Various tools and devices from our equipment inventory may be borrowed to use for research and teaching activities at the IU Research and Teaching Preserve (RTP). Maps are also available. A field laboratory, observation deck at University Lake (Willard Pavilion), and a shelter house are located on the Griffy Woods property.
Please submit the online reservation form to reserve the Field Lab, shelter house, and/or Willard Pavilion. Contact the Preserve Manager at 812-855-8742 or email@example.com for information about equipment, maps, and facilities use.
Griffy Shelter House
Available equipment includes:
- Aluminum animal boxes
- Break bars
- Canoes with oars
- Chalkboard (at Griffy shelter house)
- DBH tape
- Digital scale (20 lb)
- Electronic caliper
- Forestry helmet/ear protectors
- GPS units
- Jon boats (14-foot, 4-6 person capacity) with oars
- Life jackets
- Measuring wheel
- Measuring tape, fiberglass, 300 ft.
- Measuring tape, fiberglass, 50 m.
- Muck boots (1 pair, size 42)
- Plant presses
- Post hole diggers
- PVC pipes to mark plots
- Radios, two-way (FRS/GMRS)
- Rain pants
- Scoop shovel
- Spotting scope
- Tape measure (long distance)
- Trash tongs
- Water carriers
The IURTP Field Lab has high-speed Internet access, including IU wireless capability. The Field Lab contains a dry lab with three Windows computers and a laser printer. ArcGIS software is accessible from the computers.
Communications and presentation equipment may be requested for use at the Field Lab. Available are:
- 80-inch monitor
- Apple laptop with Macintosh and Windows capabilities
- Multimedia projector
- Webcam (camera and mic) for Skype
USGS quad maps of the area as well as trail maps for the IU RTP properties are available.