Dawn M. Bravata, MD
Associate Professor of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine
Research Scientist, Indiana University Center for Health Services and Outcomes Research
Research Scientist, Center for Health Services Research, Regenstrief Institute, Inc.
Core Investigator, VA HSR&D Center of Excellence on Implementing Evidence-Based Practice
Clinical Coordinator, VA HSR&D Stroke Quality Enhancement Research Initiative
Dr. Bravata is a practicing general internist and a health services researcher in the field of cerebrovascular disease who joined the IU Center for Health Services and Outcomes Research and Regenstrief Institute in 2007. She currently conducts cohort projects and clinical trials that are funded by both the Veterans Health Administration (VHA) and National Institutes of Medicine (NIH). The fundamental goal of her research is to improve the quality of care for patients with cerebrovascular disease. Dr. Bravata is interested in three topics within this larger domain: the quality of care received by patients with stroke and transient ischemic attack (TIA), the evaluation and implementation of therapeutic interventions for patients with acute ischemic stroke and TIA, and the prevention of stroke and TIA. She recently served as Chair of the Stroke Council's Quality of Outcome Committee for the American Heart Association; this committee proposed the first outcome measures for the national evaluation of facility-level stroke care quality.
Dr. Bravata serves as the clinical coordinator of the Stroke Quality Research Enhancement Initiative (QUERI). The Stroke QUERI is a national group of investigators conducting research that seeks to identify gaps in care quality, develop new interventions to improve care, and evaluate the implementation of those interventions across the VHA system. The Stroke QUERI currently has 30 active funded research projects (16 with full or partial funding locally) representing approximately $3M in local annual funding, addressing a range of quality issues focused around our three goals: improving inpatient stroke care (the portfolio that I actively manage), stroke risk factor management, and VA stroke policy decisions. She leads the stroke risk factor management component of the Stroke QUERI research portfolio.
Dr. Bravata is board certified in Internal Medicine and serves as an attending internist in the Richard L. Roudebush VA Medical Center.
HOSPITALS & AFFILIATIONS
|Richard L. Roudebush VA Medical Center|
|School of Medicine||University of California-San Diego, School of Medicine|
|Residency||Yale School of Medicine|
|Fellowship||Yale School of Medicine|
I. VA QUERI STR 04/01/2004 - 09/30/2013
"Stroke Quality Enhancement Research Initiative (QUERI) Center" (PI: Linda Williams)
The mission of the Stroke QUERI is to improve care and outcomes for veterans at risk of ischemic stroke and those who have sustained an ischemic stroke.
II. NIH 10/01/2010 - 10/31/2013
"Sleep Apnea in TIA Reducing Vascular Risk with AutoPAP (SLEEP TIGHT)" (PI: Karl Yaggi; Site-PI: Bravata)
To test the safety and efficacy of long-term positive airway pressure (PAP) therapy among patients with transient neurological symptoms.
III. VA QUERI RRP 08/01/2010 - 01/31/2012
"Management and Outcomes of Veterans with Transient Ischemic Attack" (PI: Eric Cheng; Site-PI: Bravata)
To examine the appropriateness of TIA management in the VA system.
|Selected Publications|||||Go To PubMed List >>|
- Chumbler NR, Williams LS, Wells CK, Lo AC, Nadeau S, Peixoto AJ, Gorman M, Boice JL, Concato J, Bravata DM. “Derivation and Validation of a Clinical System for Predicting Pneumonia in Acute Stroke.” Neuroepidemiology. 2010;34:193-199.
- Lo AC, Guarino PD, Richards LG, Haselkorn JK, Wittenberg GF, Federman DG, Ringer RJ, Wagner TH, Krebs HI, Volpe BT, Bever CT, Bravata DM, Duncan PW, Corn BH, Maffucc AD, Nadeau SE, Conroy SS, Powell JM, Huang GD, Peduzzi P. “Robot-Assisted Rehabilitation for Upper Extremity Impairment in Chronic Stroke.” New England Journal of Medicine. 2010; 362(19):1772-1783.
- Bravata DM, Wells CK, Lo AC, Nadeau SE, Melillo J, Chodkowski DL, Struve FA, Williams LS, Peixoto AJ, Gorman M, Goel P, Acompora G, McClain V, Ranjbar N, Tabereaux PB, Boice JL, Jacewicz M, Brass LM, Concato J. “Processes of Care Associated with Acute Stroke Outcomes.” Archives of Internal Medicine. 2010;170(9):804-810.
- Kernan WN, Viscoli CM, DeMarco D, Mendes B, Shrauger K, Schindler JL, McVeety JC, Sicklick A, Moalli D, Greco P, Bravata DM, Eisen S, Resor L, Sena K, Story D, Brass LM, Furie KL, Gutmann L, Hinnau B, Gorman M, Lovejoy AM, Inzucchi SE, Young LH, Horwitz RI. IRIS Trial Investigators. “Boosting Enrollment in Neurology Trials with Local Identification and Outreach Networks (LIONS).” Neurology. 2009; 72 (15):1345-1351.
- Ross JS, Halm EA, Bravata DM. “Use of Stroke Secondary Prevention Services: Are there disparities in care?” Stroke. 2009;40 (5):1811-1819.
- Tabereaux PB, Brass LM, Concato J, Bravata DM. “Hospital Admissions for Stroke Among the Very Old in the United States.” Neuroepidemiology. 2008;31(2):93-99.
- Dallas MI, Rone-Adams S, Echternach JL, Brass LM, Bravata DM. “Dependence in Pre-Stroke Mobility Predicts Adverse Outcomes Among Patients with Acute Ischemic Stroke.” Stroke. 2008;39(8):2298-2303.
- Bravata DM, Ho SY, Meehan TP, Brass LM, Concato J. “Readmission and Death after Hospitalization for Acute Ischemic Stroke: 5-Year Follow-up in the Medicare Population.” Stroke. 2007;38(6):1899-1904.
- Bravata DM, Wells C, Brass LM, Concato J, Gulanski B. “Racial Disparities in Stroke Risk Factors” Stroke. 2005;36:1507-1511.
- Bravata DM, Ho SY, Brass LM, Concato J, Scinto J, Meehan TP. “Long-Term Mortality Among Acute Ischemic Stroke Survivors.” Stroke. 2003;34(3):699-704.