Dustin D. French, PhD
Assistant Research Professor of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine
Research Scientist, Indiana University Center for Health Services and Outcomes Research
Research Scientist, Center for Health Services Research, Regenstrief Institute, Inc.
Core Investigator, VA HSR&D Center of Excellence on Implementing Evidence-Based Practice
Dr. French is an appointed research scientist with the IU Center for Health Services and Outcomes Research and Regenstrief Institute, Inc. He is a core investigator in the VA HSR&D Center of Excellence on Implementing Evidence-Based Practice (CIEBP). An expert health economist, and Dr. French's research is focused on the use of comparative effectiveness and cost effectiveness techniques for clinical translation. He has extensive experience in medication safety and text mining and has worked with some of the largest health care data sets in the United States in the Department of Veterans Affairs to examine safety and efficacy of medications.
Dr. French joined the IU School of Medicine, Regenstrief Institute, and VA HSR&D in 2008, after spending seven years working in the Veterans Integrated Service Network (VISN) 8 Patient Safety Center of Inquiry in the James A. Haley Veterans’ Hospital in Tampa, FL and VISN-8 Headquarters at Bay Pines. Prior to that he was a consultant for Nationwide Insurance World Headquarters in Columbus, OH. Currently, he is PI on studies examining access to care and costs. He also is a co-investigator for the Indianapolis site for the VA Consortium for Healthcare Informatics Research.
I. VA HSR&D 01/01/2011 - 12/31/2011
"Demand, Cost, and Access of Radiotherapy in VA, Fee, & Non-VA Facilities" (PI)
The mission of this grant is to improve access and assess costs and utilization.
II. VA HSR&D 04/01/2009 - 03/31/2013
"Consortium for Healthcare Informatics Research" (PI: Brad Doebbeling)
This project is focused around four specific aims: 1) develop, review and refine an ontology for clinically- and epidemiologically-relevant concepts to enable detection of MRSA for reporting purposes and gather requirements for developing a MRSA surveillance and reporting tool; 2) index MRSA-related concepts in clinical narrative; 3) clinical inference and analysis of MRSA-related information contained in the medical record; 4) develop and evaluate a prototype surveillance application that uses automatically processed VA electronic health record data. Role: Co-Principle Investigator.
III. VA HSR&D 07/01/2008 - 06/30/2011
"Using Data Mining Strategies to Identify Fall Related Injuries" (PI: Luther)
The goal of this project is to determine the usefulness of KDD strategies to explore the VHA databases to better identify veterans who sustain injurious falls and in predicting injurious falls. The immediate objectives of this two-year retrospective cross-sectional study are to: 1) Create a benchmark dataset on which KDD analyses will be conducted; 2) Compare the ability of KDD techniques (regular expression-based pattern matching and text mining) to identify FRAE with three types of data (text-based notes alone, text-based notes plus information from administrative data, and text-based notes plus information from chart review) using area under the receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curve analyses; 3) Test the generalizeabilty of the results from VISN8 in data from other VAMCs; and 4) Apply the KDD method found to be most highly predictive in Objective 2 to identify mechanism and place of injury associated with FRAE. Role: Co-Investigator.
|Selected Publications|||||Go To PubMed List >>|
- French DD, Margo CE. Open angle glaucoma and stroke. Ophthalmology. 2010 Aug;117(8):1653.e3-4.
- French DD, Bass E, Bradham DD, Campbell RR Rubenstein LZ. Rehospitalization After Hip Fracture: Predictors and Prognosis from a National Veterans Study. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2008 Apr;56(4):705-10.
- Bass E, French DD, Bradham DD. A national perspective of Medicare expenditures for elderly veterans with hip fractures. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2008 Feb;9(2):114-9.
- French DD, Campbell RR, Margo CE. Long-stay nursing home residents' hospitalizations in the VHA: the potential impact of aligning financial incentives on hospitalizations. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2008 Sep;9(7):499-503.
- French DD, Campbell RR, Rubenstein LZ, Spehar AM. Acquisition Costs and Use of Medicare Part D-Excluded Drugs in Veterans Health Administration Long-Stay Nursing Home Residents: A National, Descriptive, Secondary Data Analysis. Drugs Aging. 2008;25(10):855-60.
- French DD, Margo CE. Post-marketing surveillance of ischaemic optic neuropathy in male veterans co-prescribed phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitors with organic nitrates or alpha-blockers Drug Saf. 2008;31(3):241-7.
- French DD, Siddharthan K, Bass E. Benchmark data on the utilization and acquisition costs of central nervous system and muscular skeletal drugs among veterans with combat-related injuries. Mil Med. 2008 Jul;173(7):626-8.
- French DD, Campbell R, Spehar A, Rubenstein LZ, Branch LG, Cunningham F. National outpatient medication profiling: medications associated with outpatient fractures in community-dwelling elderly veterans. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2007 Feb;63(2):238-44
- French DD, Werner DC, Campbell RR, Powell-Cope GM, Nelson AL, Rubenstein LZ, Bulat T, Spehar AM.A multivariate fall risk assessment model for VHA nursing homes using the minimum data set. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2007 Feb;8(2):115-22.
- French DD, Campbell RR, Spehar AM, Accomando J. How well do psychotropic medications match mental health diagnoses? A national view of potential off-label prescribing in VHA nursing homes. Age Ageing. 2007 Jan;36(1):107-8.
- French DD, Campbell RR, Powell-Cope GM. A National View of Injuries in VHA Nursing Homes. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2007 Oct;8(8):547-8.