820 N. Walnut Grove
The Utility Distribution Group operates and maintains 722.6 Km (449 miles) worth of distribution systems which transport chilled water, electric power, natural gas, domestic/drinking water, sanitary-sewer/waste water, storm water, and steam and steam condensate.
Chilled Water Systems
- 23.5 Km (14 miles) of chilled water lines distribute chilled water to cool 6 million square feet of campus buildings.
- Total chilled water capacity; 17,917 cooling tons (215 million btu/hr).
- Campus Lighting circuits and street light maintenance. Distribution maintains 2,894 street and path lights.
- Electrical power distribution, including 4,160 and 12,700 High Voltage electric circuits on campus.
- 174 Km (108 miles) of High Voltage conductors, 633 High Voltage transformers, and 177 Km (110 miles) of outdoor lighting and power circuits.
- IU Bloomington purchases approximately $22 million worth of electricity from Duke Energy each year.
- Special Note: If you notice an IU street light is out, copy the light no. and call 855-8728 or 855-9514, or email the Distribution Supervisor at email@example.com.
- Distribution maintains 2.1 Km (1.3 miles) of natural gas piping.
- Natural gas is purchased from Vectren.
Drinking/Potable Water Systems
- 56 Km (34.5 miles) of domestic water lines/pipes.
- 132 Fire Hydrants.
- Conduct periodic drinking/potable water quality sampling.
- Water is purchased from City of Bloomington Utilities.
Sanitary Sewer and Storm Water Systems
- 96 Km (59.6 miles) of sanitary sewer and storm water systems.
- Sanitary sewer water services purchased from City of Bloomington Utilities.
- Distribute 1.275 trillion pounds of steam per year to heat 12 million square feet of campus buildings.
- 34 Km (21 miles) of Steam and Steam Condensate piping.
- 17,499 cubic meters (618,000 cubic feet) of underground utility tunnels.
- To see current weather information go to IU weather website.