Skip to main content

Arrange for Credit to Transfer

1. Contact your program/provider to find out what college or university will issue your transcript at the end of the program. The transcript might come from a U.S. or foreign institution, but must be an official transcript from an accredited school or university and display letter grades. Certificates upon completion of program will not be accepted by International Admissions for articulation. 

2. Once you confirm where your transcript will be issued from, check the Credit Transfer Service to see whether the transcript has already been accepted at IU. You will need to search by the location of the institution providing the transcript, NOT necessarily the location of your program. For more help navigating the Credit Transfer Service, see our online guide to the CTS.

3. Submit a Credit Transfer Agreement form. To access the form, create an account in iStart. Log in under the Full Client Service window. After logging in, click the Admissions box on the side menu and begin the CTA by clicking the "Credit Transfer Agreement" link.  Deadlines for submission: Nov. 15 (spring programs), May 1 (summer, fall and academic year programs). No submissions will be accepted after the deadline.  Below are a few tips to help fill out the form:

  • Please note if you want credit to count towards the World Languages & Cultures requirement a CTA is required.
  • The university issuing your transcript is NOT Indiana University. The student must contact the provider if the school of record cannot be easily determined by searching the provider website. To ensure transferability, request a sample transcript from the provider to submit with your CTA.
  • Please fill out the form as completely as possible. All sections (including those without an asterisk) are important to complete in order to receive the most accurate information on how your credit will likely transfer back to IU.
  • Credit from no more than two programs and a maximum of six courses per program will be accepted for evaluation for each semester you plan to enroll. Listing all possible course you are likely to take abroad does not limit you to taking all of the courses listed; it does, however, provide you with the most information possible on how credits will transfer back to Indiana University IF you take the courses you listed.
    • Note: Credits and grades earned will not count in your IU GPA.
    • Note: Many courses may initially transfer back as undistributed 100-level credit (appears on your returned CTA as DEPT-UN 100). If you only need elective credit to graduate, you can leave these courses as they are. Otherwise, please continue reading below. Filling out the CTA will allow you to view how credit will transfer back if not at the undistributed 100 level. IF the deadline to complete the CTA has passed, credit can still be transferred back.
  • Expect a 4-6 week processing time. IU only gives transfer credit based on an official transcript from a recognized or accredited institution of higher education. CTA forms are processed by The Office of International Admissions and not the Office of Overseas Study; questions regarding the processing time, technical assistance, or articulation of credits should be directed to their office.

4. If you need courses from your non-IU program to equate to specific IU equivalencies (300/400 level hours, major/minor requirements, general education requirements, etc.), then you will need to get your courses approved by the respective department at IU. It is up to each academic department or school to determine how they approve transfer credit from study abroad programs. Below are some ways that you can be proactive about taking appropriate classes abroad:

  • Consult your Advisement Report on One.IU find out what types of courses you have left to graduate (elective hours, major/minor requirements, distribution, etc.). Confirm that you will complete the residency requirement outside of program credits. Please note that credit from non-IU programs will not count towards residency credit.
  • Compare course descriptions/syllabi for the courses offered on your non-IU program to course descriptions/syllabi of the course requirements you wish to fulfill at IU. Syllabi are generally available on the program provider's website.
  • Choose courses at a similar level to the ones you are required to take at IU, noting that some institutions may operate on a different system. A general rule of thumb is that if you need to fulfill upper-level requirements at IU, do not enroll in introductory level courses abroad, but rather in more advanced courses.
  • Do not take classes Pass/Fail. Transfer credit is only awarded for letter grades of "C" or better.
  • Once you have done the above research on your own, and gathered information about your study abroad courses, you should meet with your major advisor about the courses you have remaining in your degree requirements, how many elective hours you can afford, limitations to the amount of credit you can complete abroad, or if there are any courses that must be taken on the IU campus. Seniors should check their residency status before committing to a program.
  • You can also meet with any departments outside your major or school to discuss course approvals and equivalencies. Be sure to have done the above research ahead of time and provide course information such as detailed course descriptions and syllabi from your non-IU program.

5. While abroad, keep course materials (syllabi, graded coursework, reading lists, etc.) for all courses. Bring these materials home with you to petition for course approvals, if necessary.

Proceed to Step #3 (of 8):

Apply to the Program >>

I'm absolutely confident that America has no better ambassadors to offer than our young people."

-President Barack Obama