Kurt Kroenke, MD
Professor of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine
Research Scientist, Indiana University Center for Health Services and Outcomes Research
Research Scientist, Center for Health Services Research, Regenstrief Institute, Inc.
Director of Fellowship and Training Programs, Regenstrief Institute, Inc.
Core Investigator, VA HSR&D Center of Excellence on Implementing Evidence-Based Practice
Dr. Kroenke is a Professor of Medicine in the Indiana University School of Medicine and Director of Fellowships and Training for Regenstrief Institute, Inc. As a research scientist, he pursues his principal research interests in physical and psychological symptoms, including pain, depression, anxiety and somatization across three platforms: the Indiana University Center for Health Services and Outcomes Research, the VA HSR&D Center of Excellence on Implementing Evidence-Based Practice, and Regenstrief Institute's Center for Health Services Research.
Dr. Kroenke is currently the recipient of a VA HSR&D investigator initiated research project or IIR, “Stepped Care to Optimize Pain care Effectiveness (SCOPE)", which is a randomized trial to assess the effectiveness of a collaborative care intervention for veteran primary care patients suffering from chronic musculoskeletal pain. He is co-PI for the Indiana Clinical and Translational Science Institute (CTSI) and Clinical Investigator Training Enhancement (CITE) Program and Director of the IU Graduate School Master of Science in Clinical Research program. He currently serves on the Institute of Medicine Board on Select Populations and was appointed in early 2012 to the Canadian Science Advisory Committee to provide expert advice on specific Veterans' health issues to the Canadian Minister of Veterans Affairs. His peer-reviewed research publication number more than 280.
I. VA HSR&D IIR 11/01/2009 - 12/31/2013
"Stepped Care to Optimize Pain Effectiveness care (SCOPE)" (PI)
This is a randomized clinical trial to test whether a collaborative care intervention between a nurse care manager and pain specialist team optimizing analgesic management and working with primary care physicians can optimize the outcomes of patients with chronic musculoskeletal pain.
II. NIH/NCRR UL1 05/19/2008 - 04/30/2013
"Indiana Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute (CTSI)" (PI: Anantha Shekhar)
To establish a new institute that facilitates clinical and translational biomedical research across the state of Indiana. This is an institute established by the CTSA to Indiana and Purdue Universities. Role: Co-Investigator (Director of Research Education and Career Development).
III. NIH/NCRR KL2 05/01/2008 - 04/30/2013
"Indiana Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute – K12 Program" (PI: Anantha Shekhar)
To train postdoctoral young investigators in clinical and translational research. Role: Co-Investigator (Director of KL2 Program).
IV. NIH/NCRR R25 09/18/2011 - 08/31/2016
"Training in Research for Behavioral Oncology and Cancer Control Program" (PI: Victoria Champion)
To train pre-doctoral students and post-doctoral fellows in multi-disciplinary behavioral oncology research to help develop a new generation of researchers who can integrate basic, clinical, and behavioral sciences. Role: Co-Investigator (Associate Director).
V. NIH/NIA U01 09/15/2008 - 08/31/2011
"MSI-FLASH: Paced Respiration for Breast Cancer Survivors" (PI: Carpenter)
The initiative establishes a multi-site research network called MsFLASH (Menopause Strategies Finding Lasting Answers for Symptoms and Health) to conduct clinical trials of promising treatments for the most common symptoms of the menopausal transition. Role: Co-Investigator.
|Selected Publications|||||Go To PubMed List >>|
- Kroenke K, Theobald D, Wu J, Norton K, Morrison G, Carpenter J, Tu W (2010). Effect of telecare management on pain and depression in cancer patients: a randomized trial. JAMA 304:163-171. PMCID: PMC Journal.
- Dube P, Kroenke K, Bair MJ, Theobald D, Williams LS (2010). The P4 screener: evaluation of a brief measure for assessing potential suicidal risk in 2 randomized effectiveness trials of primary care and oncology patients. Prim Care Companion J Clin Psychiatry 12 (6):e1-e8. PMC Journal.
- Kroenke K, Spitzer RL, Williams JBW, Löwe B (2010) The Patient Health Questionnaire somatic,
anxiety, and depressive symptom scales: a systematic review. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 32:345-359.
- Krebs EE, Bair MJ, Wu J, Damush TM, Tu W, Kroenke K (2010). Comparative responsiveness of pain outcome measures among primary care patients with musculoskeletal pain. Med Care 48:1007-1014. PMCID: PMC Journal.
- Kroenke K, Bair MJ, Damush TM, Wu J, Hoke S, Sutherland J, Tu W (2009). Optimized antidepressant therapy and pain self-management in primary care patients with depression and
musculoskeletal pain and depression: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA, 301:2099-2110. PMCID: PMC2884224.
- Kroenke K, Krebs EE, Bair MJ (2009). Pharmacotherapy of chronic pain: a synthesis of
recommendations from systematic reviews. Gen Hosp Psychiatry, 31:206-219.
- Kroenke K (2009). Measuring and distilling the impact of pain. Pain 2009;142:7-8.
- Krebs EE, Lorenz KA, Bair MJ, Damush TM, Wu J, Sutherland J, Asch S, Kroenke K (2009). Development and initial validation of the PEG, a 3-item scale assessing pain severity and
functional interference. J Gen Intern Med, 24:733–738. [PMCID: PMC2686775]
- Damush TM, Wu J, Bair MJ, Sutherland JM, Kroenke K (2008). Self-management practices among primary care patients with musculoskeletal pain and depression. J Behav Med, 31:301-307.
- Williams LS, Kroenke K, Bakas T, Plue LD, Brizendine E, Tu W, Hendrie H (2007). Care management of post-stroke depression: a randomized controlled trial. Stroke, 38:998-1003.
- Hunkeler EM, Katon W, Tang L, Williams JW Jr, Kroenke K, Lin E, Harpole L, Arean P, Levine S, Grypma LM, Hargreaves WA, Unutzer J (2006). Long term outcomes from the IMPACT randomized trial for depressed elderly patients in primary care. Brit Med J, 332:259-263. [PMC 1360390].
- Kroenke K, Shen J, Oxman TE, Williams JW Jr, Dietrich AJ (2008). Impact of pain on the
outcomes of depression treatment: results from the RESPECT trial. Pain, 134:209-215.
- Strine TW, Mokdad AH, Balluz LS, Gonzalez O, Crider R, Berry JT, Kroenke K (2008). Depression and anxiety in the United States: findings from the 2006 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System. Psychiatric Services 59:1383–1390.
- Kroenke K, Spitzer RL, Williams JBW, Monahan PO, Löwe B (2007). Anxiety disorders in primary care: prevalence, impairment, comorbidity, and detection. Ann Intern Med, 146:317-325.
- Hunkeler EM, Katon W, Tang L, Williams JW Jr, Kroenke K, Lin E, Harpole L, Arean P, Levine S, Grypma LM, Hargreaves WA, Unutzer J (2006). Long term outcomes from the IMPACT randomized trial for depressed elderly patients in primary care. Brit Med J, 332:259-263. PMCID: PMC1360390.
- Kroenke K, West SL, Swindle R, Gilsenan A, Eckert G, Dolor R, et al (2001). Similar effectiveness of paroxetine, fluoxetine, and sertraline in primary care: a randomized trial. JAMA, 286:2947-2955.