- Professor, Near Eastern Languages and Cultures
- Director of Graduate Studies, Department of Near Eastern Languages and Cultures
- PhD, Harvard, 1983 (Near Eastern Languages)
- Islamic philosophy
- Islamic intellectual history, emphasis on the cultural role of philosophy and science
- Baha'i studies
- Islamic Studies
- Islamic History
Office: Goodbody Hall 222
Phone: (812) 855-8689
Courses Recently Taught
- Islamic Philosphy
- Military History of the Middle East
- Readings in Classical Arabic Literature
- Koranic Studies
- God and Logic in Islam: The Caliphate of Reason. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2011.
- "Essays and Notes on Babi and Baha'i History." Occasional Papers in Shaykhi, Babi and Baha'i Studies, Vol. 6, No. 1 (2002).
- The Wisdom of the Mystic East: Suhrawardi and Platonic Orientalism. Albany: SUNY Press, 2001.
- The Philosophy of Illumination of Shihab al-Din Yahya Suhrawardi (with Hossein Ziai). Brigham Young University Press: Provo, 1999.
- Sacred Acts, Sacred Time, Sacred Space: Essays on Bahá'í Law and History. Oxford: George Ronald, 1996.
- Translator. The Beloved: Reflections on the Path of Love, by Kahlil Gibran. Ashland, OR: White Cloud Press, 1997.
- Translator. The Storm: Prose Poems and Short Stories, by Kahlil Gibran. Ashland, OR: White Cloud Press, 1993.
- The Science of Mystic Lights: Qutb al-Din Shirazi and the Illuminationist Tradition in Islamic Philosophy. Cambridge, MA: Center for Middle Eastern Studies of Harvard University, 1992.