- Associate Professor, Department of Central Eurasian Studies
- Associate Professor, Department of Comparative Literature
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Near Eastern Languages and Cultures
- PhD, University of Chicago, 1993 (Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations)
- Iranian Studies
- Persian literature and literary history (in particular the literature of the 16th and 17th centuries in Iran)
- India and Central Asia
- Literature, architecture, and topography
- Sufism and literature
- Comparative studies in the Baroque
- Translation and translation studies
Office: Goodbody Hall 207
Phone: (812) 855-9665
Courses Recently Taught
- Elementary, intermediate, and advanced Persian
- Research in Classical Persian Texts (various topics)
- Persian Mystical Literature (in English)
- Literature and Cinema of Modern Iran (in English)
- Poetics of Mysticism
- History and Theory of Translation
- Welcoming Fighānī: Imitation and Poetic Individuality in the Safavid-Mughal Ghazal. Mazda: Costa Mesa, CA, 1998.
- Memorial of God's Friends: Selected Biographies from Farid al-Din 'Attār's Tazkerat al-owliyā′. Translated with an introduction and annotations (publication expected in 2008).
- "The Palace of Praise and the Melons of Time: Descriptive Patterns in ′Abdī Shīrāzī's Garden of Eden." In Eurasian Studies 2 (2003): 1–29.
- "'The Equal of Heaven's Vault': The Design, Ceremony, and Poetry of the 'asanābād Bridge." In Writers and Rulers: Perspectives on their Relationship from Abbasid to Safavid Times, ed. B. Grundler and L. Marlow, 195–216. Wiesbaden: Reichert Verlag, 2004.
- "Words and Deeds: Message and Structure in 'Attār's Tadhkirat al-awliyā′." In Attār and the Persian Sufi Tradition, ed. L. Lewisohn and C. Shackle, 75–92. London, 2006.
- "Linguistic and Rhetorical Aspects of the Signature Verse (takhallus) in the Persian Ghazal." In Edebiyat 8 (1997): 239–71.