Neale R. Chumbler, PhD
Professor of Sociology and Chair, Department of Sociology, Indiana University School of Liberal Arts at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis
Research Scientist, Indiana University Center for Health Services and Outcomes Research
Research Scientist, Center for Health Services Research, Regenstrief Institute, Inc.
Core Investigator, VA HSR&D Center of Excellence on Implementing Evidence-Based Practice
Director, Institute for Research on Social Issues
Dr. Chumbler, Professor and Chair of the Sociology Department, is a Core Investigator in the VA HSR&D Center of Excellence on Implementing Evidence-based Practice (CIEBP) and Regenstrief Institute Research Scientist. He currently directs both the Survey Research Center at Indiana University Purdue University-Indianapolis and the Institute for Research on Social Issues at the Indiana University School of Liberal Arts (IUPUI).
Dr. Chumbler has extensive experience developing, implementing, and evaluating questionnaire surveys and in program evaluation of community-based health interventions. He currently leads two large scale program evaluations that were funded by the Maternal & Child Health Division and the Indiana State Department of Health. He has evaluated psychosocial interventions primarily involving community-dwelling individuals who have difficulties accessing timely services. He has had extensive experience using multi-methods and performing process evaluations in older adults. He has evaluated studies on complex health information technology interventions that deliver accessible care for functionally impaired individuals that ultimately improve patient centered outcomes and avert preventable health services and to evaluate VA stroke quality performance indicators. Overall, he has written and published over 87 articles in the areas of health services research, program evaluation and medical sociology.
I. Indiana State Depart of Health 07/01/2008 - 03/31/2012
"Public Attitudes Toward Second-hand Smoke"
II. Indiana State Depart of Health 06/01/2011 - 08/31/2011
"PPASS Program Implementation and Comprehensive Evaluation"
III. Indiana State Depart of Health 02/01/2011 - 08/31/2011
"Social Immersive Media Project for Life-course Education (SIMPLE) Evaluation Project"
|Selected Publications|||||Go To PubMed List >>|
- Haggstrom DA, Saleem JJ, Russ AL, Jones J, Russell SA, & Chumbler NR. Lessons learned from usability testing of a personal health record. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association 2011;18:i13-i17.
- Chumbler NR, Rose D, Griffiths P, Quigley P, McGee-Hernandez N, Carlson KA, Vandenbery P, Morey MC, Sanford J, Hoenig H. Study Protocol: Home-based Telehealth Stroke Care: A Randomized trial for Veterans. 2010. Trials. 11:74.
- Chumbler NR, Quigley P, Sanford J, Griffiths P, Rose D, Morey MC, Ely EW, & Hoenig H. 2010. “Implementing tele-rehabilitation for stroke rehabilitation with community dwelling veterans: Lessons Learned.” International Journal of Telerehabilitation 2(1):15-21.
- Jia H, Chumbler NR, Wang X, Chuang HC, Damush TM, Cameon R. Williams LS. 2010. Racial and ethnic disparities in post-stroke depression detection. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 25(3):298-304.
- Chumbler NR, Haggstrom DH, Saleem J. Implementation of health information technology in VHA to support transformational change: Telehealth and personal health records. 2010. Apr. 23. [Epub ahead of print]. Medical Care.
- Chumbler NR, Chuang HC, Wu SS, Wang X, Kobb R, Haggstrom D, Jia H. 2009. Mortality Risk for Diabetes Patients in a Care Coodination/Home-Telehealth Program. Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare 15:98-101.
- Bravata DM, Daggett VS, Woodward-Hagg H, Damush T, Plue L, Russell S, Allen G, Williams LS, Harezlak J, & Chumbler NR*. 2009. Assessment of the implementation of a nursing admission dysphagia screening tool for veterans with acute ischemic stroke. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development 46(9):1127-1134.
- Chumbler NR, Kobb R, Brennan D, & Rabinowitz T. 2008. Recommendations for research design of telehealth studies. Telemedicine and e-Health 14(9):986-989.
- Chumbler NR, Cohen DM, Bhattacharyya I, Sweitzer J, & Dolan TA. 2007. “University of Florida College of Dentistry’s case of the month: A web-based continuing dental education course for clinical oral pathology.” Journal of Dental Education 71(2):260-268.
- Chumbler NR, Neugaard B, Ryan P, Kobb R, Qin H, & Joo Y. 2005. “Assessment of health services utilization and health-related quality of life in veterans with Diabetes enrolled in a VHA Community-Care Coordination Service program.” Evaluation and the Health Professions 28:464-478.