- Associate Professor, Department of History
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Near Eastern Languages and Cultures
- PhD, Michigan State University, 1989
- West African history
- Muslim communities
- Social/cultural history
Office: Ballantine Hall 731
Phone: (812) 855-5212
Courses Recently Taught
- African civilizations
- History of Christianity and Islam in Africa
- History of Eastern Africa
- History of Western Africa
- "Friday Prayers at Wa" (CD-ROM unit). In Five Windows Into Africa, edited by Patrick McNaughton, John Hanson, dele jegede, Ruth Stone, and N. Brian Winchester. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2000.
- Migration, Jihad and Muslim Authority in West Africa: The Futanke Colonies in Karta. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1996.
- Editor and translator, with David Robinson. After the Jihad: The Reign of Ahmad al-Kabir in the Western Sudan: An Anthology of Arabic Documents. East Lansing: Michigan State University Press, 1991.