- Assistant Professor, Department of Folklore and Ethnomusicology
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Near Eastern Languages and Cultures
- Director of the Indiana University Middle Eastern Ensemble
- Curriculum Vitae
- PhD, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, 2006
- Performance ethnography
- Social theory
- Ethnomusicological study of violence and sociocultural trauma
Courses Recently Taught
- Activism, Engagement, and Critical Ethnography
- Popular Culture and Politics in the Middle East
- Introduction to World Music and Cultures
- Popular Culture in the Middle East
- Music and Social Protest
- Music and Violence
- Music, War, and Peace
- Music, Identity, and Global citizenship
Office: 506 N. Fess, Room 105
Phone: (812) 855-0396
- "Imaginaries of Exile and Emergence in Israeli and Palestinian Hip Hop" The Drama Review 57/3: 69-87.
- Palestinian Music and Song: Expression and Resistance since 1900. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press (forthcoming 2013)
- “Revivals and New Arrivals: Protest Song in the al-Aqsa Intifada.” In Music, Politics, and Violence, eds. Kip Pegley and Susan Fast, pp. 129-149. Wesleyan: Wesleyan University Press 2012.
- "Carrying Words Like Weapons: Hip Hop and the Poetics of Palestinian Identities in Israel." In Min-Ad: Israel Studies in Musicology, 7, no. 2 (2010): 116–30.
- "Geographies of the Body: Violence and Manhood in Palestine." In Ethnomusicology Forum 19, no. 2 (2010).
- "Music, Folklore, and Nationalism among Palestinian Refugees in Amman, Jordan (2003–2005)." In the EVIA Digital Archive (2010).
- My Voice is My Weapon: Music, Nationalism, and the Poetics of Palestinian Resistance. Durham, NC: Duke University Press (forthcoming).
- "Poetics and the Performance of Violence in Israel/Palestine." In Ethnomusicology 53:1 (2009).
- "Performing Palestine: Resisting the Occupation and Reviving Jerusalem's Social and Cultural Identity through the Arts." Jerusalem Quarterly 25, no. 1 (2006): 5–19.