R. Kevin Jaques
- Associate Professor, Department of Religious Studies
- Director, Islamic Studies Program
- Affiliated Associate Professor, Department of Near Eastern Languages and Cultures
- PhD, Emory University, 2001
- Islamic legal history
- Islam in Southeast Asia and Indian Ocean communities
- Religious authority in times of social and cultural upheaval
- Methods and methodologies in the academic study of religion
Office: Sycamore Hall, Room 223
Phone: (812) 855-6907
Courses Recently Taught
- Introduction to Islam
- Religions of the West
- Life and Legend of Muhammad
- Prophets, Gods, and Demons: Islam in Southeast Asia
- Knowing the Will of God in Islam: Law
- Knowing the Will of God in Islam: Theology
- Authority, Conflict, and the Transmission of Diversity in Medieval Islamic Law. Leiden: Brill, 2006.
- Ibn Hajar al'Asqalani. The Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies Makers of Islamic Civilization Series. Oxford: Oxford University Press, in press.
- "The Contestation and Resolution of Inner and Inter-School Conflicts through Biography." In Plurality and Pluralism in Muslim Contexts, ed. Zulfikar Hirji. I.B. Tauris, forthcoming.
- "'The Other Rabi': Biographical traditions and the Development of Early Shafi'i Authority." Islamic Law and Society 14 (2), July, 2007: 143–79.