Resources and Links
The library’s electronic reserve [ER] system can be accessed using the password “divorce.”
Other material can be found through links within the schedule located on the course website.
The following required texts are available for purchase at the IU Bookstore. They can also be obtained easily and cheaply from other retailers.
- Nancy F. Cott. Public Vows: A History of Marriage and the Nation. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Harvard University Press, 2000.
- Hannah Webster Foster and Cathy N. Davidson. The Coquette. New York: Oxford University Press, 1986.
- Renee Romano, Race Mixing: Black-White Marriage in Postwar America. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Harvard University Press, 2003.
- Carole Shammas. A History of Household Government in America. Charlottesville: The University Press of Virginia, 2002.
- Short Assignments 2010
- Research Paper 2010
- Instructions for Posting to OnCourse
- Self-evaluation Form
- Evaluation Standards
Research & Writing Tools
Working with Sources
- Primary and Secondary Sources explained on the J300/J400 Resource Page
- Notetaking Guide, for Marriage & Nation Assignments
For more advice on working primary sources, please see:
- Strategies for interpreting primary sources by Prof. Konstantin Dierks
- "History Toolkit" at dohistory.org
- Introduction to reading primary sources, University of North Carolina School of Education