PSC in the News
- Master filmmaker Krzysztof Zanussi to speak at IU Cinema as part of film series (IU Newsroom, Aug. 29, 2014)
- Bill Johnston Wins 2014 Transatlantyk Prize/Bill Johnston laureatem Nagrody Transatlantyk 2014 (Culture.pl, June 15, 2014)
- Indiana University Experts Comment on Events in Ukraine (IU Newsroom, Feb. 25, 2014)
- Ambassador Lee A. Feinstein named founding dean of IU's School of Global and International Studies (IU Newsroom, Dec. 6, 2013)
- Ryszard Schnepf, Poland's ambassador to the US, visiting IU Bloomington (IU Newsroom Oct. 8, 2013)
- Printing course simulates publishing under Communist rule (IDS, Oct.14, 2010)
- IU students to print underground newspaper in one-of-a-kind course with legendary Polish journalist (IU Newsroom)
- IU Students learn underground press methods from Polish dissident (Herald Times)
Review of "Polish Music: Chopin & Beyond"
Herald Times reviewer, Peter Jacobi, said the following about the February 13, 2010 Polish Studies Center's Artists in Residence concert:
The musical fare was intriguingly varied, even in the works of Chopin selected, which included the expected piano piece, in this case the Ballade in F Minor, Opus 52, but also the Nocturne Number 20 in C-Sharp Minor, as transcribed for viola by the legendary William Primrose, and three songs.
A searing aria from “The Countess,” by Poland’s first opera composer of note, Stanisław Moniuszko, opened the program. Three lovely Preludes by Karol Szymanowski followed, hinting of Debussy and Scriabin. One heard two pieces by Grażyna Bacewicz, Poland’s leading woman composer in her time (1909-69): “Polish Caprice” for violin (transcribed for viola) and Rondo for Piano. Mieczyslaw Karłowicz, who died in 1909 at age 33 in an avalanche while mountain climbing, was represented by three songs, these of romantic and folk song flavor. Also performed was a Study for Piano by the avant garde 20th century Pole, Witold Lutosławski.
The range was considerable; so were the musical rewards.
Learn more about the concert by viewing the concert poster.