Week 6 Reading Guide: Marriage and Nineteenth Century U.S. History
- Identify an intriguing person, event or source from three of the
assigned chapters, and take notes on the following questions for each item:
- Why does it interest you? What more would you like to know about
- Why does Cott include it in her book? How does it pertain to the
arguments she is making in the relevant chapter and in the book as a
- Collect and write down any information you can find in Cott that
might help you track down this source. Where would you look for it next?
- Identify two major changes in ideas or policies concerning
marriage in nineteenth century America. What does Cott say about when
and why these occurred?