«

»

Apr 25

Executive Board Voting

NBA-IU Needs a New Executive Board!

The nominations have been verified and now it is time to vote! According to the NBA-IU constitution, only registered member of NBA-IU are allowed to vote. So, if you are a registered member of NBA-IU, you can vote for the following candidates. Please follow the instructions sent to you via e-mail to vote.

If you are ready to vote, click here.

All candidates are listed in alphabetical order.

Presidential CandidatesBrian Corbin

Brian is currently the NBA-IU president and will run un-opposed.

Vice-Presidential Candidates

Evan Barry

Evan Barry

Hello Everyone! My name is Evan Barry and I am a sophomore music education major with a conducting minor and a concentration in percussion from Lake Zurich, IL. I was section leader and center snare in high school and I also am a student conductor for the Lake Zurich Summer Band Program, therefore I have strong leadership abilities that will allow me to aid in leading this organization. If I’m put into office I will be sure to work closely with the rest of the board to bring great masterclasses and opportunities. For example, I would love to get people who are interested more experience with conducting and also with directing jazz bands. I also enjoy multicultural music and incorporating it into band programs and would love to work with the board in order to provide more opportunities for masterclasses on that topic, as well. But, I would also work to provide masterclasses on topics that other people are passionate about. I would really love to NBA-IU’s Vice President next year and would do everything in my power to make it the most beneficial experience for all of its members.

Isaac Brinberg

Isaac Brinberg

My name is Isaac Brinberg and I am currently running for Treasurer and Vice-President of our NBA-IU chapter. As a treasurer I will manage our funds and maintain our books in accordance with University policy as well as help plan events for the chapter. As a Vice-President I will contribute to the Executive Board and serve as President in absence of the President. I have previous experience running student organizations in high school, which has instilled skills to help organize NBA-IU. I have several ideas for our NBA-IU chapter. My first idea is to create a comprehensive marketing strategy to recruit new members. Since we are a very young organization I feel that recruiting should be a priority. We can focus recruiting on drawing from members of NAfME as well as advocating NBA to the general Jacobs community through posters, IDS advertisements, and Word-of-Mouth. I believe NBA is on the right path with Internet-based advocacy such as our Website and Facebook page. A Twitter feed for the NBA chapter can enhance our Internet advocacy and also provide an additional communication link between the Executive Board and Chapter Members. A third idea I have is to organize Instrument workshops that provide additional expert information about an instrument family or specific instrument to supplement our Instrument Technique class knowledge. I am very excited to be part of a young and growing organization!

Emily Kinnunen

Emily Kinnunen

Hello NBA-IU members! I am Emily Kinnunen and I am currently a freshman Music Education/Ethnomusicology Major here at IU. I am originally from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I started playing the french horn in the 4th grade and fell in love with it instantly. I have been a member of the Gateway High School Marching Band, Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band, and Orchestra, the River City Youth Brass Band, the Westmoreland Youth Symphony Orchestra, the Musicians Concert Band and the Pittsburgh Horn Club. I also performed with the PMEA All-State and Honors ensembles from 2008-2011 and the 2009 Macy’s Great American Marching Band on Thanksgiving Day in NYC.

Band has played a vital role in my musical experience. Throughout High School, my life truly revolved around 3 things: Brass Band, Marching Band, and Concert Band. The purpose of the National Band Association is to promote the musical and educational significance of bands. It is dedicated to the attainment of a high level of excellence for bands and band music. NBA is an organization that is open to anyone and everyone interested in bands, regardless of the length of experience, type of position held, or the specific level at which he/she works. Even though my time here at IU has not been very long, I have seen how the bands at IU are truly treated by the students. If I was chosen to be on the executive board of NBA-IU, I would like to change how people truly see the bands at IU. As NAfME is to the music education majors, I would also like to help make NBA-IU the place for all instrumental music education majors to go to for resources. My goals as a potential executive board member are very simple: I want NBA-IU to be a significant organization at IU and support the fundamentals that the National Band Association was founded on. Besides making NBA-IU better known, I want to help the organization make the Department of Bands better known and to help NBA-IU raise money to help make the organization better known. As a potential Vice President or Treasurer of NBA-IU, I hope to make all of these goals possible. I want to spread my love of band and all the opportunities it has given me to the students of IU.

