jon Giullian): At the 2010 ALA Annual Conference in Washington, D.C. SEES will present a program entitled, "Area Studies Librarianship, Globalization and Interdisciplinary Studies in Today's and Tomorrow's Academic and Research Libraries." The program will take place on June 27, from 4:00 -5.30 p.m. Organized by Brad Schaffner and Jon Giullian, this program builds on a similar a program presented in 1998 also in Washington, D.C. and features the same speakers who presented twelve years ago, including: Maria Carlson (Kansas), Dan Hazen (Harvard), and James Neal (Columbia). The program will be chaired by Jon Giullian and moderated by Beverly Lynch. A special thanks to Brad Schaffner for his efforts in planning this program and recruiting our esteemed program participants, both in 1998 and 2010.

Last updated March 5, 2010