Various forms of financial assistance are available for NELC students, including the following:
- University Fellowships: Awarded by the department
- Associate Instructorships: Subject to availability, awarded by the department
- Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships: Awarded by area studies centers on campus
- Work-study Opportunities: Graduate Assistantships and academic appointments
- Awards from Other Departments: For students interested in Jewish Studies: Borns Jewish Studies Awards
The priority date for most forms of financial assistance is March 1 (January 1 for international graduate students). The Office of Student Financial Assistance processes applications for loans and work-study for both graduate and undergraduate students. The proper forms can be obtained directly from their office.
NELC Graduate students are asked to remember the importance of filing a FAFSA (a Free Application for Federal Student Aid) in order to be eligible for financial aid. Please refer to the Office of Student Financial Assistance for additional information about the FAFSA guidelines and requirements.
Additionally, please visit the IU GradGrants Center at the Wells Library for a wealth of information on financial aid.
*Note: The Near Eastern Language and Culture Department does not handle FLAS Fellowships at this time. Please review this webpage for more detailed information on the programs that do award this Fellowship.