Why volunteer? Helping others can make you happy and you get to hang out with other volunteers with similar interests and values.
Volunteer opportunities can contribute to your professional development as you develop skills of value in any profession - setting and achieving goals, teamwork, communication, and problem-solving.
Volunteering is one way to explore career options - by networking with professionals, volunteers can sometimes open doors to more a formal internship experiences or a job.
Bloomington Volunteer Opportunities of Special Interest to Our Majors (PDF)
The Bloomington Volunteer Network is an excellent resource:
- At myINvolvement.com, click the "Organizations" tab and then browse student organizations by category -- select "Service & Philanthropy".
- Student Advocates for Community Engagement (ACE's) can provide information about volunteering at select sites.
- Student Life & Learning - service groups and more...
Opportunities for students who love volunteering and the non-profit organizations who utilize volunteers:
- Service-Learning & Field Experience courses allow you to earn course credit while challenging you to use knowledge and skills acquired in your college classes to meet genuine community needs.
- Non-Profit Leadership Alliance program prepares and certifies future nonprofit professionals according to nationally validated standards. The NPLA certificate is intended to provide participants with the knowledge and expertise essential to emerging leaders in the field of nonprofit management.
- International Volunteer Programs Association - search for opportunities by country, activity, and duration.
- Council on International Educational Exchange
- Peace Corps
- Volunteer for Peace - UN Volunteers
The Hutton International Experiences Program (IEP) grants help students with good grades participate in volunteer service abroad, study abroad, overseas research, international internships or student teaching in foreign countries. You do not need to belong to Hutton to be eligible.
- Prospective Majors
- Academic Advising
- Academic Support
- Career Development
- Co-Curricular Activities
- Degrees, Minor & Certificate
- Experiential Learning
- Graduate School
- Research Opportunities
- Scholarships, Aid & Grants