Hannah Romberg

Hannah Romberg

Hi, my name is Hannah Romberg! I am a sophomore music education major, and I play percussion. I think that I would be able to contribute a lot to the NBA executive board because I bring a lot of skills and experiences from past positions that I have held. In high school I was president of the National Honor Society, where I presided at and wrote agendas for meetings, organized events, and approved the budget each year. I believe that these experiences will help me as I work with the president to help NBA-IU run as smoothly as possible.

Secretary Candidates

There are currently no nominations for secretary. If you would like to be the secretary of NBA-IU, please e-mail us at nbaiu@indiana.edu

Treasurer Candidates

Evan BarryEvan Barry

Hello Everyone! My name is Evan Barry and I am a sophomore music education major with a conducting minor and a concentration in percussion from Lake Zurich, IL. I would love to be a part of the executive board next year and keep this organization going strong. If elected treasurer I will handle the funds of the organization with great care and great responsibility. I would not take this position lightly; I am an organized person that takes great pride in my work. Along with this, I would enjoy the opportunity to work with the board in order to spend funds in a reasonable manner so that everyone can get as much as they can from the organization. I hope you’ll consider me as your choice for treasurer of NBA-IU!

Isaac BrinbergIsaac Brinberg

Daniel FlynnDaniel Flynn

Before I explain why I am well suited to be your 2012-13 Treasurer, I would like to briefly state my appreciation for being considered. This organization has had a very positive impact on those interested in band here at IU, and I’m very excited for the prospect of continuing in this positive direction as a member of the executive board.

In considering the NBA-IU Constitution and in discussion with current treasurer Casey Keller, I believe I am well-suited to meet the needs of my prospective role as Treasurer; in organizing and collecting funds, administrative duties of the organization, and working with the executive board in a general sense. I do not underestimate the hard-earned dollars of our students here at IU, and I would make sure they are treated with appropriate conduct as mandated by the Constitution. Additionally, I am a member of NAfME-IU and Kappa Kappa Psi, and given that our recent collaborations with these groups have gone so well, I can only see my membership between these groups as a positive quality for NBA-IU. I also value and respect the leaders of these organizations, and would seek their ideas in effort to better my work as part of Treasurer of NBA-IU.

Emily KinnunenEmily Kinnunen

Hannah RombergHannah Romberg

Hi, my name is Hannah Romberg! I am a sophomore music education major, and I play percussion. I think that I would be able to contribute a lot to the NBA executive board because I bring a lot of skills and experiences from past positions that I have held. As a part of my summer job with the Kenai Watershed Forum, I assisted the Office Accountant for several weeks as we organized paperwork and payment for the students that would be attending our camp. I believe that this experience will be invaluable as I keep financial records and disburse funds for the NBA.

Historian Candidates

Evan BarryEvan Barry

Hello Everyone! My name is Evan Barry and I am a sophomore music education major with a conducting minor and a concentration in percussion from Lake Zurich, IL. You may be wondering, what does this guy know about history? And let me tell you that I don’t know much but I did get an A in it in high school! Anyways, if nominated I would love to work with and assist the rest of the board in sending an updated newsletter with interesting and pertinent information for all of its members. And I would love to keep the NBA-IU Website up-to-date with great resources for future band directors as well as upcoming masterclasses. I am tech saavy and would love to even add new things to the website such as interesting articles on pedagogy, repertoire, etc. and would even welcome other members’ input. It would be an honor to be your historian and I would love the opportunity!

Hannah RombergHannah Romberg

Hi, my name is Hannah Romberg! I am a sophomore music education major, and I play percussion. I think that I would be able to contribute a lot to the NBA executive board because I bring a lot of skills and experiences from past positions that I have held. For several years, I was an opinion columnist for my local newspaper, where I gained invaluable experience learning about writing and formatting, which I feel would help me to be able to create successful newsletters for the NBA.

Post expires at 11:59pm on Saturday April 28th, 2012