Çiğdem Balım Harding
- Senior Lecturer, Department of Near Eastern Languages and Cultures
- Curriculum Vitae
- PhD, University of Washington, 1979
- BA, Hacettepe University, 1974
- Languages and cultures in contact
- Migration and transnational communities
- Contemporary Turkic languages, peoples, and communities
Office: Global and International Studies Building 3056
Phone: (812) 855-9483
Courses Recently Taught
- Language and Society in the Middle East
- Transnational Islam: Muslim Communities in Europe and the USA
- Teaching Less Commonly Taught Languages: Theory, Methodology and Techniques
- Modern Literatures of the Middle East in Translation
- Contemporary Turkey
- Turkic Linguistics
- Co-editor, with A. Aydingün. Bagimsizliklarinin 20. Yilinda Orta Asya Cumhuriyetleri ve Türk Dilli Halklari ve Türkiye ile iliskiler [Central Asian Republics and their Turkic-languages speaking peoples on the 20th anniversary of their independence, and relations with Turkey]. Ankara: Atatürk Kültür Kurumu, 2012.
- Co-editor, with I. Aydingün. Bagimsizliklarinin 20. Yilinda Azerbaycan, Gürcistan ve Ukrayna'da Türk Dilli Halklar ve Türkiye ile iliskiler [Azerbaijan, Georgia and Ukraine and their Turkic-languages speaking peoples on the 20th anniversary of their independence, and relations with Turkey]. Ankara: Atatürk Kültür Kurumu, 2012.
- "O'zbekistan Respublikasi: Ozbek Modeli," (with a contribution from E. Gürbüz). In Bagimsizliklarin 20. Yilinda Orta Asya Cumhuriyetleri ve Türk Dilli Halklari ve Türkiye ile iliskiler, edited by A. Aydingün and Ç. Balim, 221–313. Ankara: Atatürk Kültür Kurumu, 2012.
"Turkish Literature between the 10th and 18th centuries." In The New Cambridge History of Islam, Vol. 4. Cambridge: Canmbridge University Press (2010).
"History Mirrored in Words: Language Policy in Azerbaijan." In The Azerbaijanis, edited by N. Awde and F. J. Hill, 63–81. London: Bennett and Bloom 2009.
- "Heritage of the Epics: A Brief Overview of Literature." In The Azerbaijanis, edited by N. Awde and F. J. Hill, 91–105. London: Bennett and Bloom, 2009.
- Editor and contributor, with Geoffrey Lewis and Colin Imber. The Balance of Truth: Essays in Honour of Geoffrey Lewis. İstanbul: İSİS, 2000.
- Editor and contributor, World Bibliographical Series: Turkey. Oxford: ABC–Clio Press, 1999.
- Editor and contributor. Turkey: Political, Economic and Social Challenges for the 1990s. Leiden: Brill, 1995.
- Meskhetian Turks: An Introduction to their History, Culture, and U.S. Resettlement Experience, with Aysegül Aydingün, Matthew Hoover, Igor Kuznetsov, and Steve Swerdlow. Washington DC: CAL Publications, October 2006.