Students entering the graduate degree program must have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
Application Materials (Required)
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) – scores are good for up to 5 years
- TOEFL exam (International students) – Passing score of 92 IBT (580 paper-based) or 7.0 on the IELTS
- Official transcript(s) listing grades in each course taken at accredited institutions of higher learning
- THREE (3) letters of recommendation
- 300-700 word STATEMENT OF PURPOSE. This should provide a thoughtful, informative statement detailing your reasons for wishing to pursue a graduate degree in the Department of Linguistics and the direction of study you intend to pursue.
You can send requests for letters of recommendation to your recommenders through the online application, or you can provide your references with this paper recommendation form (http://www.indiana.edu/~grdschl/doc/shared/iu-rec.pdf). Letters of recommendation and the statement of purpose can be submitted as attachments in the online application or mailed to the department. Writing samples are NOT required as part of the application process.
The application forms and information on the application process are available at http://www.indiana.edu/~grdschl/admissions/apply.shtml.