- Professor, Department of Folklore and Ethnomusicology
- Professor, Department of Near Eastern Languages and Cultures
- Affiliated Professor, African Studies Program
- Curriculum Vitae
- PhD, Indiana University, 1967 (Folklore, with additional interdisciplinary training in Psychology and Anthropology)
- MA, Indiana University, 1964 (Folklore)
- Psychological approaches to traditional culture
- Religion, myth, and ritual
- Narrative folk poetry
- Kinship and folklore;
- Typology and classification
- Elected: A Fellow of the American Folklore Society (October 2006)
- Elected "Consultant" to the Saudi Society for Folklore Studies (October 2006)
- Senior Scholar Award from the Institute of Advanced Studies in Anthropology, National Museum of Ethnology, Osaka, Japan (2002)
Office: 506 N. Fess, Room 101
Phone: (812) 855-4124
Courses Recently Taught
- Tales Women Tell in the Middle East and the Behavioral Patterns the Portray;
- Folklore and Psychology
- Comparative Approaches in Folklore
- Religion Among the Folk in Egypt. Westport, CT and London: Praeger, 2008.
- A Motif Index of The Thousand and One Nights. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2006.
- Editor, with Jane Garry. Archetypes and Motifs in Folklore and Literature: A Handbook. Armonk, NY: M.E. Sharpe, 2005.
- Types of the Folktale in the Arab World: A Demographically Oriented Tale-Type Index. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2004.